In praise of pressure cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favourite pc "horror story" was told by my DH about a friend. Friend was cooking a whole chicken in the PC. I think he forgot it was on the stove. The entire chicken flew out through the safety valve and implanted itself in the ceiling. The PC was fine, but needed a new safety valve. :LOL:
how was the chicken?:wacko:!

The electric ones are the bees knees cause you can set n forget and they release the pressure automatically when the timer goes off. Or you can manually release. They have do many safety functions these days to prevent over pressure, exploding etc. I also remember dads stew on the roof incident, mum was away how hard can it be. Lol

there have been a couple of threads recently about slow cookers/crock pots & i swear by mine.fill it up in the morning,come home from work to a hot meal..fab!but,in some respects i prefer my pressure cooker.prepare the ingredients in the morning,as you would for slow cooking,come home at night,in the cooker....15-20 mins later hot meal.
personally i prefer the pressure cooker because i think the pc has the edge on flavour compared to the same dish in a sc,a 140 watt sc on for 6 hours uses more than twice the power that a pc on a 1200watt hob plate for 20 mins uses & my pressure cooker helped me end a relationship with a clingy girlfriend:wacko:!what? i hear you ask(well i would if anyone was reading this drivel:LOL:!)did you whack her with it? no.we were out shopping,she was nagging to move in,i wanted a pressure cooker,she kept pointing at the big family size ones,i picked up the small model that was described as"ideal for one" & said "this'll do fine" ahh well....!!
my fav pressure cooker meals are:
irish stew(a taste from my childhood-bolas & i still reminisce about it) neck end of lamb(lots of bone,lots of fat=lots of flavour),big chunks of potato,carrot & onion,chicken stock,salt,lots of ground black pepper & if you want to be cheffy some fresh thyme too.
cheats souvlaki(well it tastes a bit like it!) thick cut pork shoulder steaks,lemon juice,chopped garlic,greek oregano,chopped parsley,olive oil,red wine vinegar,salt,ground black pepper,chicken stock
what do you cook in your's

Irish Stew - SPOT ON with the lamb .. I use round neck, middle neck, lamb rib in my irish stew, but I do get rid of a lot of the fatty residue. I remember my gran making her stews or Bredies is what we call them in South Africa .. if you are a slow eater like I am the fat would start to stick to the fork, and also the roof of your mouth !!

I do Oxtail , lamb shanks in red wine or mint, Tomato Bredie, bean bredie, cabbage bredie, braised steak, slow cooked braised lamb or mutton leg, shoulder, beef olive, various soups, beetroot, curries and so much more ...... ALL IN THE PRESSURE COOKER :chef:

Irish Stew - SPOT ON with the lamb .. I use round neck, middle neck, lamb rib in my irish stew, but I do get rid of a lot of the fatty residue. I remember my gran making her stews or Bredies is what we call them in South Africa .. if you are a slow eater like I am the fat would start to stick to the fork, and also the roof of your mouth !!

I do Oxtail , lamb shanks in red wine or mint, Tomato Bredie, bean bredie, cabbage bredie, braised steak, slow cooked braised lamb or mutton leg, shoulder, beef olive, various soups, beetroot, curries and so much more ...... ALL IN THE PRESSURE COOKER :chef:
pressure cookers.....they are indeed man's second best friend:LOL:!slow eater? you'd have starved in our house....still got the fork marks in my arm to prove it.......
could you post a pressure cooker curry recipe or two please didiod:yum:

Just purchased a new Sunbeam 2 quart PC for the stove top. It's not top of the line. But I just spent all of my money on my garden. I tried it out last night and it worked as well as any PC I've owned, and for only $20.00 U.S. I'm not pressure canning, or cooking for more than two, usually. And so this PC works great for my needs. What more can you ask for from an aluminum pot?:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

pressure cookers.....they are indeed man's second best friend:LOL:!slow eater? you'd have starved in our house....still got the fork marks in my arm to prove it.......
could you post a pressure cooker curry recipe or two please didiod:yum:

:LOL: I think I take longer to eat than some foods cooked in the PC. I did learn to eat pretty quickly when in boarding school tho. My friends all know me by now and are used to me still eating after we have left the table. That is what enjoying food is all about ... good company, good food and of course some good vino.

I will put some recipes together for various curries. I make my own curry pastes based on traditional Cape Malay blends and more or less just throw things in by taste.

Di

My favourite pc "horror story" was told by my DH about a friend. Friend was cooking a whole chicken in the PC. I think he forgot it was on the stove. The entire chicken flew out through the safety valve and implanted itself in the ceiling. The PC was fine, but needed a new safety valve. :LOL:

I inherited an old PC that had a valve that just sat on the PC, no screw in thing. I made some pea and ham soup, left it on high a bit too long and .... well the valve shot off and out erupted a volcano of pea soup. :ohmy:

My friends all know me by now and are used to me still eating after we have left the table. That is what enjoying food is all about ... good company, good food and of course some good vino.

Di
so,if they have all left you eating at the table,what happened to the "good company".....................:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:!!

An electric pressure cooker is on my wish list. I just can't justify buying one right now. The contract I was to do in July and August has been pulled, so I'm on a very tight budget until something else crops up.

I use my pressure cooker a lot. It is great for certain things- stews, pot roast, stocks, of course. And- hard boiled eggs. I give them ten minutes at 15 lbs, release pressure immediately. Perfect every time and because I am only bringing a half cup of water to the boil, much faster than boil on the stove top method.

I use my pressure cooker a lot. It is great for certain things- stews, pot roast, stocks, of course. And- hard boiled eggs. I give them ten minutes at 15 lbs, release pressure immediately. Perfect every time and because I am only bringing a half cup of water to the boil, much faster than boil on the stove top method.
they are a joy....particularly with our weather and,as i said when i started the thread,imo they have the edge on slow cookers in the texture/flavour department too(much as i love my sc).they cost less to run meal for meal too

Back
Top Bottom