Ideal Christmas Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
I know ya'll are just getting over Thanksgiving dinner, and probably don't want to think about Christmas. But, if there was just 2 of you for Christmas dinner, what would be your fantasy meal? I'll only have one day to shop, but I will have acces to a pro kitchen. :) Looking forward to some great ideas.

We do a tenderloin roast for christmas. They are not too big and are tasty and tender.

Serve with baked potatoes with all the fixins and grilled asparagus.

One I don't have to cook!!! (Joking... I love cooking so much!) There were only two of us for Thanksgiving and I really enjoy Cornish game hens. (Perfect portion size for two people, and it looks like you made a mini turkey!) So I say roasted game hens, baked butternut squash, and a crisp salad.

Andy M... I'm comin to your house for Christmas!

I know ya'll are just getting over Thanksgiving dinner, and probably don't want to think about Christmas. But, if there was just 2 of you for Christmas dinner, what would be your fantasy meal? I'll only have one day to shop, but I will have acces to a pro kitchen. :) Looking forward to some great ideas.

Hi. I'm thinking seafood. Start with mussels steamed in white wine, garlic and parsley, sprinkled with chopped tomato when done, and served with toasted baguette slices. Follow that with lobster ravioli (don't have a recipe but had it once in Boston and just loved it - anyone have a recipe?) and roasted asparagus. I'd probably buy dessert - for DH's birthday last week, at a very nice grocery store, I got two mini chocolate bundt cakes with liquid chocolate filling - yummy.

We will also be doing beef tenderloin for the 2 of us. I plan on double baked potatoes, some roasted veggies( whatever looks good at the store), homemade dinner rolls with butter and of course a nice mixed salad. For dessert, probably Christmas cookies or nut and poppy seed cake.

Well there are two of us and we often make a standing rib roast - except this year can get an actual prime rib.

And Yorkshire pud. A standing rib roast without the pudding is like hot dogs without kimchee.

My ideal would be to start with a lobster bisque.

Spuds probably baked.

Some kind of veggies, maybe julienned candied carrots. And then some other veg type thing.

That is what we often do. This year, maybe tapas. Still working on it.

Shrimp cocktails, T-bones; medium rare, grilled veggies, baked potatoes, tossed salad and a chocolate mousse for dessert with decaf coffee and "It's a Wonderful Life" afterwards on DVD.

Don't know about it being a fantasy meal, but I will be cooking for two this Christmas and the menu will probably look something like:

Cranberry-honey-mustard glazed ham
warm mixed vegetable salad in aioli
steamed asparagus with mustard vinaigrette
smoked salmon
garden salad
and something with an exoskeleton, not sure what yet
plus a range of condiments and extras like pickled onions and gherkins
warm rolls or normal bread (depends on the weather)
cheese selection

mince pies for dessert

New Years Eve will either be a seafood tempura fondue with sides and condiments
or bugs tails poached in champagne served with a champagne cream sauce
or crayfish with some sort of dressing/sauce
rice and veges or bread and salad
no dessert

Either Morton Bay Bugs or Balmain Bugs. Bit like a small lobster in a sense but not to look at, but you can use the same recipes. Cut off the head usually and just serve the tails. The tails are about four inches long give or take, about two inches wide and are quite sweet. Much more reliable than crayfish (Aust rock lobster) but much uglier!!

Moreton Bay Bug photos and information

:)This is absolutely delicious I would grill some asparagus with the lobster,a simple salad dressed with a regular vinaigrette since the lobster dressing is soo rich.A nice crusty bread.Dessert something not to heavy maybe with fresh fruit or mousse.
Tips you only need 1/2 or less of the chili vinagrette it makes way to much and add up to double chili sauce/garlic sauce.Ive made this many times.Make a couple extra lobster tails and have cold with sauce the next day.Still incredibley good.A special meal indeed

Grilled Lobster with Creamy Chili Vinaigrette Recipe at Epicurious.com

Rack of lamb, baked potato, steamed asparagus with Hollandaise.

Molten Chocolate Cake for dessert.

(this is not what I'm HAVING, but it's what my fantasy meal for two would be)

Lee

My ideal Christmas Dinner:

A cucumber salad like this Lebanese Salad , and a bowl of Baba Ganoush with lots of flavorful EVOO, with lightly toasted whole wheat Pita (just toasted enough to warm it and give it a little color - not enough to make it hard like a cracker or chip).

Roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, and a gravy made from making a roux from all of the pan drippings (including all the fat) and milk (goat's milk if I could find it) and/or chicken stock.

For sides - a saffron rice, galric and onion pilaf (or long grain and wild rice with miniature onions, garlic, a mixture of dry wild mushrooms and chestnuts and herbs), mashed boiled turnips or parsnips, and Brussels sprouts - split in half and par-steamed - then sauted in EVOO and smokey bacon drippings.

Baklava for dessert ...

Or - something like along those lines ...

I'll probably have a smoked ham, baked sweet potatoes, mashed turnips, baked summer squash cassarole, and cornbread ....

Last edited:
Just for 2..?

I'd start with homemade ravioli, stuffed with chestnuts, and served in a browned butter sauce, topped with crushed ameretti cookies.

Then, I'd make pan seared scallops served with pignoli nuts on a bed of wilted spinach greens.

Then, individual beef wellingtons with mushroom paté instead of the liver paté with sauted carrots with baby peas, oven roasted fingerling potatoes and accompanied with a sherry sauce for the beef ......served with a steamed cranberry pudding instead of traditional dinner bread.

Strufoli for dessert.

I'd spend hours in the wine store, pairing just the right wines, too.

How'd you snag a professional kitchen.....and who are you cooking for?

My ideal Christmas Dinner:

A cucumber salad like this Lebanese Salad , and a bowl of Baba Ganoush with lots of flavorful EVOO, with lightly toasted whole wheat Pita (just toasted enough to warm it and give it a little color - not enough to make it hard like a cracker or chip).

Roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, and a gravy made from making a roux from all of the pan drippings (including all the fat) and milk (goat's milk if I could find it) and/or chicken stock.

For sides - a saffron rice, galric and onion pilaf (or long grain and wild rice with miniature onions, garlic, a mixture of dry wild mushrooms and chestnuts and herbs), mashed boiled turnips or parsnips, and Brussels sprouts - split in half and par-steamed - then sauted in EVOO and smokey bacon drippings.

Baklava for dessert ...

quote]

Hey, Michael, can you make that for THREE??? :)

Holy moley, that fantasy sounds great!

Lee

Since I will be hosting Christmas Eve. I think Christmas day will be simple. Maybe some ravioli, noodles and tomato sauce with pork. It will most likely just be three of us. And hopefully some leftovers from the night before!

Last edited:
Shrimp Remoulade
Roast Duck & Andouille Gumbo

Smoked Turkey Breast
Cornbread Dressing
Asparagus/Prosciutto
Frozen Cranberry Salad

Warm Peach Cobbler/Vanilla Icecream
Coffee & Chicory​

Tuna tartare with black caviar and Champagne to start, small leg of lamb with my rosemary/dijon pesto :chef: (PM me if you need the recipe) along with a red wine and radicchio risotto, collard greens cooked down in a bit of beef broth, Châteauneuf-du-Pape to drink. For dessert something chocolate with Banfi Rosa Regale to drink.

This year we're on our own for Christmas dinner and I think I just planned our menu! :cool:

If it was just the 2 of us (which at this point seems like it wil NEVER happen)
I would still have to stick with our usual!

Roast Beef
Yorkshire pudding
Mashed Potatoes
GRAVY GRAVY GRAVY
Veggies could be changed I guess.
This year I think roasted asparagus if it looks ok at the store.
If not, Green Beans Amandine.

Thank you, everyone, for the great ideas! We cook alot of lamb and duck when I'm there, so I think the tenderloin idea is great! I'll be cooking for my fiancee, he's the EC at a country Inn, located right across the street from where he lives. Hence, if I need toys to play with, they're there. :)

The tapas idea also sounds great, Aunt Dot, we've been contemplating that for the wedding reception, so it could be a good time to practice.

UB, and MTW, the smoked ham, gumbo, cornbread all sound great, that would probably be his ideal meal. :LOL:

I'm trying to think of something he doesn't see every day on his menu, so shrimp is out. If I could get my hands on Morton Bay Bugs, I'd be making them for sure, but the chances of that are slim and nill! He's got butter poached lobster on his NY Eve menu, so will stay away from that also.

OTOH, KE, a small leg of lamb would fit the ticket. And, I have 2 bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape waiting for me there. As well as some white Burgundies, and a Sauternes. :) Then there's VB's individual Beef Wellington's. I think I'll print out the whole thread and peruse more. Thanks everyone!!!

Did anyone mention a cheese course? He loves cheese!!:)

Back
Top Bottom