Iron suggestion needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RuthieCTucker

Assistant Cook
Hi.
Are clothing steamers better than irons for getting wrinkles out of clothing?
I have an iron and ironing board right now, but I'm thinking of getting one of those clothing steamers.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Welcome to DC, Ruthie! I recently bought a Rowenta iron that has a steaming feature. It ironed a very lightweight blouse and silky matching camisole wonderfully, then steamed all of the wrinkles out of a shawl. This is the second Rowenta iron I have bought, the first being sometime in the early 1990s. I don't use my full size iron often now, but that first Rowenta was put to work heavily in the 1990s.

I can give you the full model name and number if you would like. The box is in the basement while I'm on the second floor of the house. I'm sure I'll be in the basement later today.

You have to be careful ironing or steaming fabrics nowadays. I have a few things come out of the gentle wash cycle looking beautiful and wrinkle horribly while drying. I think they were not cut on the straight. Garments with different weights and layers will be much better off steamed.

A friend of mine swears by using a steamer. The only reason that she still owns an iron is because she sews a lot and you can't press a seam open with a steamer. She said that the steamer is easier and quicker and you never accidentally iron in a crease with it. I have certainly ironed creases into things by accident, using an iron. I gave up using the steam function with irons, when I discovered that spritzing most things with a fine spray of water worked better. I have looked at buying a steamer, but I don't really need either a steamer or an iron very often. I haven't used either of my two irons in years.

Last edited:
They are good for touch-ups, and maybe removing wrinkles from lighter fabrics, but you'll need an iron. You can't steam a dress shirt.
I recommend getting one these. I prefer the Rowenta DG8520, since it's small enough for travel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom