Is it possible to cook chicken on grill pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Senior Cook
And grill pan, only?

I noticed all the recipes for chicken legs on a grill pan, suggest you either start or finish the cooking process in the oven (or an outdoor grill).

I try to stay away from the oven, because my roommates have about 10 or 12 pots and pans in it, and I'd have to clear it out and then put it back in. Plus, oven = too much time.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the oven, but so far, I haven't really come across a chicken leg recipe that relies solely on a grill pan. There was one that did, but some of the comments suggested that they finished it off in the oven.

I have a horrible tendency to opt for fastfood, and I just really like the idea of coming home from work or working out, tossing some marinated legs on the grill pan, and eating it after a few short minutes, as opposed to waiting an hour for it to finish in the oven.

But is it possible, without completely burning and ruining the chicken?

Last edited:
And grill pan, only?

I noticed all the recipes for chicken legs on a grill pan, suggest you either start or finish the cooking process in the oven (or an outdoor grill).

I try to stay away from the oven, because my roommates have about 10 or 12 pots and pans in it, and I'd have to clear it out and then put it back in. Plus, oven = too much time.

If possible, I'd like to avoid the oven, but so far, I haven't really come across a chicken leg recipe that relies solely on a grill pan. There was one that did, but some of the comments suggested that they finished it off in the oven.

I have a horrible tendency to opt for fastfood, and I just really like the idea of coming home from work or working out, tossing some marinated legs on the grill pan, and eating it after a few short minutes, as opposed to waiting an hour for it to finish in the oven.

But is it possible, without completely burning and ruining the chicken?

Where I come from, you could cook chicken on a car's bonnet in midsummer. :LOL:

Whatever you decide for your recipe, chicken first browned in a pan brings out its flavour. What I like are pans you can put straight into the oven from the top of the stove. A good one is Le Creuset, though it is heavy.

Bearing in mind you should not cremate your chicken, get the pan hot until you see a light heat haze, then carefully lay your pieces down into the oil. It will only take a minute or so to brown the meat; lower the fire to about medium heat, so the chicken doesn't dry out.

"Fast food" to me is food cooked fast in a blazingly busy, commercial kitchen. Anything else is just plain genteel. ;)

After searing grill marks onto the chicken, turn the heat down and cover the pan as tightly as possible and continue to cook it slowly until the interior is done.

Where I come from, you could cook chicken on a car's bonnet in midsummer. :LOL:

Whatever you decide for your recipe, chicken first browned in a pan brings out its flavour. What I like are pans you can put straight into the oven from the top of the stove. A good one is Le Creuset, though it is heavy.

Bearing in mind you should not cremate your chicken, get the pan hot until you see a light heat haze, then carefully lay your pieces down into the oil. It will only take a minute or so to brown the meat; lower the fire to about medium heat, so the chicken doesn't dry out.

"Fast food" to me is food cooked fast in a blazingly busy, commercial kitchen. Anything else is just plain genteel. ;)

Thanks, my grill pan is Le Creuset, but I was hoping I can avoid the oven. I'll try it out and see what happens...

And you're right about the "heavy" part.

After searing grill marks onto the chicken, turn the heat down and cover the pan as tightly as possible and continue to cook it slowly until the interior is done.

Unfortunately, my grill pan didn't come with a cover.

Unfortunately, my grill pan didn't come with a cover.

Grill pans don't come with covers, you have to improvise. Something as simple as a flat piece of cardboard or plywood covered in foil would work. The objective is to keep heat in the pan so it cooks the chicken (or other foods). If the make shift lid is too light, place a weight (can of soup or something) on it so it covers tightly.

Grill pans don't come with covers, you have to improvise. Something as simple as a flat piece of cardboard or plywood covered in foil would work. The objective is to keep heat in the pan so it cooks the chicken (or other foods). If the make shift lid is too light, place a weight (can of soup or something) on it so it covers tightly.

How would a flat piece of cardboard seal in the heat? Wouldn't it have to be sort of bowl shaped? Oh wait, you're telling me to literally place the cardboard on top of the grill pan.

I've seen some chefs, like Bobby Flay place a tin bowl on top of his grill, but I don't really have any "bowls" that can withstand the heat from the grill pan.

