I'm flabbergasted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raindance

Assistant Cook
I was born in 1944, and in the 50's through the 70's, all stewed tomatoes that I ever heard of were on the sweet side and had bread in them, and scalloped corn was fairly firm, both dishes tasted great. I no longer have my 60's recipe for scalloped corn and wanted some exact measurements for making stewed tomatoes, so I did some online searches and was amazed to find that these days lots of people are shocked to think that someone might actually put bread in stewed tomatoes, and all of the scalloped corn recipes I found had milk and/or 3 eggs. I tried a few of them, some were runny and the others were like custard, nothing like the scalloped corn of the past.

A few online recipes said for scalloped tomatoes to throw some butter, a little sugar and some bread into a can of stewed tomatoes. To me, the purpose of a recipe is to have measurements so you can duplicate it. Do I put in a teaspoon of sugar or a cup, a slice of bread or a loaf? The only thing to do is experiment and come up with my own recipes. After all the runny corn I have been feeding my husband the past 2 weeks, he won't be happy to hear this.

Welcome to DC. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has the recipe you're looking for. Lots of good cooks here. There are a couple of scalloped corn recipes. Just use the search function.

:flowers:Welcome to DC Raindance . I love stewed Tomatoes with bread in them.Usually two slices of white bread. I love 12 grain bread but not in my stewed tomatoes. DH likes a lot of celery and onions in his so I make them his way most of the time. I don't have a recipe for scalloped corn like you are looking for. But I would try a tablespoon of corn starch and see if that helps. Hope you enjoy DC.

Josie

Welcome to DC, Raindance! I hope you can find the help you are looking for.

Scalloped corn, I would start by sauteeing a drained 15 ounce can of corn, onion, salt and pepper (if I was feeling adventurous some green and red pepper, too) in butter (about 2 tablespoons). Once the onion was translucent I would stir in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook another few minutes, just before the flour starts to brown, stirring well. Add in one cup of 1/2 & 1/2, heat until thickened, add more if you would like it thinner. To make it truley scalloped, top with browned, seasoned bread crumbs or french fried onions..

I went through an old cookbook from the 1930's, The New Delineator Cookbook. I was sure that it would have both of the recipes that you wanted but to my surprise it did not contain either. There is a recipe for a corn souffle that I suspect may be similar to what you want. If you would like me to post the recipe just let me know.

I think what you call stewed tomatoes is what we call tomato pudding. It has bread and a small amount of sugar in it. I have never found a written recipe here at the house, but when I was younger it was a frequent dish on the table. Sadly, neither my kids or Mrs Hoot has any interest in tomato pudding.

I use a can of chopped tomatoes, salt free ones now that they are available.
1 -2 T sugar
salt and pepper to taste
Start with 1/4 cup chopped onions and green peppers, add more if you like.
Simmer till onion and peppers are cooked, adding additional water as needed.
Mix 1 1/2 T cornstarch with 3 T cold water, stir in, simmer until thick and clear.

I don't know about Scalloped Corn, I have never had it.

I think what you call stewed tomatoes is what we call tomato pudding. It has bread and a small amount of sugar in it. I have never found a written recipe here at the house, but when I was younger it was a frequent dish on the table. Sadly, neither my kids or Mrs Hoot has any interest in tomato pudding.

Doing a google search I think Hoot is right. I think what you are looking for is generally called tomato pudding. Most of the recipes for stewed tomatoes seems more like recipes for cooking tomatoes into something similar to a sauce but thicker. My mom used to love stewed tomatoes. She would often make the tomato part and then just butter a slice of bread and pour the tomatoes over it and eat it that way. Here is a recipe that you might want to try to see if it matches your memory.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1940,151178-230200,00.html

My ex MIL used to called stewed tomatoes "poor-do" because it was a dish poor people ate a lot. A few tomato plants provided a lot of produce, and they canned what they didn't eat using the open kettle method, which is not approved today.

Raindance, I grew up eating stewed tomatoes with white bread or toast cubes in it. Out version was not thickened like a pudding as others have suggested, but the toms were "stewed" down a bit of sugar was added and then the bread cubes just prior to serving. I suspect that different regions has different versions. The same goes for scalloped corn, the dish I remember my grandmother making for holidays was fairly sturdy but quite creamy.
I'm going to try to find the recipe. It's funny how these old standby dishes just sort of go away. I have a hankering now :) thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Not in our family, it wasn't. Mom used to make stewed tomatoes out of the end of the bushel she always put up every summer. She'd prep the tomatoes as she did for canning, but would cook them a bit longer, and then put the bread in for the last few minutes.

We loved it when we were little. Not as much as adults, but by then she wasn't putting up tomatoes any more.

My ex MIL used to called stewed tomatoes "poor-do" because it was a dish poor people ate a lot. A few tomato plants provided a lot of produce, and they canned what they didn't eat using the open kettle method, which is not approved today.

Now it seems like when there are lots of tomato plants, we end up making salsa! My mom used to make stewed toms that way, but since I wasn't a fan, I don't have the recipe. :neutral:

Growing up in the 40's and 50's, my Mother made stewed tomatoes from a pint or quart jar of canned tomatoes, heat until hot and bubbly, add toasted and buttered bread cut into small pieces and add a little butter to the tomatoes for flavor. S&P according to taste.

Last edited:
Growing up in the 40's and 50's, my Mother made stewed tomatoes from a pint or quart jar of canned tomatoes, heat until hot and bubbly, add toasted and buttered bread cut into small pieces and add a little butter to the tomatoes for flavor. S&P according to taste.

:flowers:Welcome to DC.

Josie

joesfolk, thanks for the offer to post the corn souffle recipe. I'd like to take you up on the offer.

Yesterday I tried making scalloped corn from memory, but it tasted like crackers and cream style corn, yuck. It has been 50 years since I made it using my lost recipe, but now that I think about it, I believe I sauted green pepper and onion in butter, then added some ingredients and cooked it before baking, so I'm still no closer than I was in the beginning. I did learn that I no longer care much for canned corn, but like fresh or frozen. I found a scalloped corn recipe online that uses frozen corn and a little evaporated milk. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe here. If not, I'll have to keep looking.

Somebunny, your description of stewed tomatoes sounds a lot like what I remember, but I believe my grandmother use to saute green pepper and onion in butter. I think the butter gave it a good flavor. I want to give it a try, if it turns out well, I'll post the recipe here.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers stewed tomatoes with bread.

Corn Souffle

1 Tbl butter or savory fat
1 Tbl flour
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
pepper
1 pimento
2 c. corn pulp (fresh or canned)
2 eggs

Make a white sauce, using the fat, flour, milk, and seasoning. Rub the pimento through a sieve and add it to the sauce. Add the corn to the mixture. Cool slightly, then add the well-beaten egg-yolks and fold in the stiffly beaten egg-whites. Turn into a greased baking dish, set the dish in a pan of hot water, and bake in a moderate oven until the egg is set. about thirty minutes.

I have never made this recipe myself so I can't even explain it. I, myself wonder what one pimento is. Is it one red pepper? ( Maybe it is one roasted rd pepper.) Who knows. But this is the recipe as I have it. I hope it helps.

Thank you for posting the recipe, I will try it. I don't know what 1 pimento is either but one year I planted pimentos and they were exactly like green peppers, but then again I didn't give them time to get red, we used them as green peppers, while still green. I will use pimentos in a jar, sounds good to me.

I've been watching this post for the scalloped corn recipe. I'd really like to make it when you come up with the recipe.

Me too, but I've tried so many corn recipes, I have to wait a few days. Tomorrow I want to attempt the stewed tomatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom