Is it really necessary to wash fruits or vegetables with detergent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Organic or artificial pesticides make no difference. Food Poisoning due to bacteria naturally growing on ripe fruit and vegetables after they have been sprayed with pesticides is a good reason to wash fruit and vegetables in water.

Forget the grubby kid picking his nose, people don't wash their hands after taking a dump or worse the dump particles are on the washroom taps. People handle the merchandise and leave the contamination.

Many years ago, I read a report about an analysis of the top brands of peanut butter. Based on that report, I changed brands to the one that contained the "least amount of insects" in the product.

Many years ago, I read a report about an analysis of the top brands of peanut butter. Based on that report, I changed brands to the one that contained the "least amount of insects" in the product.

I did a comparative taste test of peanut butters some years ago. "My" brand since childhood, Skippy, vs. JIF. JIF won hands down. Maybe it's the insect parts that add to the flavor.

BTW, I did a similar comparison with canned chicken broth and switched from the old family favorite to a new brand too.

I did a comparative taste test of peanut butters some years ago. "My" brand since childhood, Skippy, vs. JIF. JIF won hands down. Maybe it's the insect parts that add to the flavor.

BTW, I did a similar comparison with canned chicken broth and switched from the old family favorite to a new brand too.

Actually, it was JIF that has (had?) the fewer insects in it...and my brand since then! I've actually tried some of the "natural" brands over the years, but still prefer JIF.

I use several brands of chicken broth, but more due to size than anything else. I love the 1 cup boxes, since many times I need 1 cup or less.

You still don't have to chuck it out! Here's a recipe to make it safe.

Spread extra thick peanut butter on toast.
Run tap water til very hot.
Drizzle a light coat of liquid dish soap at the top of the toast that is being held on a slant.
Turn water full blast - if you have a shower attachment on the tap, even better - aim the blast at the top of the toast and rinse thoroughly.
Pat dry with kitchen towels.
Eat and enjoy.

jennyemma - I really feel for you, what a nasty experience!

and the spelling is almost right - diarrhea - just got the h in the wrong place and yes, I have to look it up everytime!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom