Is shopping at an oriental grocery store risky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I noticed many imported items in cans and jars when shopping at a local Chinese grocery store and I wonder how safe their products are. I don't know their laws etc. Any ideas?

If the store is in the USA, they have to follow US laws. I've never had an issue with Asian markets or their products.

If the store is in the USA, they have to follow US laws. I've never had an issue with Asian markets or their products.

But their products are canned and jared in the orient. Are we over there making sure they follow our safety food laws?

There is a lot more food out there from the orient, besides all of that specifically for those cuisines, so if you are worried about it, you'd better start checking other canned goods, as well as other foods. However, I've been going to Asian markets for decades, and I'm still alive.

Is shopping at an orientalgrocery store risky?

Georgevan, do you eat in Chinese restaurants?

There are lots of Asian (Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Japanese) grocery stores where I live. In my experience, the produce, meat and seafood are much fresher than at the regular grocery store, especially the fish/seafood. The canned products are also just fine.

The Asians I've met are very particular about what they buy, both in terms of quality and price.

I have no reservations at all about buying canned goods packed in Asia.

Can we please just use “Asian” and not “Oriental?”

I agree %100, that being said, here is a pic of the place I shop at. But I did change my word in my response, being sensitive to the language.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 9.53.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 9.53.14 PM.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 101
I thought the concern about the term "oriental" was when it was applied to people as opposed to when it was applied to objects and stores. It just means "Eastern".

Yes, "Oriental" in reference to people is one of those words polite people no longer use.

We shop at Asian markets quite frequently, fresh seafood/produce and imported canned/jarred goods. Prices are generally lower, especially on the canned/jarred stuff, than in "mainstream/regular" groceries. Never had a problem with anything.

Last edited:

The orient is only one part of Asia. India is in Asia also etc. But for your sake I will use asian instead of oriental.
But is using the word oriental derogatory or what?

Back
Top Bottom