I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annrast

Assistant Cook
Hello, everyone. My name is Ann and I just joined this morning. I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas for functions. I'm retired, have a new home with a gourmet kitchen, but just haven't had the time to take advantage of it. I also just purchased MacGourmet Deluxe for my iMac and the app for my new iPad2 so now I'm all ready to get busy getting organized and hoping to participate in discussions.

A bit more about myself: I am a serious doll collector (vintage Madame Alexander and modern fashion dolls by Robert Tonner). However, in recent months, I've been trying to downsize that collection since I now have other interests. A doll collection is not something one would expect of someone who has two sons and three grandsons (not a girl in sight nor will there be :(). Even my cat is a neutered male!

We're hoping to do a lot more entertaining now that my husband is retired (US Immigration Judge) and has the time to devote to such things. The neighborhood where we live has a lot of activities and the town has lots of opportunities to socialize. Just need to get back in the habit.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I didn't know how much I was supposed to say in the way of an introduction. Looking forward to the fun!
Ann

Hello, everyone. My name is Ann and I just joined this morning. I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas for functions. I'm retired, have a new home with a gourmet kitchen, but just haven't had the time to take advantage of it. I also just purchased MacGourmet Deluxe for my iMac and the app for my new iPad2 so now I'm all ready to get busy getting organized and hoping to participate in discussions.

A bit more about myself: I am a serious doll collector (vintage Madame Alexander and modern fashion dolls by Robert Tonner). However, in recent months, I've been trying to downsize that collection since I now have other interests. A doll collection is not something one would expect of someone who has two sons and three grandsons (not a girl in sight nor will there be :(). Even my cat is a neutered male!

We're hoping to do a lot more entertaining now that my husband is retired (US Immigration Judge) and has the time to devote to such things. The neighborhood where we live has a lot of activities and the town has lots of opportunities to socialize. Just need to get back in the habit.

Sorry to be so wordy, but I didn't know how much I was supposed to say in the way of an introduction. Looking forward to the fun!
Ann
Welcome to DC Ann:)
I'm pleased to have you join us. Look around and see all the recipes and great people let's get to know each orher.
kadesma

Thank you. I'm looking around to see what all is here. Looking for someone who uses MacGourmet so I can ask some really dumb questions.

Welcome to DC, Ann. Glad to meet you! And if the Dolls make you happy...

We are an eclectic bunch, I am a Geriatric Rehab Nurse, living in Montana. My husband is retired, too...but, that's another grumble.

Have fun, look around. I know there is at least one other person here who uses MacGourmet.

Welcome to DC, Ann. Glad to meet you! And if the Dolls make you happy...

We are an eclectic bunch, I am a Geriatric Rehab Nurse, living in Montana. My husband is retired, too...but, that's another grumble.

Have fun, look around. I know there is at least one other person here who uses MacGourmet.

Princess my sister told her hubby when he retired, That she married him for better or worse . But not for lunch..

Josie

images

Hi Ann! Neat to have a new house with gourmet kitchen! We'll be expecting spectacular posts from YOU!! WELCOME!! Will be neat to get to know you!

Josie-- we are retired too.. for a long time. Funny your sister doesn't "do lunch"... I do lunch, but haven't done the wash in 25 year... DH took over some chores when we retired. Said it wasn't fair he was retired and I kept working and he didn't like to cook, do dishes nor vacuum-- but he'd do the wash. He is also 6'6" to my 5'1"...so he cleans bathroom huge mirrors, ceiling fan blades, etc. Always on the ready to get things stored down in high places for me... A treasure to have around. I also like a later breakfast, like 8 to 9ish....therefore he fixes his own at 6:30. YUP! He's a keeper!

Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm trying to get all of my recipes (on scraps of paper, magazine clippings, printouts from online sites, etc) into MacGourmet software. I'm pretty much on my own in learning how to use the software since I can't get to a user forum there. Developer is the only one who can help and he doesn't respond quickly. I also made up my own cookbook almost 20 years ago so that I could keep all my family's favorite recipes close at hand and not lose them. I'll need to go through that and get those recipes included as well. Surely is a lot of work!

