Is anything missing from this dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Does this seem like a good salad dressing to put together. Note, it doesn't have vinegar. you don't always have to have a type of vinegar involved do you?

extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice
dill
salt and pepper

You need something acidic. Lemon juice is a great sub for vinegar.

I like a little garlic added.

If you want it to stay emulsified, you might consider adding a spoonful of mustard then add the oil slowly as you whisk or blend the dressing.

Is the mustard for more flavor? Or it helps with the emulisfication?

I have seen references to dressing where it says to add the oil slowly at the end and others say to just put into a blender or whisk all at the same time.

herbs, parmesan, minced garlic, bleu cheese, there's so very many ingredients that could be included in that~ may add a dab of seasalt too, or anchovy/anchovy paste; pepper.pomegranate would be great in there, too. pecan or walnut, toasted & then chopped. minced kalamata/other olives~

Does this seem like a good salad dressing to put together. Note, it doesn't have vinegar. you don't always have to have a type of vinegar involved do you?

extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice
dill
salt and pepper

I'm with Andy on a finely chopped clove of garlic in the salad dressing, but in a pinch, you CAN get by without it. FWIW, you can use any herb that you like in salad dressing.

and no, you don't always need vinegar. In fact, if you want your salad to be harmonious with wine, citrus juice (especially lemon) is a better choice for your acid.

Is the mustard for more flavor? Or it helps with the emulisfication?

I have seen references to dressing where it says to add the oil slowly at the end and others say to just put into a blender or whisk all at the same time.

You could just put everything in a jar and shake it. It would be well blended. But, it wouldn't be emulsified and nicely thick. It won't stick to the salad as well.

The mustard really, really helps with the emulsification.

Back
Top Bottom