Irish Recipes that Aren't Corned Beef and Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mother used to make Boxty and I loved it. Her Mom was from County Cork. I also grew up on soda bread.

However, the big thing was corned beef. She corned it herself in a big crock with a plate for a lid and a huge rock on top to hold it down. She left it in the basement and when it was finally time to cook it, the house was filled with the heavenly aroma. I think she usually roasted it and served it with roasted cabbage and boiled potatoes and carrots. She did make it in March once in awhile, however, she mainly did it for New Years!

As a kid, my parents made me eat corned beef and cabbage on Saint Patty's day. I hated it.

So, these days, I eat whatever I want, and wash it down with lots of beer, as you do on Saint Patty's day. I put green food coloring in my beer one year. It didn't add anything, so I didn't do it again.

I will probably be traveling this year on Saint Patty's day, but airports have bars. I'll invoice it as "miscellaneous expenses."

CD

A consensus of my Irish American family's dinners today are: 4 votes for corned beef and cabbage, 2 for baked salmon with mustard crust, 1 rack of lamb, and 1 Guinness (lamb) stew.

For a weird but tasty Irish appetizer, try putting a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on a rustic cracker (like one of those Wasa wholegrain thick crackers), the topping it with a bit of spicy brown mustard and minced raw onion.
Goes great with a beer.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

After seeing all the posts about corned beef, I ended up making that for my St. Patrick's Day lunch. I used a pressure cooker, and got it done in an hour. I'll try the slow cooker method next time, since - tasty as it was - I found it to be a bit tough. Or, maybe it's because I got it from Kroger?

After seeing all the posts about corned beef, I ended up making that for my St. Patrick's Day lunch. I used a pressure cooker, and got it done in an hour. I'll try the slow cooker method next time, since - tasty as it was - I found it to be a bit tough. Or, maybe it's because I got it from Kroger?
What's wrong with Kroger?

If it was tough, it probably wasn't done.

Edit: both of these recipes say to pressure-cook it for 90 minutes.

- http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

- https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

Last edited:
What's wrong with Kroger?

If it was tough, it probably wasn't done.

Edit: both of these recipes say to pressure-cook it for 90 minutes.

- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

- https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

Thanks for that! I found 2 pressure cooker recipes that said to cook it for an hour, but it's certainly worth trying again for 90 minutes...especially since I bought a second brisket because the price was so good. My comment about Kroger was more about the cut of meat (thinking, maybe, that I needed to get a better quality cut from somewhere else). ;)

Thanks for that! I found 2 pressure cooker recipes that said to cook it for an hour, but it's certainly worth trying again for 90 minutes...especially since I bought a second brisket because the price was so good. My comment about Kroger was more about the cut of meat (thinking, maybe, that I needed to get a better quality cut from somewhere else). ;)

You're welcome [emoji2] The author of the first site I listed has written at least one pressure cooker cookbook, including contributing recipes to the one included with the Instant Pot multicooker, and I've found her recipes reliable.

I love Kroger; I think they have good quality meat. Brisket takes a long time to cook.

OK, Late Night Gourmet-- give it up. What does "I'm Rob Perini from the Clan Perini" refer to. I don't think it's from Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

OK, Late Night Gourmet-- give it up. What does "I'm Rob Perini from the Clan Perini" refer to. I don't think it's from Darby O'Gill and the Little People.
I was a big fan of the movie The Highlander, where the lead character says several times, "I'm Duncan MacLeod from the Clan MacLeod". I worked with a man from Scotland at the time, and it amused him when I tapped into my heritage and said that "I'm Rob Perini from the Clan Perini". I'm not sure if he thought it was funnier to claim that someone with an Italian name would be somehow connected with Britain, or if it was because I tried to connect my Irish heritage with Scotland (some people do take differences like that quite seriously).

Now that I've typed that out, I realize it's a long way to go for a pretty lame joke. :LOL:

My regular go-to store is Kroger, and some of their meats are really good, but their brisket cuts are generally USDA "select," which is the lowest grade. I generally go elsewhere for brisket.

Kroger Simple Truth chicken, on the other hand, is awesome. Actually, overall, I find the Simple Truth products from Kroger to be top-shelf.

CD

My regular go-to store is Kroger, and some of their meats are really good, but their brisket cuts are generally USDA "select," which is the lowest grade. I generally go elsewhere for brisket.

Kroger Simple Truth chicken, on the other hand, is awesome. Actually, overall, I find the Simple Truth products from Kroger to be top-shelf.

CD

Thanks...this is good to know! I did put the brisket in the pressure cooker for another 30 minutes, and it was a lot better, but not deli quality. I hate when the food I make isn't as good as the pros. But, this time, I think it comes down to the ingredients. ;)

Back
Top Bottom