Instant Pot mushroom barley soup, using pressure and slow cook mode.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Definitely a soup day today! I soaked 1 lb of kala chana - black chick peas - overnight, then pressure cooked them for 1 hr, and then it slow cooked another 5 hours, along with all of the other ingredients, but those chickpeas are not falling apart at all!

I rinsed those cooked chickpeas, and put about 1/3 of them in the fridge for a later salad, and then set the IP on high sauté mode, and cooked a large chopped onion in olive oil, until starting to brown, then turned off, and cooked 2 minced garlic cloves and 2 tb tomato paste, in the heat left in the pot. Then I added 3/4 c pearl barley, 1/2 c masoor dal, 1 oz dried boletus, soaked and minced, 6 c chicken broth, and 2 of the boletus soaking water, 1 tb chopped fresh rosemary, 2 fresh bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. I also added a chunk of parmesan rind from the freezer. This was put on slow cooker mode for 4 hours.

Meanwhile, using the ATK method to cook the mushrooms, I washed and quartered them, then steamed them briefly, then cooked the water off. Then I added 2 tsp oil, and cooked 7 or 8 min, until browning. I put these in the soup for the last half hour - this way, they don't lose all of their flavor into the soup. Last, I stirred in a quarter cup of chopped parsley, and served it with some grated parmesan.
Mushroom, barley, black chickpea, and red lentil soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mushroom soup, with a little grated parmesan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
First time I have cooked much lately, due to all the garden work - just ate small salads and the like, plus those things in my freezer - I put a dent in that! Today, another soup day, with that unusual cold weather, I made a mushroom barley soup; since Aldi had mushrooms on sale this week, I got a pound of them, and made this. It was my basic mushroom barley soup, starting by soaking 3/4 oz dried boletus, which I cleaned the grit out of, minced them up, then used the soaking and cleaning water in the soup. In some ghee in the Instant Pot, I sautéed some onions and carrots, then added some garlic and fresh rosemary, minced together. I also put something non-traditional in, just to use up the last two in the fridge - some baby bok choy, which I diced up, and added at the same time as the garlic. I added the water, and a quart of chicken broth, plus some white miso, and a little light soy sauce, plus a cup of pearl barley, and the minced up boletus. I brought it to the boil on high sauté, then off, then low pressure cooked for 30 min., releasing pressure naturally. While cooking, I washed and cut up the mushrooms, then cooked them using the ATK method, steaming, then browning in a small amount of oil. When the pressure was released, I added 1/4 c of red lentils to the soup, to thicken it, as it was a little thin, then added the mushrooms, and 12 oz. of cooked, shredded turkey, that had been frozen. I adjusted the salt with a little more light soy, added about 20 grinds of black pepper, then I simmered this on slow cook high, for about 15 minutes, at which time it was much thicker, and the lentils had more or less dissolved. Turned out great, and now I have a lot of leftovers for these nice days ahead!
Mushroom barley soup, after adding the mushrooms and the cooked turkey, to cook a while longer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mushroom barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom