I'm a starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good morning from North Wales, knives are a very personal thing, I always want to feel them in my hand before I buy and check out the quality. I have bought kitchen tools online but only on recs from friends or as replacements for the original, so for me no.:)

thanks for the info

i guess what your saying is right. its if you can handle the knife with a proper grip other than how much it costs. Again thanks for the info it was very helpful

Last edited:
I recommend going to a couple local stores (JC Penney, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Sur la Table, etc.), and checking what they have. If you have bargain stores that buyout inventories and sell them cheap (around here we have Ollies and Amelias), check them as well. Maybe look for a restaurant supply store, as well.

The only knife I feel is worth spending money on is a chef's knife (I got a Victorinox, which is awesome). As far as paring knives, steak knives, etc, just buy cheap ones as needed. I got my chef knife at a restaurant supply store for $26, and it would have cost more at BB&B or elsewhere.

Regarding bargain stores, I got a very nice Cuisinart paring knife and utility knife for $6 total. They also often carry pans. The only downside to the bargain stores is their inventory changes, so they might not have what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Are you going to culinary school, or are you just beginning to cook? I don't know much about school, but I would assume they would recommend a kit.

If you are just beginning to cook, I would start cheap, and I would start with an 8-10 inch chef's knife and a couple of paring knives. You can always build as you see the need.

Purchasing a set, either of knives or of pots and pans may be wasteful--some of them will undoubtedly be too big or too small or just not suited to what you are doing.

Good luck, and hang around here--there are lots of cooks happy to share practical knowledge!

Good advice from Sparrograss. You do not need a set of knives. Two or three will get you started.

I once took a knife sharpening class, and it was recommended that I go to a thrift store and garage sales to buy cheap knives to practice on. At that time it was easy to find surprisingly nice knives for very little money.

It may be worth looking for used knives. The important thing is to keep them sharp.

Back
Top Bottom