Is my bread machine sick, or is it dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I decided to make a loaf of sandwich bread today. My bread machine had other thoughts. With the bread pan in the chamber, the Setting on "Dough", and the push of the start button - the hub in the base of the unit was trying to turn the dough blade in the bread pan, but the drive shaft would not cooperate. With the machine on, but the bread pan out, the hub in the bottom of the machine base turns just fine. So that eliminates a problem with the motor/belt/drive thingy.

Himself tried to get the drive shaft out of the pan, but he wasn't able to even remove (or turn) the nut on the underside of the pan that nests in the base of the unit. Everything is frozen.

I don't bake the bread in the bread machine, just made dough. When I take the dough from the bread pan I immediately remove the paddle, put enough hot soapy water in the pan to come to the top of the shaft, and then make sure I've cleaned the seam in the bottom of the pan after the water cools. I don't immerse the entire pan. Might this be the problem? Could there be a build-up of crud between the interior bottom of the pan going down the drive shaft? There is no visible crud either from the inside of the pan or the bottom - what little can be seen with the nut on the bottom still in place. Maybe the pasty dough has leaked just enough sludge down the shaft to glue it in place? I've read a few comments on self-help repair sites that suggest hot soapy water in the pan itself, and immerse the entire pan in a larger pan of hot water to loosen things up. Does this sound right? I'm appealing to people I trust. If we can't get this thing up and running again, I should be able to find a replacement easier than when my machine acted up at the beginning of the pandemic and bread machines were as scarce as hairs on a bald man.

On the plus side, I guess I'll start my first attempt at No-Knead Bread tonight. I found a recipe for just one loaf, since that's all I want to make...and I don't have room in the fridge for a tub of dough (unless it's all in $100 bills ;)).

if the spindle in the bread pan insert will not turn, there is only one solution:

get the nut off, cleanup the spindle & hole.

Depending on the manufacturer of your bread machine, you can buy a replacement bread pan. I paid less than 50 bucks for my Cuisinart pan. Check your manufacturer's web site. Of course, the more expensive the machine, the more expensive the pan.

Last edited:
dc, Himself tried doing that yesterday. Nothing budged, even when taking a wrench to the fittings. All he was able to remove was a small clip at the bottom of the post that holds the wingnut type fitting in place. I need a way to dissolve the crud that's glued everything together. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

if you can post a pix, that could help folks id potential solutions 'from experience' . . .

Here you go. The only part that Himself could move was that little c-shaped clip that's wrapped around the post.

IMG_20220221_160025728_HDR.jpgIMG_20220221_160112734_HDR.jpg

okay.... the circlip thingie holds the drive wing onto the shaft.
very unlike there's any threads/etc holding the drive wing - it's likely just a slip-on fit.

if it's glued on by dried up crud, you'll need a gear puller aka jaw puller to "lift" it off the shaft.
looks like:
2022-02-21_16h49_19.png

these things are like mouse traps - thousands of designs/types have been invented.

after that the next 'problem' is to get the brass center shaft out - cleaned up, some light tapping should push it through the bottom.

if you have anyone in your circle who does 'mechanical stuff' they likely have one in their tool chest.
failing that, take the bread pan to an auto supply store - so they can see the size of the problem - and ask for some help.
if the auto place rents tools, they may 'fix it' as you watch.

if you have a local friendly auto repair shop, they'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
We have a long-time mechanic who would probably take care of it. Keeping cars forever (Himself's is a 2008) puts you on good footing with service technicians. I think I'll try soaking it inside and out, though, since I don't have to go to the mechanic for about another 500 miles.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sounds complicated. I would be tempted to follow SLoB's advice and just buy a new one. If you get the old one fixed down the line, bonus! 2 pans!

Ginny, I was afraid I needed a new machine early in the pandemic. This old one (has to be 30, but lightly used the first 15 or so) wouldn't let me select which function - I only use the dough setting these days. Himself resolved that problem. I think I'll wait a bit before I spring for a new one. Doesn't mean I can't start looking, though.

Beefy's advice, especially the C clamp and gear puller, are spot on.

Unless the motor is seized (a short in the windings), the impeller is gunked up and can be freed and lubricated.

Ginny, I was afraid I needed a new machine early in the pandemic. This old one (has to be 30, but lightly used the first 15 or so) wouldn't let me select which function - I only use the dough setting these days. Himself resolved that problem. I think I'll wait a bit before I spring for a new one. Doesn't mean I can't start looking, though.

Not to worry. Just go to Goodwill or a similar outlet and look there. Our local Goodwill always has several quality bread machines for as little as $5 USD. One of the ones I have (have 2) was purchased there and has been going strong for many years.

As you I, too, only use the dough function. My original bread machine, bought at a commercial discount store more than 30 years ago has yet to be used for more than the dough cycle. So far, so good.

Good luck.

Katie, the thrift stores near us are nowhere near as good as the ones by you. I scan the shelves each time I drop stuff off. Most of it looks like stuff I pitch inside of donating. Now thrift stores in OH and FL have been fertile ground for me in the past. But thanks for the suggestion.

Katie, the thrift stores near us are nowhere near as good as the ones by you. I scan the shelves each time I drop stuff off. Most of it looks like stuff I pitch inside of donating. Now thrift stores in OH and FL have been fertile ground for me in the past. But thanks for the suggestion.

Let me know. They are a dime a dozen here. I could send you one.

Back
Top Bottom