Is my cutting board dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we really do use glass because they wash so nicely. For the record, I replace knives pretty often too.

Sara are your other boards plastic or wood?

I did have a glass board for a while but disliked using it. The noise, plus I imagine it was like cutting on stone and dulling my kknives. I would serve tidbits on it, but that was about it.

How many here have glass boards?

Sara are your other boards plastic or wood?

I did have a glass board for a while but disliked using it. The noise, plus I imagine it was like cutting on stone and dulling my kknives. I would serve tidbits on it, but that was about it.

How many here have glass boards?
I have never owned a glass cutting board and I don't recommend them. They have glass cutting boards at the Master Gardener/Cooperative Extension office and I hate using them. They ruin knives and they're slippery, which to me means dangerous. Don't try to cut up something that's already wet, like fruit.

The only place I have ever seen a glass cutting board was in my Mother's kitchen! But then, she had some knives that were already so dull, you couldn't cut yourself with them - things she got before I was born, but wouldn't get rid of (she had some sharp knives I gave her, that I told her NEVER to use on that board). That glass board actually had one textured side, and one smooth. I think they were selling them at one time, playing on people's phobias about cleanliness, saying that the wood and plastic could never get as clean. If people are that worried about cleanliness, there are probably a lot of places to look, besides chopping boards!

I remember when we were cleaning out Mom's kitchen, that was one of those things I wouldn't even give to anyone!

Last edited:
Well, I certainly didn't buy mine! It was a thank you gift from someone had done a favour. Don't think I ever used it to cut anything.
Mostly put cheese and crackers on it. It was textured on one side and a picture of horses on the other side facing up. There were also little rubber feet on the bottom. It was great for the horsey gang.

But no... as I said, I never cut on it. Does cheese count cutting with a butter knife? LOL

Could be mold or some bacteria or fungus. Since it's plastic soak it in detergent and quite a bit of bleach. We also were able if it's getting so scratched up that it's letting germs in there it might be time to get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom