If You Could Tell Food Network...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arky

Senior Cook
If you could tell TV Food Network ONE thing, what would it be?

I would say, "I watch Iron Chef America, and do I care that chef XYZ beat Mario Batali in using the secret ingredient of artichokes? Do I think less of Mario for losing? No. Of course not, and I want them to tell that to the Iron Chefs! I just enjoy watching the competition between them."

Just one thing??? Tough to choose but...

Don't dumb-down cuisine. Please have more programming surrounding cooking in professional settings with great ingredients, well trained and creative chefs with high expectations. I don't want to watch home-style cooking; I can see that live at my own house or my mom's kitchen.

I'd like to see programs that show food that is delicious, fresh, seasonal and easy to prepare and scale for 2 to 8 people. I'd like to see demonstrations (replicable in the home) of food designed to wow your guests. I'd like to see foods prepared that, with a little forethought, could be done and put on the table on a weeknight and be nutritious and appealing. I don't need to see how to make foods with prepackaged ingredients--that is pretty self-explanatory! So, give me all of that, FN--not necessarily in the same show <g>--and I'll start watching again.

Bring back the "golden oldies" (Julia Child, Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr, etc.) - those programs you purchased & showed when you didn't have squat to show. Those programs are what MADE you. What drew people (like me) in while you were in your programming infancy. And now you've thrown them away like old shoes. Show some respect & responsibility - bring them back. You obviously have absolutely no idea how many viewers you lost when you dropped those shows for your current lineup of sad sacks.

Stop dumbing down cooking, using 'characters' who act silly and don't teach anything to anyone with a brain on how to cook. I would watch you again if you could offer any shows that come even a teeny bit close to the shows on PBS, BBC America or the Travel Channel.

bring back the "golden oldies" (julia child, two fat ladies, graham kerr, etc.) - those programs you purchased & showed when you didn't have squat to show. Those programs are what made you. What drew people (like me) in while you were in your programming infancy. And now you've thrown them away like old shoes. Show some respect & responsibility - bring them back. You obviously have absolutely no idea how many viewers you lost when you dropped those shows for your current lineup of sad sacks.

+1

Focus more on the food and less on the personalities.

One of my favorite cooking shows was a show (I forgot the name or which channel it was on) where they showed 3 restaurants each half hour episode. The chefs never spoke. There was a narrator who you never saw who explained what the chef was doing. There was not fancy sets or settings. They all took place in restaurant kitchens which all basically looked the same. There was a lot of silence during the episodes too as the chef was cooking and nothing needed to be said. It was such a relaxing enjoyable show.

One of my favorite cooking shows was a show (I forgot the name or which channel it was on) where they showed 3 restaurants each half hour episode. The chefs never spoke. There was a narrator who you never saw who explained what the chef was doing....

The Great Chefs of (New York, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. wherever they happened to feature for that show.)

I have the book series with those recipes. That was a very good show!

GB, I enjoyed that show as well. It was all about the food. The chef was sometimes awkward or didn't even speak English but the food looked great.

What we really want is a Foodies Network.

Shows that cover food topics in depth, different cuisines authentically, that teach techniques, and address gourmet and home cooking, fast and slow food, vegetarian and raw foods.

Basically, everything exactly the way I want it to be.

I like a good mix of shows, but having said that, shows that illustrate cultural and ethnic diversity, regional specialties and diversity, good technique, etc. A variety of skill levels is fine. Often very simple can be very satisfying. etc. But yak yak yak in my ear for no reason...no thanks.

I would tell them I would want to watch really talented chefs, get into their heads. Food Network is into "personalities". They are about entertainment. Only a couple of them are really intriguing in terms of cooking.

Overall, I think PBS has better cooking programs.

One of my favorite cooking shows was a show (I forgot the name or which channel it was on) where they showed 3 restaurants each half hour episode. The chefs never spoke. There was a narrator who you never saw who explained what the chef was doing. There was not fancy sets or settings. They all took place in restaurant kitchens which all basically looked the same. There was a lot of silence during the episodes too as the chef was cooking and nothing needed to be said. It was such a relaxing enjoyable show.

Great Chefs was the series. Excellent stuff.

use ingredients that are available to most people. price is a factor. i would like to see a show about cooking for one or two. we are not all large families.

More importantly, use ingredients that are available to most people (even if it takes a little hunting) in a creative fashion!

Show me something different and interesting to do with the same old same old.

Totally agree about focusing more on the food and less on the personalities.

I also would like to see more innovation. I am tired of the same dishes rehashed over and over! Show some creativity... do something REALLY different... but still make it do-able. (example: vegan sushi rolls, noodle-less "lasagna" that uses sliced zuchinni in place of noodles, watermelon and feta salad, etc.)

Also, it'd be nice to have a program for when they speak about "proteins" they talk about vegetarian options as well! Protein doesn't always have to come from beef, pork, chicken, etc. What about beans, legumes, and dairy?

~GB

The Great Chefs of (New York, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. wherever they happened to feature for that show.)

I have the book series with those recipes. That was a very good show!

I rememebr that one!!! I loved it, too! I specifically rememebr one where the chef made a saddle of rabbit or lamb, and how he dressed the meat, and everything. Way cool.....

Back
Top Bottom