Increase the time for edits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GAH!! Izz u peckin' on meh?!:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I am on a few other forums, &, the ability to re-edit our posts at any time is quite a simple thing to do. It used to bother me to bits when I ran across a typo-o.:wacko: Here, I just have to "live w/it", & move on. I REALLY do wish we could edit. I vote to "lift the ban" on that 20 min. rule!

If the edit is important, you can always PM any moderator and we can made the correction for you - no charge and with a smile.:LOL:

Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve." :ermm:

Does that mean you spelled it correctly in 4 posts, or did you have 4 posts without the term?:LOL:

Umm... I have 550 posts that I'd really like to have edited for a correct spelling of "hors d'oerve." :ermm:

First we have to find a mod that can spell it correctly, I always have to look it up.

Last edited:
Fewer edits are needed if you use preview and read it through before posting.

i try to do that when i respond from my droid.
i fat finger that tiny software keyboard so often that preview is almost a necessity, but there's not always time.

Honestly though, unless we begin to get some sort of "good time" credit for being punctual...does is HONESTLY matter if something is misspelled? As mentioned before, I type insane things sometimes...I try to put the (sp)? when I am sure that I could be wrong, but...hey - thats life...I'm no spelling major, just someone who enjoys posting w/internet "friends". I really don't care HOW ya'll post, ...just the fact that ya'll DO post!!

Interesting comments on the editing. I also rarely use the Preview button. I have seen a typo or two and was able to quickly go into my post and edit it without the "last edited by" footnote appearing. You gotta be quick though.
I run a Google taskbar and the spellcheck allows you to ignore or add words, just like Word.
Anyway, the edit time doesn't bother me. If I didin't press my laptops keys hard enough and there's a typo or nospace between words, so be it. If there's is a recipe I posted that I would like to add a pic with or change something I'll ask a mod. There are enough "edited by" on this forum that it almost looks out of place to have a clean post, lol.

On the cursor thing though... I put in my vote to leave it as is. The right side of the screen is a safe haven for my cursor, so that I can scroll the page using the arrow keys without activating the first few lines of text on every message.

Interesting comments on the editing. I also rarely use the Preview button. I have seen a typo or two and was able to quickly go into my post and edit it without the "last edited by" footnote appearing. You gotta be quick though.
I run a Google taskbar and the spellcheck allows you to ignore or add words, just like Word.
Anyway, the edit time doesn't bother me. If I didin't press my laptops keys hard enough and there's a typo or nospace between words, so be it. If there's is a recipe I posted that I would like to add a pic with or change something I'll ask a mod. There are enough "edited by" on this forum that it almost looks out of place to have a clean post, lol.

On the cursor thing though... I put in my vote to leave it as is. The right side of the screen is a safe haven for my cursor, so that I can scroll the page using the arrow keys without activating the first few lines of text on every message.

Thanks for expressing some of my thoughts, Pac. I'll edit for my own satisfaction (picky), but basically what I'd been trying to express is who cares? It's the content I'm interested in, not who can spell better.

I've tried the preview. It's no better than the message form IMO and doesn't show the way the post will show as well as the actual post.

I've had to teach myself to keep my cursor away from the links. It's disconcerting to have things flash into and out of view, and my bad habit is pointing at what I'm reading.:LOL:

Typos happen to everyone at one time or another, but misspelling, punctuation and grammar... if there's an opportunity to correct it, well, for my own postings, I care.

Lately I've also taken up handwriting notes ("Thank You" notes, birthday and holiday notes, and "Thinking Of You" notes,) and mailing them, so I've been practicing improving my penmanship while writing my messages error-free the first time. Being single, communicating with family and friends is important to me, so I want to do my best. It may not always be perfect, but I try and I care.

Last edited:
"Let he who is without errors shoot the first flame."

First of all, an edit doesn't mean you're correcting an error. Sometimes you go back to add a piece of information.

Second, take a second to reread what you wrote before posting to catch errors. It helps but I still post with errors.

Third, no one thinks you're perfect so they won't be wracked with anxiety if they see an error in your posts.

My spell checker has not identified any of the words in this post as incorrect. Can you find one?

I think 20 minutes is plenty of time, usually, certainly for corrections, and you can always add another post. It's just not that big a deal.

Last edited:
"Let he who is without errors shoot the first flame."

First of all, an edit doesn't mean you're correcting an error. Sometimes you go back to add a piece of information.

Second, take a second to reread what you wrote before posting to catch errors. It helps but I still post with errors.

Third, no one thinks you're perfect so they won't be wracked with anxiety if they see an error in your posts.

My spell checker has not identified any of the words in this post as incorrect. Can you find one?

No, I can't find any spelling errors. Was it trick question? :LOL:

Typos happen to everyone at one time or another, but misspelling, punctuation and grammar... if there's an opportunity to correct it, well, for my own postings, I care.

I totally agree. I don't care if it says that the post was edited.

I think we should all try to spell correctly. Misspellings make it really hard to understand, when English isn't a persons first language. It makes it impossible for Google translate to get it right. I'm not saying it's a big deal. It's just something to think about.

I didn't mean that everyone should use preview every time they post.

If you care about it saying that that a post was edited, then preview the post so it is less likely to need to be edited.

Or netbooks with small keyboards...or late at night after a glass of wine...

I'm part of a writers and editors forum...gosh forbid if your post has a typo! The "list bullys" beat you up. In my professional life, I am an editor and writer. Even we make mistakes. I think tolerance is important--there are many people on this list from other countries or for whom English is not their native language. Writing in another language is the last skill one masters and is the hardest to master. I would rather see people post than not post because they are afraid their English isn't good enough. I hate it when I see a typo in one of my posts after the time limit has passed to edit it--I hang my head in embarassment. Can we add a spell checker to the options?

"list bullys"??????????

Back
Top Bottom