Is my talapia spoiled Can I get sick if eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrinemanning

Assistant Cook
I just purchased $18 worth of talapia and stored it in the fridge for 4 days. When I went to open the package to put it into freezer bags it smelled very fishy (different from past times). Is it spoiled/toxic? Is it salvageable? What can it do to my body if still eaten?

If it is spoiled it can make you very ill. Fish should not smell fishy. "When in doubt, throw it out."

What a shame!! That's a lot of money to throw out but it's sure better than being sick!! The nasty smell is because it has begun to decay. ICK
Fish should always be cooked or frozen the day you buy it. Fish should never smell fishy, but rather like the fresh smell of the sea.

Last edited:
If it is smelling fishy, it is over the hill. Fish needs to be kept on ice or frozen, as you see it in the market.

gosh, with fish you have to be carefull, becasue it smells fishy instead of smelling simply bad.
Reminds me of funny (NOT) story. I just killed 45 pounds of fish. I had a whole box of fish that I left in the fridge for a week, and my house still stinks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom