Iced Coffee or something like it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firsthyme

Assistant Cook
Here we go, looking for tailgate help again.

The local coffee shops have these iced coffe drinks that are sweet and creamy (My Bride is a big fan). They have names like "Mochachino", "Coolatta", "Javachino"

I'd like to make a jug or so and bring it to a tailgate this friday.

Any recipes? Any ideas?
C'mon Back.

8) :LOL: 8)
RAK

There's a few routes you can take, some being easier than others. You can either go for an iced coffee or an iced cappuccino/latte. For an iced cappucino, technically you'll need to start with a few expressos from an expresso maker. For an iced coffee you'll want to brew a very strong pot of coffee. To either, you'll add a very healthy dose of sugar and then chill. Day of, combine your coffee 'syrup' with a good amount or milk/cream.

That's the hard way.

It'll be a substantial drop in coffee quality, but instant coffee makes a pretty good facsimile of a coolata. Here's my current recipe for an instant coffee syrup.

1 C. water
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. instant coffee

Heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool briefly, whisk in coffee. Chill.

When combined with milk/cream, this makes a fairly sweet iced coffee - almost like a drinkable coffee ice cream. That's how most of the iced coffee drinks are these days.

In order to match the richness of the commercial products, you'll definitely want cream. This is all very much to taste, but I would first try a test batch with:

2 T. of syrup
8 oz. (1 cup) of whole milk
2 T. heavy cream

And then adjust from there. You can't add sugar to cold milk, but extra instant coffee (if necessary) should dissolve if you put it in a bottle and give it a good shake.

Coooooolatta

scott123 said:
There's a few routes you can take, some being easier than others. You can either go for an iced coffee or an iced cappuccino/latte. For an iced cappucino, technically you'll need to start with a few expressos from an expresso maker. For an iced coffee you'll want to brew a very strong pot of coffee. To either, you'll add a very healthy dose of sugar and then chill. Day of, combine your coffee 'syrup' with a good amount or milk/cream.

That's the hard way.

It'll be a substantial drop in coffee quality, but instant coffee makes a pretty good facsimile of a coolata. Here's my current recipe for an instant coffee syrup.

1 C. water
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. instant coffee

Heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool briefly, whisk in coffee. Chill.

When combined with milk/cream, this makes a fairly sweet iced coffee - almost like a drinkable coffee ice cream. That's how most of the iced coffee drinks are these days.

In order to match the richness of the commercial products, you'll definitely want cream. This is all very much to taste, but I would first try a test batch with:

2 T. of syrup
8 oz. (1 cup) of whole milk
2 T. heavy cream

And then adjust from there. You can't add sugar to cold milk, but extra instant coffee (if necessary) should dissolve if you put it in a bottle and give it a good shake.

Make a coffee syrup! It makes all the sense in the world.
Thanks Scott!

RAK

The one I like is like a coffee slushie. I make a similar coffee syrup. I toss a bunch of ice in the blender, add a substantial dollop of the syrup and a big glug of milk and buzz it up. You can add chocolate syrup or anything else that inspires you to this mixture. Good luck.

Firsttyme here is how I make my version of these frapaccino sort of drinks.

1 large glass of regular milk
1 large glass of half and half
2 tsp of instant coffee
sugar to taste

Bring milk to a rolling boil. Add coffee and sugar and let it cool. Once cool place it in a refrigerator to chill (can be made in advance)

Whip some cream with powdered sugar right before you are serving this iced coffee.

Remove the coffee base from the refrigerator and use a hand blender to make it nice and frothy. Pour in tall glass and top with some whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cocoa powder and serve.

It tastes much much better than what you get in stores.

:LOL:
Thanks Yakuta, for your version. It sounds like a top shelf blend. I particularly like the idea of the use of the hand blender to bring up the froth!

Rak

I worked in a Vietnamese restaurant that had killer iced coffee...

We would place a teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, which would counteract the dilution of the melted ice. Then add regular coffee and stir, to disolve the instant. Here's the kicker...add about a teaspoon full of sweetened condensed milk, but be sure to stir it in well since it takes a little bit of stirring to disolve it. Pour this over ice, and enjoy!

BigBlueMouse said:
I worked in a Vietnamese restaurant that had killer iced coffee...

We would place a teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, which would counteract the dilution of the melted ice. Then add regular coffee and stir, to disolve the instant. Here's the kicker...add about a teaspoon full of sweetened condensed milk, but be sure to stir it in well since it takes a little bit of stirring to disolve it. Pour this over ice, and enjoy!

Nice technique BBM!

Rak

Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . .

Sorry to raise an old thread, but iced coffee is a favorite of mine. I do like the "exotic" coolers and Frappiccinos (sp?), but sometimes just good old iced coffe is good.

Here's how I used to make it when I worked in a food service kitchen.

Fill a plasitc pitcher with ice (the kind used to fill water glasses in a restaurant). Add a pint of milk, and approximately 3/4 cup of sugar (more or less depending on your sweet tooth). Head to the industrial coofee maker and let her rip!Mix with a large utensil, and enjoy! About half the ice will melt from the heat of the coffee, but the remaining half will keep the coffee cold! :chef:

I'm with Big Dog. Love the regular iced coffee. My best friend's mom used to make it for us - especially in the summer - when we were going up in CT. I'll take it over a fancy coffee anyday. (Except maybe Vietnamese Iced Coffee!)

sugar in coffee?

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like sugar in her coffee...iced or hot! I guess I really have moved into the gourmet world:) . I usually just pour 1 part coffee to 2 parts milk (usually a blend of half and half and milk) then added ice. I see I may have been missing out!

I posted this somewhere else in here, but I think it might be more along the lines of this thread.
If an espresso maker you are good. Other wise I would think the new senso single cup makers would work fine too.

If you want a good cold drink, try this.
fill the glass you plan on using half full of ice,
add 1/2 and 1/2 to cover the ice.
add any flavor you want.
Add 2 shots of espresso last.
all of this goes in your blender, blend on high until it the ice is gone.
It is just like the frappicino's at starbucks. And you don't need the mix.

Recipe America Iced Coffee

To make Iced coffee, select a Dark coffee roast. Use twice as much coffee as is required to brew a regular cup of coffee. If on the coffee can it says one tablespoon per cup, use two tablespoons per cup. If you want sweetened Iced coffee, add sugar while the coffee is hot. After the brewing process is complete, add enough Ice to double the volume. It will cool off the coffee. Store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. Add cream when serving if desired.

javadog said:
Recipe America Iced Coffee

To make Iced coffee, select a Dark coffee roast. Use twice as much coffee as is required to brew a regular cup of coffee. If on the coffee can it says one tablespoon per cup, use two tablespoons per cup. If you want sweetened Iced coffee, add sugar while the coffee is hot. After the brewing process is complete, add enough Ice to double the volume. It will cool off the coffee. Store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled. Add cream when serving if desired.

Wow! Double the quantity? That's a strong coffee!

I see the theory in doubleing (sp?) the quantity as you are doubling the volume with ice, but recall ice is an expanded form of water, so it's not truly double what the original volume is. Not knowing the precise measurements, I pitch the following estimates: If you brew 12 cups of coffee, and add enough ice to increase the volume to 24 cups, when the ice melts, you wind up with maybe 18 cups or so (again, estimates and approximations on my part). Yet you brewed enough grounds for 24 cups of coffee.

I agree with the thought of increased quantity of grounds upon brewing, but I disagree with doubling. Frankly I'm one to say it depends on tatse. Some may think doubling isn't strong enough, I don't know. I found it an art to try to find what balance I liked for iced coffee. I can't really tell what it is as it varies on the roast or the method of brewing. When I was at camp, the coffee maker dispensed fairly strong coffee, so pouring the coffee into the pitcher of ice, cream, and sugar made it perfect. I still haven't found my preference for iced coffee via standard home coffee maker, but I don't often make iced coffee.

I also think that the freshness of the iced coffe is paramount to a good cup. This is part of the reason why I don't make it often. I don't drink a "whole pot" of iced coffee, and I don't think refridgerated iced coffee it very good.

I've been drinking iced coffee for over....

...fifty years, everyday. I like a dark roast coffee, or sometimes grind my own beans. If you were to drink my brew hot, you'd choke. I make it very rich, add sweetener, milk, and pour it over a tumbler of ice. In the summertime, I sometimes add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Over a half century ago, I was doctoring it with vanilla, brewing it with cinnamon, peppermint. Little did I know I was doing what the fancy houses do today. Cold coffee sux, but iced coffee rules.

BigDog said:
Wow! Double the quantity? That's a strong coffee!
If you brew 12 cups of coffee, and add enough ice to increase the volume to 24 cups, when the ice melts, you wind up with maybe 18 cups or so (again, estimates and approximations on my part). Yet you brewed enough grounds for 24 cups of coffee.

What your saying is that frozen ice doubles. I'm not sure what kind of water your using. I would think that at the very most you would lose 1 cup so double strength coffee makes perfect sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom