Induction & Canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summer57

Senior Cook
I've been hesitant to can on my new induction range in case I damaged the cooktop. Plus, my usual canning pots aren't induction friendly.

Despite the local heatwave, I canned a batch of Apricot & Tonka bean jam yesterday. Success!

Ended up using my le creuset dutch oven to make the jam, and 10 litre pressure cooker as the boiling water boiler.

The best thing about using induction is that it gets things boiling instantly, and responds just as quickly when I turn the heat down.

No mess to clean up on the cooktop, either - I put paper towels between the pot & the burner.

When it comes to pressure canning, I think I'll just get a separate burner/hotplate.

Summer, it sounds like you have it handled. I've seen the cadco burner recommended by the canning group on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/legacy/notes/212729019319589/

Or maybe you already have a separate burner.

I was able to try an induction stove and oven at my son's home. They were outfitted with all stainless brand name pots that filled a large pantry, those lucky guys. I really liked it. I cook on gas. (my igniter seemed slow for the oven, but I replaced it, easy youtube replacement instructions).

My dream kitchen....induction stove and oven, pantry full of stainless steel beautiful pots and pans.

Thank you for the recommendation! Sounds perfect. I love canning and cooking in big batches, though it's pretty much just me these days.

I haven't purchased new cookware yet, I have a couple of all-clad that are ok, but my favourite copper-core all clad dutch oven doesn't work. Very sad about that. I also have a carbon steel pan, those are perfect.

My copper cookware is now display- or oven-only.

I envy your son's kitchen! A new set of cookware would be very nice.

There are induction adapters available online that are placed on the induction burner which will allow you to use any pot on your induction stove
You simply.put your non-onduction pot on top of the adapter, and you're good to go.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There are induction adapters available online that are placed on the induction burner which will allow you to use any pot on your induction stove
You simply.put your non-onduction pot on top of the adapter, and you're good to go.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Induction adapters don't work very well, are inefficient, and more importantly, can damage your induction cooktop because the the thin disk overheats if left on too long under a non-conductive pot.

In theory, you might think it works but in practice, it does not, especially if you have one of the higher-end induction ranges that gets really hot.

I've tried a disk on my range, and would not recommend them to others.

Induction adapters don't work very well, are inefficient, and more importantly, can damage your induction cooktop because the the thin disk overheats if left on too long under a non-conductive pot.

In theory, you might think it works but in practice, it does not, especially if you have one of the higher-end induction ranges that gets really hot.

I've tried a disk on my range, and would not recommend them to others.

With pressure canning, they are used at a fairly high heat for such a long time (say 90 minutes). I agree with you. Taking a chance on damaging the stove.

With pressure canning, they are used at a fairly high heat for such a long time (say 90 minutes). I agree with you. Taking a chance on damaging the stove.

Absolutely! That's why I really appreciate your advice on the hot plate.

Back
Top Bottom