I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Anne, and welcome!

I am a "sporadically retired" caterer and cake decorator, which means if someone can twist my arm just right I will cater and or decorate! :LOL:

I am going a similar route to you, except instead of an Ipad and MacGourmet I have a net book and MasterCook. This way I can get a recipe from my files, or google or search within DC and have the computer close by so I don't need paper, can make changes, adjust servings, etc. without damaging a tree! When I had my MasterCook on my PC, I would go and print the recipe and then stick all the printed recipes on top of my desk. Next time I needed the same recipe I would print it again rather than going through that huge pile of paper. I love this new method.

Sorry I don't know anything about MacGourmet, but there are lots of people here and I am sure someone can help you!

I keep all of my recipes on my computer... BUT I print one off each time I use it for the first time. When I'm through, the printed recipe, with hand-written notes, goes into a plastic sheet protector and then into a recipe notebook.

The computer helps me stay organized, provides a quick reference as to what I have or don't have, and is a means of backing-up all of my recipes, new and old.

It doesn't have to be a "this OR that" but a "this AND that" kind of system. ;)

Another thing nice about hard copies is when it's time to figure out what's for dinner.

With the hard copy, you not only have the title, but the ingredients are listed and you can check to see if you have everything without having to open each file.

The computer is great for backup as you add notes and print out a fresh clean copy after spilling stuff on it because you haven't found any sheet protecters yet.:ROFLMAO:

I used to have Master Cook when I had a PC and I enjoyed it very much. At that time, I just never got around to putting my recipes on it. I probably would have stayed with it but it was not available for the Mac (even though I had Fusion which would allow use of all Windows programs). I instead opted for the new program MacGourmet which was built for the Mac. With this program (and it may well be in the MasterCook as well), you can set it so that it will automatically make a shopping list from all of your several recipes making it easier to see what is in stock and what needs to be purchased. I haven't used that feature yet as I've only had the program a short time.

I can totally see that having a piece of paper recipe and being able to make quick changes and notes. (I have the spotted and torn pieces to prove it! LOL) Another place I hope to clean out is my 3x5 flip file that has plastic covers to keep the cards clean. That plastic has deteriorated over the years so that it is sticky to touch. I really, really want to go as paperless as possible so that my desk can look like ones we see in decorator homes. HA! That will never happen!

Whatever works for the cook is great! The important thing is to enjoy what you do and make delicious food!

Back
Top Bottom