In a chicken rut...help me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This makes a nice chicken in a gravy:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken (you can use breast or thighs)
1/4 cup butter
1 can of Cream of Celery or Cream of Chicken Soup
2 green onions, sliced
1 cup of sour cream

Mix together the flour along with all of the spices on a plate. Coat the chicken in the mixture.

Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.

In a bowl, whisk together the soup, sour cream. Add the green onions. Pour in the skillet. Bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Simple and Very tasty!

Baked Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 skinless chicken thighs

Directions : Baked Teriyaki Chicken - Allrecipes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Baked Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 skinless chicken thighs

Directions : Baked Teriyaki Chicken - Allrecipes.com

This sounds close to what I do sometimes when we want a different chicken recipe. Except I use honey instead of sugar, and I do it in a covered saute pan on the stove. Also I don't really measure the ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like hot wings, then you'll love this. It's a creation of mine from last summer that came out wonderful. I call it Smouldering Chicken, as it leaves you with a warm glow in your mouth. I grilled it without any flour coating, but am modifying the recipe and cooking technique right here, right now, just for you. Enjoy.

Oven Fried Smouldering Chicken
Ingredients:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand hot sauce
1 tsp. Tobasco brand hot sauce
1/8 tsp. Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke
1/2 onion, finely minced

1 cup flour
2 tsp. coarse grind Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Mustard powder

3 tbs. milk
1 large egg

6 chicken thighs, bone in
Cooking oil

Combine the hot sauces, liquid smoke, and onion. Place into a 1 gallon freezer bag along with the chicken. Shake to coat the chicken evenly and place in the fridge for 2 hours.

Combine the flour, pepper, salt, and mustard powder. When the two hours are up, preheat 2 inches of cookign oil in a heavy pan and preheat the oven to 375' F. Whisk together the egg and milk in a deep bowl. Remove the chicken from the fridge and dredge in the egg wash, then in the flour. Bump the chicken together to remove the extra flour and fry until lightly browned. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and serve with suitable sides.

Seeeeeeya; Godoweed of the North

I love to pound a chicken breast flat, which tenderizes and makes it an even thickness for even cooking, and then grill it like a steak. Its also a good way to make more servings out of chicken when you need to.

Wow I can go on for hours on how to cook a chicken, feel like Bubba in Forest Gump going on and on how to cook shrimp, in this case chicken. Fried Chicken is always a winner from Thai Fried Chicken, Country Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak. Most countries and regions have a distinct fried chicken recipe. Try googling Korean Fried Chicken, it is incredible. Good old chicken parm with spaghetti is also a sure fire hit that is hard to get tired of.

Take one, whole, roasting chicken. Clean out the inside cavity. Throw some chopped onion, and maybe some sliced celery in as well, with S & P of course. Now, pat the outside dry with paper towels, and rub all over with softened butter. Now, encase the whole bird with strips of bacon running from front to back.

Place potatoes, and mushrooms into a roasting pan, and set the chicken on a rack, over top of the veggies and 'shrooms. Place into a 375' oven and roast for about 15 minutes per pound.

Remove the veggies and mushrooms from the pan. Remove the bacon, chop it, and add it to the veggies and mushrooms. Turn up the oven temp to 450'. Place the chicken back into the oven and roast for 10 minutes more to crispy up the skin. Remove, turn the oven off, and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes. Make a roux based chicken gravy with the drippings. Add the onion and celery from inside the bird to the gravy, and blend together.

Carve and serve with boiled spuds, your baked veggies, and the gravy. Yum!:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm in a chicken rut, too. I picked up 7 more laying hens last week. They are in quarantine for another week, but weren't stressed by the move--they've been laying every day. Oh, I guess that's not the chicken rut the OP meant...

Here's my recipe for classic Burmese 'Shan Noodle':
Ingredients:
rice noodles soaked in hot water until al dente. Follow the instructions on the package.
3 fresh tomatoes
1 lb ground chicken
1 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic
1 t turmeric
1 T paprika
pinch Kosher salt/black pepper

3T coconut oil but you can use any cooking oil.
1/2 t of peanut butter
juice of half a lime
1 t of fish sauce
1 t sugar
S&P
hot water at hand
BTB chicken base

The method:
Use a food processor to puree the fresh tomatoes then sieve to remove the bitter seeds and skins. Set aside.
In a medium hot fry pan add half the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is translucent then add the sliced garlic. Fry gently for a few more minutes.
Set the onion and garlic aside. Add a bit more oil and gently fry the ground chicken until just cooked. When it’s cooked add the onion and garlic back in. You’ll probably need to break up chicken into little pieces in the pan as it's frying. Add the tomatoes and turmeric and paprika and peanut butter and fish sauce and sugar and enough hot water to be able to simmer the mixture for an hour over low heat. This is the ‘curry’. Let the curry paste reduce. Adjust with some S&P to your taste.
You’re looking for a rather thick curry paste consistency. But not too thick.

For the chicken broth follow the instructions on the BTB label to make a quart. You want a nice clean flavour so don’t add anything to it. All the other ingredients bring enough flavours to the dish.
You want the broth to be REALLY hot to warm up some of the other ingredients. Almost boiling.

Have the rice noodles soaked in hot water to ‘al dente’ and drained.

Serve in your special asian soup bowls if you have some.
First put in some rice noodles then a helping of the chicken curry paste on top then pour in just enough hot turkey broth to cover the noodles. You don’t want all the components of the dish floating in broth.
Garnish with fine chopped spring onion or cilantro.

Back
Top Bottom