Good morning from North Wales, I am a retired Director and aspiring geriatric, I love Boston Legal and I resemble Denny Crane:)

Welcome to DC Ann from South Dakota.
It's a great place to get inspired & learn.

A big "howdeeeee!" from the Ozarks. (Think Hee Haw! :ROFLMAO:) On second thought...

I'm only 58 but I'm a retired newspaper photographer/graphic artist.

Welcome, and I look forward to your ideas.

Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm trying to get all of my recipes (on scraps of paper, magazine clippings, printouts from online sites, etc) into MacGourmet software. I'm pretty much on my own in learning how to use the software since I can't get to a user forum there. Developer is the only one who can help and he doesn't respond quickly. I also made up my own cookbook almost 20 years ago so that I could keep all my family's favorite recipes close at hand and not lose them. I'll need to go through that and get those recipes included as well. Surely is a lot of work!

Welcome to DC, Ann. I can definitely relate to the work involved. Since getting involved with DC I've got so many new recipes to try and new ones created with the input of others here. It's a very inspirational site where someone comes up with a good sounding idea, others add their twists, and suddenly more recipes to try.

I finally made mine into hard copy printouts, so I could take them into the kitchen with me and to make notes of what worked, what didn't and what to try with it next.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

I finally made mine into hard copy printouts, so I could take them into the kitchen with me and to make notes of what worked, what didn't and what to try with it next.

Thanks for the welcome. That's pretty funny that you made hard copies of your recipes. I'm doing just the opposite by putting all of mine on the computer with the app for my new iPad--which I will take into the kitchen. I've had various methods over the years: a card file, a family cookbook I made up over 20 years ago, several file folders of recipes I've never tried. I'm eager to get all of these things together in one place and start working on the the recipes I've never tried.

I have coffee-hour duty at church about every six weeks so I like to take some interesting dishes there. Everyone looks forward to seeing what I'll bring next. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're really good, and sometimes not so good.
Ann

Thanks for the welcome. That's pretty funny that you made hard copies of your recipes. I'm doing just the opposite by putting all of mine on the computer with the app for my new iPad--which I will take into the kitchen. I've had various methods over the years: a card file, a family cookbook I made up over 20 years ago, several file folders of recipes I've never tried. I'm eager to get all of these things together in one place and start working on the the recipes I've never tried.

I have coffee-hour duty at church about every six weeks so I like to take some interesting dishes there. Everyone looks forward to seeing what I'll bring next. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're really good, and sometimes not so good.
Ann

I finally gave up on my card file. 3X5 just isn't big enough. I printed out one of the member's recipes once and it was just so handy to make notes on changes/substitutions, what worked, what didn't, each time I made the recipe, that I tried using it, and i just keep separated by ones I want to try, ones I'm working on, and the tried and trues.

If I had the luxury of a kitchen large enough that I could have a computer in it, maybe I'd keep my recipes there, but I really like having a piece of paper with all the info on it that I can carry around the kitchen when gathering my materials, especially handy are the notes I add, like - make sauce thinner, try using sherry, would be good with fish.. so that the next time I make the recipe, I'll try the recipe another way.

I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.:ohmy:

Last edited:
...I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.:ohmy:

I keep all of my recipes on my computer... BUT I print one off each time I use it for the first time. When I'm through, the printed recipe, with hand-written notes, goes into a plastic sheet protector and then into a recipe notebook.

The computer helps me stay organized, provides a quick reference as to what I have or don't have, and is a means of backing-up all of my recipes, new and old.

It doesn't have to be a "this OR that" but a "this AND that" kind of system. ;)

I don't understand how someone can use a recipe when the recipe is on the computer. It just gives me visions of flour and assorted sticky things on my keyboard.:ohmy:

I agree with a computer. The iPad is a whole new thing! No crevices for flour or anything else. Just wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth--I have a stack of cleaning cloths that my cleaning lady uses every week so having a clean one available is no problem. The MacGourmet software is really good and I can put whatever recipe I find from the internet and "clip" it to the program. Any notes can be added including revisions, suggestions, wine notes, anything at all. Sync it with the iPad and I'm good to go. If you get the iPhone app, you can even take all your recipes with you wherever you go, including the shopping list.

Back
Top Bottom