Is anybody eating out these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Anybody going to sit down restaurants? How has it been? How do you feel when you are there? I haven't gone to a sit down pace since this whole thing began..we order take out, but that's it...I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do it..I guess because I work in one all day, we are exclusivley take out, we've roped off our dining area.....thankfully I haven't gone to many before the pandemic as our small town doesn't have any good places...I can't bring myself to order deep fried stuff or gloopy gravy that has been poured on something half an hour ago...Hopefully we get a handle on this as I do miss just going out to see who I can see and have a pint..

I miss going out to eat, but I'm not going until I feel it's safe. Montreal is a red zone at the moment. We order out regularly. Wanting to support the local restos is a great excuse for not making supper when we are too tired or not motivated.

SO and I went to a sit down restaurant once this summer. I wasn't completely indoors. On the ocean with big open windows. We do take-out if we need restaurant food.

I feel for all these restaurant owners during this pandemic, but I really never went to them or ordered anything, so this didn't change much for me! (The last time I went out to a restaurant was in April of last year, when a large group of us got together in one, after my sister passed away!). And I didn't understand why people have such an obsession with going to restaurants, that they are willing to risk their lives to go into them the first night they loosened the restrictions. I realize that many simply don't like to cook, but is their dislike for cooking this strong?

And what is this crap about them setting up "greenhouses" with heaters in them out in the streets, now that it's getting colder? Isn't that still inside???

Last edited:
It took us awhile to start ordering in, but now we do that on a weekly basis as we used to.
Haven't ate inside a sit down restaurant since March. We dont go out much , anyway, but not worth the risk. My occupation is High risk enough, I don't need any additional risk.

We have started lately. Took about 6 months before we even ordered to go.

It is nuts. Wear a mask till you are seated, then take it off and sit across the table from your companions.

I try and slide over and sit across from the empty seat. However, I used to do this anyway, as I am not a fan of food spit on my plate. Also don't share salsa.

We've been out to eat twice since March. For my birthday in June we went to a nice restaurant that only had outdoor seating at the time. They have a beautiful patio and had situated the tables about 10 feet apart. The second time was Friday - we stopped at a Panera for takeout after a doctor's appointment. It was around 11 am and there were only about four other customers eating inside so we decided to stay. An employee was going around sanitizing tables and chairs. I felt safe. But we will not be eating inside a restaurant until a vaccine has been available for a while. I'm immunocompromised and not in general good health, so I can't take risks.

We eat in restaurants frequently. It isn't difficult for us to know which places do their upmost in sanitizing for diners. A benefit is knowing that we are supporting employees and owners who just might not make it financially if everyone shuts down.

We believe that the places we frequent are more sanitary than before this all came down on us.

We wear masks, except for actually eating, and always have a small bottle of sanitizer on the table, which we use frequently.

We are not irresponsible people and careful dining out is a joy for us. In our 80's we refuse to, being as careful as possible, give up those things which make our older years enjoyable.

We totally support anyone who views all this differently.

Ross

Last edited:
We have not been to a restaurant since the virus began. We rarely went out before.
Food is to good at home for much less money.
Nothing better than my wife and myself having dinner at home.

No, and we have several birthdays coming up and that's the time we'd really enjoy it. I am not sure what we will do to celebrate

I don't want anybody sitting in my place. I don’t want our staff , and myself to be touching tables , chairs, napkins, cutlery, etc....I feel bad for the people who have no options..We give all disposable stuff. Take it with you. We don’t allow seating on our deck outside either. In Ontario, restaurants have to take names and phone numbers of sit down diners so they can track them incase of an infection. If we had somebody track back to our place, we’d have to go and get tested and close until the results come back. Not worth the risk. We’ll just stay take out..

Last edited:
We've dined in a restaurant just once. We went to our old Sunday brunch haunt to celebrate Himself's successful cataract surgery. Since we knew how clean they kept it in the Before Times, we felt comfortable there. Otherwise, it's just been take out from the few restaurants we have done business with in the past to help them out. We've probably eaten more restaurant food in the past seven months than we did in the previous seven years!
I feel for all these restaurant owners during this pandemic, but I really never went to them or ordered anything, so this didn't change much for me! (The last time I went out to a restaurant was in April of last year, when a large group of us got together in one, after my sister passed away!). And I didn't understand why people have such an obsession with going to restaurants, that they are willing to risk their lives to go into them the first night they loosened the restrictions. I realize that many simply don't like to cook, but is their dislike for cooking this strong?

And what is this crap about them setting up "greenhouses" with heaters in them out in the streets, now that it's getting colder? Isn't that still inside???
I think the main concern with eating in a restaurant is the efficiency of the location's HV/AC system. If the people in igloo are the same people you live with, you're already living in the same petri dish, as Himself puts it.

We eat out all the time, but outside.

We have just started occasionally eating inside but only at places we know are taking serious precautions.

Boston is a pretty rigorous mask and distance place, especially in restaurants unless you are eating.

Cape Cod is the same. Also, the Cape has been largely spared from COVID.

The only restaurants around here that had dishes to die for closed years ago. The rest are just greasy spoons, and offer little that can't be had better at home.

My recent observations are that there are way too many folks that feel they are not at any serious risk from Covid, and even if that is the case, it doesn't explain their willingness to infect others that may have issues with it. As a country, we have F'd this up big time.

So no, I've not been out to restaurants. While I feel for them, it ain't the thing to do right now... and I can make better at home.

Is Anybody Eating Out These Days?

raised hand emoji.jpg

We've done take-out, patio dining, as well of late, dine-in at our regular joints.
We live in a pretty small town, everyone's "masked up", socially distanced, sanitizing everything, AND we don't eat out often anyways.
We know the owners, cooks and servers, so once we felt comfortable going out and about, we did.
The "numbers" here have been very low.
We stay away from the city and all of the tourist and crowds.
There have been MANY restaurants and bars that have had to shutter their doors already and I feel for them, but it's turned into the survival of the fittest :(

Very seldom eat out and therefore am forced to cook my own steaks and it is going well. Always feared ruining a good steak but fear no more.

Indoor/Outdoor - Not yet.
I only do delivery/curbside/take out.

Last edited:
We're doing almost only delivery. We did take out once so far. No eating out yet. Maybe we'll try eating out on a terrasse at a resto come spring and nice weather.

Since my first post we ate out back home again, dining inside at our well loved Irish pub. On our current trip, we ate in our hotel rooms the first two nights, then spent an evening with our niece at her home.

Here in FL, outdoor dining is the norm. We've eaten on socially distanced decks twice so far. We'll enjoy it while we're here, but we'll be back inside our own house for eating once we return.

These greenhouses for eating at a resto actually look like good idea to me. I saw one article that showed the wait staff serving the food from what looked to be wooden pizza peals, so they wouldn't have to get too near the clients.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/world/dutch-restaurant-reopen-greenhouse-trnd/index.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom