Is it just me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllRicksStuff

Assistant Cook
Do you find that store bought pie crusts are too salty? I've tried Pillsbury and the no-name brands and all are way too salty tasting to me. My mother made the best flaky pie crust on the planet and I never remember tasting any salt in it. I just want to taste the browned 'melt-in-your-mouth' pie crust, not salt. :yum:

AllRicksStuff, it's not just you.
Each of us has a different tendency to use salt and scientifically our taste buds regrow in 11 days. People that traditionally use more salt, expect, and use more salt, people that traditionally use less salt, are very sensitive to it. That can change over time (11 days).

I have never eaten much campbell's soup since I was a kid. Then in my 40's I worked for a company and was given cases of the stuff. I couldn't tolerate the salt in it while my kids didn't even notice how salty it was. Now we've downshifted 3 years ago to even LESS salt with no processed foods. It's now very noticeable, anything with salt in it or miso (has salt) or soy sauce (has salt) in it.

Since I insist on using whole wheat pastry flour for pie crusts, I found great comfort when Chef June, remember her?, said it is impossible to make pie crusts with ww pastry flour. So I gave up and was delighted to find a very good pie crust available locally. It is gluten free and tastes and bakes wonderfully.

https://www.amazon.com/Wholly-Whole...00FTC35GU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I insist on wholegrain for my baking as well. I make pie crusts with wholewheat pastry flour. They are not as sturdy as white flour crusts, but they do work. They are harder to get into the pan without tearing. For sweet pies, I like the dough recipe for this Danish pear tart. I also have a recipe for wholewheat, savoury pie crust that I use for tourtière. The Danish crust is easier to work with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom