Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Today I made a version of Cuban black bean soup, though with some non-traditional ingredients. And I used a combination of pressure cooking the beans initially, then slow cooked it with the remaining ingredients added. No ham hocks, but I had a chunk of leftover ham in the freezer (that I usually use in Jambalaya), so I diced that up for it. I started in the sauté mode in the Instant Pot, with chopped onions and frying peppers in olive oil. Then I added some garlic and tomato paste, cumin, and smoked paprika, and stirred it a couple of minutes, then added the water. I added a pound of black beans, salted it lightly, then set the IP for manual, 15 minutes, and shut the lid. After it cooked, and the pressure released naturally, I removed the lid (the beans were not quite done). Then I added the ham, 1/2 c black quinoa, 1/2 c red lentils, and some morita powder (to add some heat, plus a little more smoky taste). Then I simmered it on slow cook/high, for about 1 1/2 hours, adding some chopped mustard greens with 1/2 hr left. I mashed a bit of it to thicken it, and served it with a little crema.
Chopped mustard greens added to Cuban black beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Cuban black bean soup, with a little crema added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom