Impromptu Birthday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My best friend's birthday is tomorrow, and Kim and I are making a birthday dinner for her, her husband, and their 12 year old daughter.
We have smoked baby-back ribs in the freezer, that we fixed when our son was home, so that will be the entree. We're having baked potatoes tonight, so I'll fix some extra, and Kim can make his yummy fried baked potatoes.
Now all I need is an appetizer, another side dish, and a birthday cake.

As you all know, I'm limited as to how much I can do anymore, so I can't take too much on. I'm also limited to what I have in my pantry, because I'm not going be able to get to the store. I do have a big pantry, though.

I'm going to take the easy way out on the birthday cake...My daughter said she'd run by the store after work and pick one up from the bakery. They're pretty good, actually, and very pretty. We'll all be full and a little drunk by the time we get to the cake anyway...besides, it's really the thought that counts.

So that leaves me with only two things to do...the side dish and an appetizer
Surely I can handle that.
The only thing I'm low on is fresh stuff.

Any suggestions?

Maybe, since you're doing smoky ribs, guacamole or salsa with chips for an appetizer. Wouldn't tax you or your pantry too much. As for a side, how about a mulit-color coleslaw? Shredded carrots, red and green bell peppers cut in matchsticks, shredded red and green cabbage, etc. Again easy on you and the pantry.

Vera, it would be easier to tell you what isn't in the pantry, excluding exotic items.

Katie, I do have Pace Piquante Sause and a fresh bag of Fritos Scoopers. I also have sour cream in the fridge. I don't have anything to make guacamole or slaw. As I said, I'm low on fresh stuff, except some end of the season Roma tomatatoes.

How about some baked beans for a side dish? You could add some onions bacon, brown sugar and mustard to a can of baked beans to make them a little more fancy.

Rib and baked beans.... perfect with the fried potatoes. Add a jar of applesauce...heaven.

If you have the frito stuff, why not make a platter of nachos? Chop the tomatoes and spread over the chips. If you have cheese, sprinkle this next. Bake the whole thing for about 20 minutes.

Put a scoop of picante in the middle, and a scoop of sour cream at each end.

You girls have got my menu nailed! I even have the applesauce, and Alexa loves it. The natchos will be perfect.

I have the stuff, including a bag of Hormel bacon bits, so think I'll make half a batch of this:

Hawaiian Baked Beans

My mother found this recipe years ago in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine.

2 16oz cans pork and beans in tomato sauce
2 15oz cans 3 bean salad, drained
2 8oz cans crushed pineapple, drained
2/3 cup bottled BBQ sauce
2 tbl Worchester sauce
1 lb bacon, cooked, drained and chopped

In sprayed 3 quart casserole, combine all ingredients excepts bacon. Sprinkle bacon over top and bake uncovered in 350 degree over about 1 hour, until hot and bubbly.

Serves 12

Back
Top Bottom