Is Microwave Cooking Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookinworld

Assistant Cook
Microwave ovens is very convenient, isn't it? I think it is one of revolutionary cooking technology. I've used it for many years without thinking of food safety. Recently, I heard a disturbing news about microwave saying that cooking in microwave oven is not safe. Well.. it may be right. All chemicals in the food have 3-D stereotype structures. Without too much thinking, thoes structures can be altered by high energy to become a carcinogen. Scary, isn't it?

After more research, I will update, but please leave your note if you know something about food safety of microwave. Thanks.

I think some one is trying to make something out of nothing.

I firmly believe microwave cooking is 100% safe.

Microwaves excite water molecules and the friction of increased movement generates heat. It's not black magic.

No reliable source says otherwise.

It is completely safe. They have been used by millions of people for decades. If there issues we would have seen them by now. The source you got your information from is fear mongering, most likely because they have something to gain from people not using microwaves.

There are two issues concerning normal microwave oven safety:

1. Heating liquids to high temperatures in glass containers can cause an eruption of higher-than-boiling-temperature resulting in the potential for serious burns. Here is a safety page on microwave oven superheating:

Superheating and microwave ovens

2. Certain plastics will leech carcinogens into food when directly heated by a microwave oven. I do not have a list of the type of plastics that should be avoided, except to say that certified "microwave safe" plastics are exempt. Personally, I use glass or ceramic.

1. Heating liquids to high temperatures in glass containers can cause an eruption of higher-than-boiling-temperature resulting in the potential for serious burns. Here is a safety page on microwave oven superheating:

Superheating and microwave ovens

2. Certain plastics will leech carcinogens into food when directly heated by a microwave oven. I do not have a list of the type of plastics that should be avoided, except to say that certified "microwave safe" plastics are exempt. Personally, I use glass or ceramic.
I do not see these as microwave issues personally as both can be issues outside of the microwave.

Save microwave cooking, like any kind of safe cooking, is dependent on the cook using common sense. Microwave safe materials must be used otherwise of course there could be risk. The same could be said for any other type of cooking. A stove top would not be considered an unsafe way to cook food, but if you put a cardboard container (something you could heat in the microwave) on the stove top then you will have problems.

Placing a styrofoam cup or bowl into a microwave oven is a killer. As you may know already, it releases environmental hormon.

I am not sure if that is true or not, but again it is not an issue with the microwave. It is an issue with the Styrofoam (if it is even true).

Styrofoam is bad from production to landfill in terms of environment. I've got to agree with GB on this one. Today's microwaves are as safe to use as your conventional oven or stove. Sensible precautions should be taken just as with the stove. You don't put Pyrex on an element, you don't put plastic in the microwave.

I do not see these as microwave issues personally as both can be issues outside of the microwave.

... is dependent on the cook using common sense....

Unfortunately, common sense doesn't seem to be common any longer. If it was, we wouldn't see lawsuits about the temperature of fast food take-out coffee being too hot, nor judges issuing significant awards! Personally, when it comes to dealing with the public, I take nothing for granted.

Unfortunately, common sense doesn't seem to be common any longer. If it was, we wouldn't see lawsuits about the temperature of fast food take-out coffee being too hot, nor judges issuing significant awards! Personally, when it comes to dealing with the public, I take nothing for granted.
While that is painfully true, my responses have been aimed at answering the OP's question of "Is microwave cooking safe". All the things you have said are right on, but they do not mean that microwave cooking is unsafe.

Placing a Styrofoam cup or bowl into a microwave oven is a killer. As you may know already, it releases environmental hormon.

Do you mean because of chlorofluorocarbons? If so then your information is incorrect. It is perfectly safe to use it in microwaves.
I guess I should expound upon that. That is why chlorofluorocarbons were invented in late 20's or early 30's. They were safer to use than what was out there at the time.

1. Heating liquids to high temperatures in glass containers can cause an eruption of higher-than-boiling-temperature resulting in the potential for serious burns.
I learned this the hard way in the seventies (I was a teen) we had one that we bought used from a friend the worked for the Extension Service. I boiled one cup of water in a brand new Pyrex measuring cup to see how long it would take. I stopped it just after it started to bubble and when I took it out it erupted and sloshed over my hand. I did not make that mistake again.

Here is some intriguing argument:

Re-heating breast milk in the microwave, even on low, can destroy some very important disease-fighting capabilities. Microwaves destroy half of the vitamin B-12 in dairy foods and meat in as little as six minutes.

In the 1950s, in Russia, researchers found serious problems with those who ate microwaved foods. These complications included stomach and intestinal cancers, a gradual breakdown of the digestive and excretory systems, and a degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues. This research also showed that heating milk and cereal grains in the microwave turned some of their amino acids into carcinogens. Thawing frozen fruits turned their glucoside into carcinogenic substances.

Here is some intriguing argument:

Re-heating breast milk in the microwave, even on low, can destroy some very important disease-fighting capabilities. Microwaves destroy half of the vitamin B-12 in dairy foods and meat in as little as six minutes.
Even if that is true how does that make it unsafe? it doesn't.

In the 1950s, in Russia, researchers found serious problems with those who ate microwaved foods. These complications included stomach and intestinal cancers, a gradual breakdown of the digestive and excretory systems, and a degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues. This research also showed that heating milk and cereal grains in the microwave turned some of their amino acids into carcinogens. Thawing frozen fruits turned their glucoside into carcinogenic substances.
What is your source?

It's the prize in their Cracker Jack box.

I think the thing that shot that last theory was that it was done in the 50's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom