Is a vegan foodie okay with yall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggythefrog

Senior Cook
Going into my reasons for being vegan may not be appropriate to these forums, so I will just say that I am a person who eats a purely plant-based diet. I've always been fascinated by food, even before becoming vegan and enjoy a wide range of tastes. For me, veganism has mostly just opened up a whole new world where you place your focus on all the fascinating dishes and cooking techniques for veggies, grains, and legumes. I've been looking for a place to post some of my recipes, including some of my most basic ones and was wondering if this community was open to it.

Fine by me!! Im vegetarian, not vegan. Just got back from a food and wine festival, where I saw Christina Pirello ( vegan PBS show) do a cooking demo and sampled her pea stuffed ravioli. I look forward to seeing/ trying some of your recipes.

larry

I can put up with a vegan if you can put up with a non-vegan! :LOL:

Welcome! :chef:

welcome vegan!!

The produce department of my grocery store is my favorite of all.I seem to buy a little of this and a little of that and think I'm really doing myself and family a favor by buying so many vegies.However when I get home these vegies get smotherd in cheese,butter,salt and pretty much anything I can think of to make them taste better to me, and ruin any healthy benifits they had.I for one welcome you because I am getting pretty fat and would really like some recipies from someone that embraces this diet.I do hope you post some.

CookLikeJulia: I am certainly not expecting any conversions -- it'd be like me sharing some of my New Mexican cooking and expecting everyone to move to New Mexico after eating it. Not too much to ask, is it? ;) I see this as just a chance to share the little I know and benefit from the lot this community knows. :)

Wanna be: With a lot of vegetables (like potatoes or asparagus), you can simply toss them in some EVOO along with some crushed cloves of garlic, coarse salt and coarse ground pepper and bake in a pyrex pan uncovered at about 360C until tender but not dried out, and they will be good. Try this with asparagus or brussel sprouts sliced in half. It's perhaps not a low fat way to eat veggies, but it's veggies with a good fat on them.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! It sounds like I will enjoy it here.

Hey, Froggy. There's a handful of vegan/vegetarians floating around here. It's good to see you joining the ranks.

All meals should contian a healthy portion of veg and or fruit. Hopefully you will get some of us out our veggie comfort zones with your recipes.

here's my vegan comfort zone =)

4320437891_fd96a6e6ca.jpg

Froggy, I was a vegetarian for about 8 years until I was told by a doctor that I needed red meat protien. But in my work I cook a lot of vegan and vegetarian dishes and I enjoy them myself. I would love trading recipes with you.

Poor, poor plants, my hart goes out to them.

Eat Meat, save Plants.;) :LOL:

Welcome to the forum. Actually I love vegans, the less meat somebody else eat, the more of it is left for me.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I read a book about the health benefits of veganism some time back. And finding ways to incorporate more fruit, veggies, and legumes sounds great to me. Welcome to the site!

Howdy and welcome to DC!!
I would be very surprised to find that anyone here would object to Vegans.
This is one of the very best forums and the atmosphere here is one of friendly discussion, where varying viewpoints meet and mingle. I am looking forward to learning more about the Vegan lifestyle...not because I ever aim to be one. Just for the sake of understanding.

I can put up with a vegan if you can put up with a non-vegan! :LOL:

Welcome! :chef:

Well said, Selkie! :)

I'm not vegan, nor vegetarian, but I try to eat and cook lower on the food chain. We enjoy many vegetarian (and vegan) dishes at Chez Julia. I think the US would be a much healthier country if vegetables were at the center of our plates, rather than meat.

I don't know, I eat more vegies, than I ever did back in my soviet days, but i am less healthy. I think we simply eat too much and move too litle, way too little. I used to walk at least 3-4 miles a day, now I do not walk at all and I am not alone.

Back
Top Bottom