But that cardboard wrapped in foil, sounds simple yet effective. Not sure though, if the sides of my grill pan is high enough... the cardboard might be touching the chicken legs.

I'll definitely take this into consideration. Thanks!

... Not sure though, if the sides of my grill pan is high enough... the cardboard might be touching the chicken legs.

I'll definitely take this into consideration. Thanks!

I didn't consider the height of the legs.

The whole point is to sear the legs over high heat then continue cooking over low heat so the interior cooks properly. This last part should be done in a covered vessel or the oven to contain the heat.

I actually don't care for grill pans because they complicate to cooking process. I'd rather use a cast iron skillet or tri-ply stainless that can be lidded or go into the oven.

Rush, you don't really need a lid. Just use foil, it will be a "tight enough" seal to get it up to required doneness for chicken. If you don't have and instant read thermometer, get one.
Hope this helps.

I didn't consider the height of the legs.

The whole point is to sear the legs over high heat then continue cooking over low heat so the interior cooks properly. This last part should be done in a covered vessel or the oven to contain the heat.

I actually don't care for grill pans because they complicate to cooking process. I'd rather use a cast iron skillet or tri-ply stainless that can be lidded or go into the oven.

Thanks for all the advice!

Rush, you don't really need a lid. Just use foil, it will be a "tight enough" seal to get it up to required doneness for chicken. If you don't have and instant read thermometer, get one.
Hope this helps.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

I have a thermometer, but I don't know if it applies to chicken legs... it's not like a chicken breast or ground patty, where you can stick it into the center and get an accurate reading.

I am assuming that you have a stove to put the grill pan on, right? Do you have an oven as well? I would forget the grill pan if you are doing bone-in chicken and just get a nice carmelization on the skin, then put it into the oven until done. Probably at 360deg for 20-25 mins. You are talking chicken parts, i hope.
Anyway, good luck.

I am assuming that you have a stove to put the grill pan on, right? Do you have an oven as well? I would forget the grill pan if you are doing bone-in chicken and just get a nice carmelization on the skin, then put it into the oven until done. Probably at 360deg for 20-25 mins. You are talking chicken parts, i hope.
Anyway, good luck.

lyndalou......did you carefully read his first post? He wants to avoid the oven.

Rush, read here about instant read thermometers.....they are different from those that you insert for the duration of cooking, like with a roast. You can get a decent one for under 20 bucks, less than a Dr's appointment if you undercook chicken.

Instant Read Thermometer - Peace of Mind When Cooking

Last edited:
That's a great idea. Thanks!

I have a thermometer, but I don't know if it applies to chicken legs... it's not like a chicken breast or ground patty, where you can stick it into the center and get an accurate reading.

Use an instant read thermometer to check the doneness of ANY meat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the drumstick without touching the bone. It should register 180F. Drumsticks (as with all chicken) is safe to eat at 161F but dark meat texture is better at 180F.

Just another thought Rush......simply eliminate the bones, by either boning it yourself, or buy boneless chicken.......Boneless chicken can be done quickly in a grill pan without the need for longer cooking, with outstanding results.

lyndalou......did you carefully read his first post? He wants to avoid the oven.

Rush, read here about instant read thermometers.....they are different from those that you insert for the duration of cooking, like with a roast. You can get a decent one for under 20 bucks, less than a Dr's appointment if you undercook chicken.

Instant Read Thermometer - Peace of Mind When Cooking

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I already have one of those...

I have something similar to this from CDN...

Amazon.com: CDN ProAccurate Quick-Read Waterproof Pocket…

Use an instant read thermometer to check the doneness of ANY meat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the drumstick without touching the bone. It should register 180F. Drumsticks (as with all chicken) is safe to eat at 161F but dark meat texture is better at 180F.

180?!

I thought it was 160... why is dark meat any different?

Just another thought Rush......simply eliminate the bones, by either boning it yourself, or buy boneless chicken.......Boneless chicken can be done quickly in a grill pan without the need for longer cooking, with outstanding results.

I see, thanks.

I read somewhere that bone-in stuff always cook faster, because of the bone...

Hmm. Will boneless thighs qualify?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom