Indian Street Food in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't Indian Street Food considered Fast Food? You'd best define which Fast Foods you are thinking of, Chicken, Beef, Subs, Thai, Tex-Mex or Indian.
How about you start by saying which you prefer. A bonus would be as to why it is your preference, eg. has a great variety, close to work, most consistent across multiple joints, etc... or you just prefer that type.

I have never actually come across Indian street food. I would probably prefer that to most "fast food". But, I would probably also prefer Mexican street food to most fast food.

I agree with dragn. We need to know what you mean by fast food.

These questions about whether or not Indian street food is fast food made me think of something. This seems to be the slogan for a deli owned by one of our members, @Rocklobster.

1668199623768-png.62443

Attachments

• 1668199623768.png
    1668199623768.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 73
Most of the members here are Americans or Canadians. Because our societies are relatively young, we don't have a lot of street food except in the larger cities, mostly in the northeast in the US. There wasn't a lot of immigration from India to the US, so Indian street food is not as common as that from other countries.

I can't say I have a favorite street food since I rarely have it.

Last edited:
Street food is quite a big thing in the UK - and certainly not restricted to Indian Street food I suppose the better question would have been "Do you prefer Street food to Fast food" as they are often quite different things (though depending on your interpretation they could be interchangeable terms I guess).

I would probably say I prefer Street food because it is usually a bit more interesting. But I am not averse to fast food either! Had a MacDonald's Quarter Pounder with Cheese and fries just today as it happens!

Welcome to the forum!

I always figured Indian "street food" is their version of fast food, and I'm glad we don't have it around here, because I would eat it too often, with all those deep fried foods! ;) I don't really eat our fast food - I think it's been 10 years, since on a trip with a friend, that I had any.

Most of my books, with chapters labeled "street food", had most of the recipes deep fried, and I'm sure they would be good, but I don't want to make things like that, as a rule. Variations on many of them can be done in an air fryer, with a little oil sprayed on. The key to many is some sort of chutney(s), to dunk them in, or a chaat masala to sprinkle on them.

Street food and food trucks are popular in our city center during the summer months.

I’m not aware of any Indian options.

If I was a downtown regular I would prefer street food from a trusted vendor with an interesting menu.

If I was new to ‘the scene’ I would probably opt for mass produced highly regulated fast food from a major corporation.

This town I live in has only one food truck (Mexican) that I've only just started to see. But there are a myriad of other little tiny restaurants - some with only a few tables, most as take-out of almost every ethnic food types you can imagine.

Back
Top Bottom