Ideas for recipes with green beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badjak

Sous Chef
So, my yard long beans are starting to produce properly now.
I need some recipe ideas.
I don't like cheese, but I do like spicy food.
Note that I have no oven.

So far my go to recipes are
Pat prik king (Thai)
Sambal goreng buncis (Indonesian)
Stir fries
Plain (as a side)
Blanching & freezing for future meals

Any good ideas anyone?

bavarian_beans_P1060375.JPG

A favorite recipe of mine for those long beans is Szechwan dry fried beans. Unlike those dry fried beans you find in restaurants, which are deep fried, then briefly stir fried in seasonings (good, but not the same), these are truly dried out, with a chewy texture, and a unique seasoning coating them.

The recipe is easily doubled, and I cook that in a 12" sauté pan. Freezes well, too.

Szechwan Dry Fried Beans

1½ lbs long beans or green beans
1/2" piece ginger
1/2 c dried shrimp, soaked in hot water at least 2 hours
1/2 c minced Szechwan preserved vegetable, about the size of an apricot, before mincing
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
3 tb+ 3 tb oil

Wash and trim the beans, and cut to 2" pieces. Easiest to mince the seasonings in a food processor - add the whole pieces of ginger and SPV and pulse to mince some. Drain the shrimp, and press the water out, and add to FP. Mince, with the vegetables, about 30 sec. Set aside.

In a 10" sauté pan, or 12" skillet, with a 10" base, heat the first 3 tb oil over high heat; add beans, and stir fry 2 min. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 7 minutes longer, stirring frequently. Remove to a plate and wipe out pan.

Heat the remaining 3 tb oil over high heat; add the minced mixture and SF 1 minute. Add sesame oil and sugar and SF another minute. Add beans, reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to lowest, and cook 1½-2 hrs longer, stirring occasionally. Reheats well, and freezes well.

Needs no salt added, with all that shrimp, and SPV!

Here's two old photos I have of this:
First cooking of beans for Szechwan dry fried beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dry fried beans, spread out to show the texture. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

In the summer I love fresh green beans but most of the year I use our canned green beans. One of my favorites is a green bean salad with chopped onions, vinegar, salt and pepper. Eating it cold is one of my favorite pleasures.
It's like a 3 bean salad: https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/three-bean-salad/
  • 1 15 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups fresh green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup red onion very thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Italian String Beans

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Ea Onion, minced
2 Cl Garlic, minced
14 Oz Canned Tomato
½ Tb Oregano, dry
1 Tb Basil, dry
TT S&P
1 Lb String Beans

Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan and sweat the onion and garlic.

Add the tomato and the seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the string beans and simmer for 10 minutes or until the beans are cooked to the desired level of doneness.

I make green beans as part of Sheet Pan meals. They take about 20-30 minutes at 400F. Toss with a teaspoon or so of Olive Oil, salt & pepper and then spread on a sheet pan to cook.
I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll add some the next time I roast veggies.

Green beans with bacon and onion is on our family Xmas menu tomorrow

parcook green beans

cook a bunch of bacon, remove and crumble

cook finely chopped or sliced onion in bacon fat

add green beans, salt and pepper to taste and sautée until done

combine with crumbed bacon

Thanks for the ideas so far.
I will definitely try out some and report back.
It's a real versatile vegetable, but sometimes you just need extra inspiration :)

Not the sheetpan ideas though as I got no oven.

Well, I got one, but the gas flame came out at places where it shouldn't be, but that's a whole other story :(

I like sliced or slivered almonds mixed into buttered green beans. Also bacon, like jenny suggested. Or maybe sautéed mushrooms.

The oven story might be a good read. Details later, please?

string_bean_salad_080812_P1090523.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom