Is it just me, or does Costco seem overpriced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This past Sunday Rob wanted to go to Costco. I said "are you sure, it'll be a mad house?" It was just as you described, just like everyone was having a family reunion at Costco! Luckily Rob's really good at saying "EXCUSE ME" loudly with a big smile on his face, he's really great at making his way through crowds.

Not to mention when all the family members gather around the sample tables and stand there eating instead of moving on. :mad:

I will probably have to go on a weekend. I wouldn't, but my DH works weekdays and he wants to go. I can't just send him, I drive and he never learned.

I don't think anyone has mentioned their whole rotisserie chicken for $4.99! That's a pretty good deal and it tastes great.

You can buy a lobster per pound for that price this week at Stop & Shop. Guess where I will be heading on the 5th of the month? We would go shopping sooner, but I am busy with medical appointments. First the foot doctor. No lobsters there.

I used to be a member of BJ's many years ago. It was located just down the street from where I worked. I would stop in and buy butter, and a few other items. But I didn't do that too often. It would be at the same time everyone else was getting out of work and had the same idea. Now there is one about five minutes from me and my daughter belongs to it. So if I am in the mood, I go with her and pick up a few items. I try to not overdo it. She is paying for it. She is very good to me and I don't ever want to take advantage of her.

I like to dress my Coscto hot dogs with just mustard and chopped onions.... I could eat two dogs on a good day.

I love hot dogs with just sauerkraut. If none is available, then just relish.

Only two? I have been known to eat four at one sitting. Of course that is minus the roll on the last two.

Tanget off maybe. Bush's Baked Beans. You know how they're available in small serving cans? I'd like to see small cans of Chili No Beans for chili hot dogs. I end up tossing out half a can of Chili No Beans, just for 3 chili hot dogs. :neutral:

Mmmm...Chili Dogs and Corn Dogs.

Last edited:
Tanget off maybe. Bush's Baked Beans. You know how they're available in small serving cans? I'd like to see small cans of Chili No Beans for chili hot dogs. I end up tossing out half a can of Chili No Beans, just for 3 chili hot dogs. :neutral:

Mmmm...Chili Dogs and Corn Dogs.

I am one of those who buys those small cans of Bush's Beans. Like you said, perfect size. For years I made my own beans. But I am alone now and buy my food accordingly.

My father loved the chili in the can. But not me. I would think the food industry would recognize that there are single folks out that don't need a full can of any food. Too bad they don't sell frozen chili. Then you could cook the exact amount of what you want.

I am one of those who buys those small cans of Bush's Beans. Like you said, perfect size. For years I made my own beans. But I am alone now and buy my food accordingly.

My father loved the chili in the can. But not me. I would think the food industry would recognize that there are single folks out that don't need a full can of any food. Too bad they don't sell frozen chili. Then you could cook the exact amount of what you want.

I don't know if you are a Walmart shopper but, I have seen 4Star chili bricks in the freezer section.. I haven't tried it but it is available there and at other stores... :)

Ross

You can always eat half the can and freeze the rest in a 1-cup container.

As a member of the "single folks" demographic, I'm not sure I see the problem. You can always just refrigerate what you don't eat and have it another day.

Or better yet, make your own chili and freeze it in single portion containers. The flavor is far superior to the canned stuff.

Yes, a serves 12 package can be portioned out to 6 serves 2 packets. Saves me lots of time and money. I wish I had a Costco closer like we used to have in Montana.

A few years ago Costco used Hebrew National hot dogs then changed over to their own brand.

A few years ago Costco used Hebrew National hot dogs then changed over to their own brand.

I only recall having the hot dog once... We always buy the Polish dog... To me, its the best...

I used to buy Hebrew National for home but, switched over to Ball Park about a year ago...

Ross

I agree with Julia about Costco's steaks. I think that the rib eyes are consistently better than what I have found anywhere else outside of a specialty butcher shop. We will buy a few other items that I feel are better quality than what is found in Walmart or any other grocery store within reasonable driving distance. And they do have some good deals on certain items... I know that there is talk on RV forums about their prices on Champion inverter generators.

The only question that we will have to answer is whether it's worth the annual feel. We will analyze that when our first year is up next winter.

Yes, a serves 12 package can be portioned out to 6 serves 2 packets. Saves me lots of time and money. I wish I had a Costco closer like we used to have in Montana.

I see that your closest is the same as ours in Ft. Collins. We usually go to one of the Denver locations, simply because we do go there several times a year for other reasons.

Last edited:
RP, ask at the store. They have a record of all your purchases and they are usually happy to help you figure out if it was worthwhile.

I see that your closest is the same as ours in Ft. Collins. We usually go to one of the Denver locations, simply because we do go there several times a year for other reasons.

Yes, and that is too far for a one day trip with Shrek, we end up spending the night which wipes out our savings from shopping at Costco.

Back in the 90's, Price Club back then, practically every item in the store, the savings were enormous shopping at these warehouses as they didn't have much competition. No other merchant matched their prices.

Back
Top Bottom