Induction Cookware Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drjay9051

Assistant Cook
About to buy induction range (GE PHS930SLSS).

I am aware of need for cookware having magnetic based material such as cast iron or some stainless products.

I also have been told that if magnet clings to bottom I can use with my new range. So my new Analon skillets are magnetic although they do NOT have the induction logo. My Calphalon stock pots are not magnetic and need to be repllaced.

Question is as follows: Does cookware which is more magnetic e.g. stronger hold of magnet mean it will cook ore efficiently than a lightly magnetic pot. In other words does a greater percentage of magnetic material mean the induction range will be more efficient or boil water more quickly?

Best to look for induction logo?

The answer to your question is no, a stronger magnetic attraction is not an indicator of a better utensil for an induction cooktop.

Your last question is the key. A visit to the cookware maker's website and a question to customer support could answer your questions too.

Also, if you're definitely buying the induction cooktop, just wait and try the cookware on the new stovetop.

The answer to your question is no, a stronger magnetic attraction is not an indicator of a better utensil for an induction cooktop.

Your last question is the key. A visit to the cookware maker's website and a question to customer support could answer your questions too.

Also, if you're definitely buying the induction cooktop, just wait and try the cookware on the new stovetop.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question and I am not intending to start a war as i am a new chef at an older age.

I was looking at the discount sale (irregular) all clad induction cookware on cookware and more.Is there a simple explanation as to why a stockpot ( even at discount is several hundred dollars?

Does it really matter what you boil your water or make your stew in?

I suspect art of it is bragging rights but seriously in the end for a weekend chef does it matter?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question and I am not intending to start a war as i am a new chef at an older age.

I was looking at the discount sale (irregular) all clad induction cookware on cookware and more.Is there a simple explanation as to why a stockpot ( even at discount is several hundred dollars?

Does it really matter what you boil your water or make your stew in?

I suspect art of it is bragging rights but seriously in the end for a weekend chef does it matter?

All-Clad is generally considered among the best of multi-ply cookware. for a stockpot, the quality difference is probably not significant.

I'm a fan of multi-ply cookware but I have stockpots that are not multi-ply.

As a matter of fact, I have a set of four stainless steel stockpots with lids; 8, 12, 16 and 20 quart sizes; that I bought for about $20. They are tin as paper but the the pot is full of liquid, it doesn't matter. As a rule I do not recommend this type of a purchase.

I have a Tramontina 12-quart stockpot that's stainless with a multi-ply disk on the bottom. Works great for my big batches of tomato sauce.

Where All-Clad quality comes into play most is with pans that have to deal with high heats for searing and browning, such as skillets and sauté pans. I have All-Clad skillets along with some cast iron.

Before you replace all your pots and pans, try using an Induction Heat Diffuser. It goes between the burner and the pan, allowing you to use non-magnetic pans on an induction burner, and 20 bucks can save you hundreds.

Using 1 of those defeats the purpose of the induction. It makes it less efficient and adds additional heat to the environment because it basically becomes a regular stovetop putting out heat.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I got a single induction burner several years ago, originally for using outside, or elsewhere, but I ended up liking it so much, I got rid of a lot of my pans (I loved those Calphalon pots, and had them since the 70s!), and gave them to friends, who I knew could use them - the only pans on my wall now that are not induction capable are a couple of Calphalon skillets, and the copper pans. I use it, starting when I turn on my AC, and put it away when the AC goes off - I still like my gas better, but not the heat!

Amazingly, even thin pans heat fast, so a fairly cheap induction capable SS pan will work. I got a large, 4 1/2 qt, tea kettle, to replace the large one I had, and the bottom is thin, as are most tea kettles, but it will boil water faster than the high heat burners on my range, turned up just enough for the flames to come around the sides! So something this thin would be fine, for just boiling water, for stock or pasta. Of course, if you are using a pot for sautéing some onions and the like in, before adding the water and other ingredients, you might want a little thicker pan, or a disk on the bottom, like Andy has - this is not really good for gas, since the flames come up around the disk, and can burn the food on the thin area, but for induction, it's fine, and usually much cheaper than the 3 layer going all the way up the sides. I did keep my Calphalon stockpots, since I still have the option of using the gas, but if I had to move somewhere, where I had the induction, that would be my choice, for a stock pot. I have a similar, 8 qt saucepan, with a disk - I don't even know the brand name, just a commercial brand, and I use that on the range and burner for pasta

I got really good buys on Cuisinart saucepans and sauté pans, and I actually like those better than All Clads I've used in friend's kitchens - the handles feel better, and they have a slight curve on the lips, which is great for pouring (some All Clads have those now, too), and all have metal lids (I do not like glass, as I know it will eventually break!). I do have one All Clad French style pan, that I got cheap, and use frequently. I also got a deal on one MIU sauté pan, which is a good quality.

As for the CI, the bottoms of almost all are rough, and can scratch, so I sanded mine, though I rarely use them on there, anyway. Some enameled CI also have rough bottoms, while some are smooth.

On the subject of those Induction heat diffusers, I have a couple of metal disks (really all they are) I could use for that (I have them as heat diffusers over those gas flames, that don't go low enough), but I've never done it. The only pan I have that I've thought of using it for, is a large, all aluminum steamer, but I just use a wok and a bamboo steamer. Using it for all those pans I replaced would make it less efficient, for sure, and I'd have that hot metal disk, left after the cooking. But it could be used occasionally, for something like that steamer, that isn't used that often, but you wouldn't want to replace it.

Have fun with your new range, and good luck getting some deals on the pans you need.

Last edited:
Induction stoves work by producing magnetic lines of force that pass through what they touch. When an electrically conductive material passes thrugh magnetic lines of force, or.moving magnetic foce pass through a conductor, an electrical current is produced. This is called induction. Stainless steel, high carbon steel, an cast iron are all conductors, but poor conductors of both heat, and electrical current. It is the resistance to current that makes them get hot on an induction stove. Aluminum, and copper don't work because they are great conductors of electricity. There isn't enough resistance to the induced elrctrical eddy currents to create heat. Glass and ceramic are non-conductors, (insulators) and magnetic force does not create electrcal eddy current in them.

An induction stove varies the pan temperature by increasing, or decreasing the strength of the magnetic field, controled by the heat control settings on th range.

Using a steel heat diffuser will work because the manetic field will get the diffuser hot, which will then transfer the heat energy to a non conductive, or sn aluminum, or copper pan. But it will not be as efficient as the magnetic force creating heat directly in the pan.

The reason multi-clad pans are popular is that highly heat conductive materials are sandwiched btween layers of stainless steel, whic again, is a poor heat conductor. The goid heat conductor distributes the heat all over the pan, eliminating hot spots. Also, with an induction stove, only the metal that has magnetic force passing through it gets hot (the bottom of the pan). Multi clad pans will help distribute the produced heat energy to yhe sides of the pan. Induction is petfect for a flat bottomed carbon steel wok, where you want the bottom hot, and the sides cooler. For stock pots, and dutch ovens, this also works. For sauce pots, sauciers, ans such, multi clad is better.

Think of what you want to cook., and the physics involved, and the type of pan you will need will become intuitive. Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwond of the North

Back
Top Bottom