Is it possible to slow cook steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A chuck steak is too tough for me. Same with chuck-eye, which I seldom see cut into a steak -- it's generally a larger hunk.

Anything labeled chuck gets braised. Unless it's a burger.

I rarely see chuck-eye steaks either...At one time they were quite popular here....Cooked like a normal grilling steak (hot & fast) you've got a 50/50 chance of having something you can chew...When you get lucky it's not bad....Not a Rib-eye...but Ok.

Braising is my preferred method for large portions of Chuck too....
A nice large Chuck roast can also be BBQed...using the same methods used for pork Butts..

Have Fun!

I look for Chuck eye with marbling and it is surprisingly tender; a different league to Chuck steak I think.

I rarely see chuck-eye steaks either...At one time they were quite popular here....Cooked like a normal grilling steak (hot & fast) you've got a 50/50 chance of having something you can chew...When you get lucky it's not bad....Not a Rib-eye...but Ok.

Braising is my preferred method for large portions of Chuck too....
A nice large Chuck roast can also be BBQed...using the same methods used for pork Butts..

Have Fun!

I look for Chuck eye with marbling and it is surprisingly tender; a different league to Chuck steak I think.

They are similar, in fact. Both are from the chuck or shoulder part of the cow. Marbling doesn't matter very much when you are starting out with a tougher cut to begin with.

Anything from the chuck section of the cow is going to be tougher than many other cuts.

Like Uncle Bob said, it's a cousin to the rib eye steak which is located farther down toward the animal's midsection. A chuck eye will not be as tender or flavorful as a rib eye.

If you cook it past medium with dry heat it will be dry and tough.

Then how is it that people are able to slow cook steaks (like ribeye, tenderloin) in a smoker/grill and get very tender results without it drying out?

They are not able to COOK those cuts of meat low and slow without turning them into veritable shoe soles. Smoking is a different technique. However, in my area, smoking a Porterhouse is not a common practice. ;)

A chuck steak is too tough for me. Same with chuck-eye, which I seldom see cut into a steak -- it's generally a larger hunk.

Anything labeled chuck gets braised. Unless it's a burger.

Jenny, back in the day, we used to marinate chuck steak overnight and then grill them. They were butterknife tender, but without the marinade, they would have been a bonafide disaster.

Are you saying that only tough meats should be smoked?
Why does cooking tender meats 'low and slow' turn them into shoe soles?

Is it the acid in the marinade that makes the beef tender? Would you suggest soaking the meat in white vinegar the night before cooking?

They are not able to COOK those cuts of meat low and slow without turning them into veritable shoe soles. Smoking is a different technique. However, in my area, smoking a Porterhouse is not a common practice. ;)

Are you saying that only tough meats should be smoked?
Why does cooking tender meats 'low and slow' turn them into shoe soles?

Tough cuts have connective tissue that as it breaks down and releases it's moisture keep the cut moist during the long slow cook. When you are talking a steak, a tender cut, that connective tissue is not present to break down and supply the moisture to the steak. As the steak cooks slowly it dries out from the exterior inward. A sear with a high temp cook is the best way to handle steaks.

Jim

Well this is from their web site.

We slow cook our Prime Rib steak for at least 18 hours, then finish with high temperature searing on a char grill to seal in the maximum flavour for your enjoyment.

So I guess you can but I don't know what method they use.

Well this is from their web site.

We slow cook our Prime Rib steak for at least 18 hours, then finish with high temperature searing on a char grill to seal in the maximum flavour for your enjoyment.

So I guess you can but I don't know what method they use.

Which website is that? I'd like to read up.

Grilling a piece of standing rib roast(it's only Prime Rib if rated Prime), is kinda just silly. . .just order a ribeye/Delmonico.

18hours also seems silly for roasting a rib roast, seriously.

Is this a plug for the restaurant? Bumping a thread from 3 years ago and all . . .

Is it the acid in the marinade that makes the beef tender? Would you suggest soaking the meat in white vinegar the night before cooking?

Yes....acids will make meat tender, if left too long tho the meat then becomes "mushy", fork tender? Yes, but to some inedible. Soaking ANY meats in straight vinegar would end up :sick:. I have "Round" steaks available here in my market too, they are simply eye of round roasts cut into thickish slices, IMO only good for a pepper steak sort of thing.

I have never heard of "slow cooking" a steak. And it seems to me anyway, to be a set-up for diisappontment. The best thing to do with a minimally marbled piece of steak is to either do a hard and fast "sear n serve" as was suggested already. Or buy the whole roast, and do a slow even braise in the oven. If you are cooking just for yourself, leftovers can be made into a filling for tacos, shredded for sammies or chili or diced up and added to a beef soup.

Once in a while when we are away from the house all day I vacpak a rib eye with any herbs and or marinades. I set my old chip fryer to its lowest temp about 55c and leave them in the water for 8 hrs +or- a few hrs. They come out looking like crap but you just mark then on a hot skillet. They do tend to come out any where between rare and medium:yum:

Slow cooking a steak? Said steak ends up "boiling" itself. It may have been a steak before, but it wasn't afterwards.

Last edited:
I suppose you can sous vide a steak to 120ºF for 18 hours then quickly sear it on the grill or in a skillet but there are much easier ways to cook a steak.

18hours also seems silly for roasting a rib roast, seriously.

Not if it is an 18 lb roast and you use the 500F for 5 minutes and 200F for 1 hour/per lb method. I would never slice and sear though. That would over cook for my taste.

I suppose you can sous vide a steak to 120ºF for 18 hours then quickly sear it on the grill or in a skillet but there are much easier ways to cook a steak.
I sorta agree M. I would like to try taking the pouch out of the water bath and "shock" it in iced water then store inthe fridge for a few days to see if it come up rare still when you have marked it.

Back
Top Bottom