I want a $12-million dollar refrigerator...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Last time I priced refrigerators, I was shocked to see average prices of $1,500 to $3,000-plus. But 12 million a piece? It boggles my mind. How can two refrigerators cost 24-million bucks? For that kind of money, the refrigerators should come with a house. Heck, it should come with a mansion with an ocean view and a garage full of Ferraris.

Washington (CNN) - Air Force One is primed to receive an upgrade that will include new refrigerators expected to cost American taxpayers nearly $24 million.

The US Air Force awarded Boeing a $23.6 million contract in December to replace two of the five "cold chiller units" aboard the aircraft used by President Trump.

"The current rear lower lobe cold chiller units being replaced are the original commercial equipment delivered with the aircraft in 1990. The units were based on the technology at the time and designed for short-term food storage," Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek told CNN.

"Although serviced on a regular basis, reliability has decreased with failures increasing, especially in hot/humid environments. The units are unable to effectively support mission requirements for food storage," she said.

Due to the fact that Air Force One is a one-of-a-kind aircraft, many of its components require unique testing by the Federal Aviation Administration and the cost of the testing is included in the price of the component, in this case refrigerators. The $24 million contract will cover the costs of engineering support services for the new chillers -- including prototype design, manufacturing and installation, according to the DOD contract.

"The units and associated aircraft structural modifications are being specially designed to provide nearly 70 cubic feet of temperature-controlled (refrigeration/freezer) storage to support on-board personnel for an extended period of time, without having to restock while abroad," Stefanek told CNN.
"The engineering required to design, manufacture, conduct environmental testing and obtain Federal Aviation Administration certification are included in the cost," she said.

Former senior adviser to President Barack Obama Eric Schultz mocked the high price tag in a tweet on Friday, saying, "we would have been impeached."

The Boeing fridge contract isn't the first time an administration has come under fire for the high cost of military aircraft upgrades -- the Obama administration was pressured to scuttle plans to build a new fleet of presidential helicopters in 2009 after reports emerged that they cost at least $11 billion.

When he was running for president, Trump boasted he would swap out Air Force One with his private jet and has been fiercely critical of the cost of the new Air Force One program in the past, stating "costs are out of control" and "cancel order!" in a December 2016 tweet.

But since taking office, Trump -- like his predecessors -- has traveled aboard the Boeing-made VC-25 aircraft, the latest version of which entered service in 1990.
The Air Force announced last year that it had finalized a deal to purchase two already-built aircraft from Boeing to serve as the next generation of Air Force One, flying future presidents around the world for decades to come. That contract is separate from the arrangement between Boeing and the Air Force for upkeep of the current Air Force One fleet.

CD

I would love to have a contract with the US military. I could quadruple my prices... at least. I could do a crappy job the first time, and charge the military more money for a re-shoot. I could probably retire at 60... and continue to send invoices that would probably get paid.

My current customers are just too stingy. They want value in return for their money. What's that all about?

CD

This is 3rd hand info.

A have a buddy who has a family member that works for a company that supplies the military with hardware. Nuts,bolts, washers and whatever. If I order hardware for our farm shop it would come in 10 lb boxes, 20 pound buckets or 50 pound barrels.

When the military orders hardware they odrer it by the piece. 20,000 nuts, 20,000 bolts, 40,000 washers. And they are required to package them in individual wrappers with a bar code. Then they haveto have so many per box.

So in the name of keeping accurate inventory they run the cost up. The supply company has to have packaging equipment and make sure they have the appropriate count per box.

You and I ordering by the pound would pay a few cents per bolt. The government now pays several dollars for the same.

I was recently pricing dishwashers on the Lowes Canada site and while most of them were between $700 and $3,000, an LG model caught my eye not as a contender but because the price tag said $11,950! I knew this was a mistake but was hoping it was still there so I could share it here.

They finally fixed it and the price is now $1,195. Still out of what I want to pay, but a little more reasonable.

I was thinking it would have paired nicely with those fridges. :ROFLMAO:

Prices have gone up significantly, just in the last 5 years. But the 24 million, I just don't understand.

Prices have gone up significantly, just in the last 5 years. But the 24 million, I just don't understand.

If the price was $24,000, I'd say that sounds reasonable for an aircraft, especially Air Force One. It the price was $240,000, I'd say, "whoa," that's pretty high, to me.

But $24,000,000... are they smokin' crack at the Pentagon? I just can not wrap my head around that number.

CD

If the price was $24,000, I'd say that sounds reasonable for an aircraft, especially Air Force One. It the price was $240,000, I'd say, "whoa," that's pretty high, to me.

But $24,000,000... are they smokin' crack at the Pentagon? I just can not wrap my head around that number.

CD
With taxpayer funding, why would the government quibble over prices?
Merica... :ermm:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom