Is there a better way to make fried eggs than a frying pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thought is to make a coddled or poached egg using any small container you may have in your kitchen. You could use a teacup, stainless steel measuring cup, etc… just remember to grease it so the egg will release. You can make them plain or fancy as shown in the video.

Wow! 👍👍👍

I really like that guy. I am afraid that it would take me at least a half dozen tries of screwing up this particular method before I got something edible. But who knows, I might try a simplified version one day.

Thank you

I have pans of many sizes. My problem is solved by the Pepin video. I had been cracking the eggs into the hot pan. By the time I cracked the second one, the first one jad spread out. Cracking them into a bowl should make that better.
I use a measuring cup. It has a spout so it pours easier than a bowl.

BTW, have you ever noticed that when you crack open eggs you are going to scramble, the yokes never break?

I had one of those egg poachers with the six little sections for one egg each. I got tire of that. The eggs looked like they had been cooked by a machine, because of the shape. I got tired of that.

When I first clicked on that link, I was so excited that I almost ordered them right then. But then I noticed that they only get a 3.8 rating with only 47% giving it 5 stars. Most decent products on Amazon get at least a 4.5 rating.

So I read a lot of the reviews. As usual on Amazon, many are junk. But a lot of people complained about leaking. Many of my frying pans may not be perfectly flat, which I think would exacerbate the problem.
I kind of press down on the "froacher" as I add the egg and for another moment, so they don't leak...at least, not much.

I had one of those egg poachers with the six little sections for one egg each. I got tire of that. The eggs looked like they had been cooked by a machine, because of the shape. I got tired of that.
Oh-oh. You better be careful. The "machines" are going to take over. There is an AI bot monitoring this forum right now. Now we are both on their watch list.

I kind of press down on the "froacher" as I add the egg and for another moment, so they don't leak...at least, not much.
That sounds like a great idea. After "a moment", the egg whites are probably firm enough that they cannot slip under the ring. It makes me wonder why they don't make the rings a little heavier.

Last edited:
Just remember what I mentioned. There are two parts to an egg white.

Thinner - it's going to run! Just cut it off and discard, many people do.
Thicker - more jelly like and will stay inside.

I don't like gadgets. As a result, I poach eggs in a teflon skillet. It's not that hard.

Fill the skillet ¾ full with water and bring it almost to a simmer.
Meanwhile break each egg into a small glass or dish. I use mise en plas tiny bowls. When the water is hot stir in a splash or two of white vinegar. pour each egg into the water spaced around the pan. If the eggs stick a little, I free them with a silicone spatula. I use a plastic spider to scoop the eggs out to check for doneness and the serve them. Cook the eggs so the whites are the way you like them. The yolks will follow.

When I poach my egg, I have this little tiny pan by Imusa.
Bring my water to a boil,
push the toast down,
slip the egg in,
timer to 5 minutes,
spoon water over egg,
toast pops up,
butter toast, just as I finish buttering the toast,
timer goes off,
egg is ready, (I use my fish spatula to remove egg)

But to fry a single egg I use my cast iron (6") with bacon fat and butter - Over easy with the fish spatula.

If I want my egg poached, I just put it in a 1 cup measuring cup half- filled with water and microwave it for 1 minute. If I want another I dump the old water, add new water (same amount) and add a second egg. Nuke for 1 minute once again.

If I want my egg poached, I just put it in a 1 cup measuring cup half- filled with water and microwave it for 1 minute. If I want another I dump the old water, add new water (same amount) and add a second egg. Nuke for 1 minute once again.
That sounds like it would work. I think you have just seriously increased the chance of eggs Benedict happening at my house. I saved the "recipe" to CMT.

While egg rings and egg cookers with round compartments can be handy tools, it's important to find one that works well and meets your expectations.

If you're looking for a reliable and effective method, I have a suggestion for you: try using a non-stick muffin tin. It might sound unconventional, but it can actually help create more compact fried eggs with neatly contained whites. Here's how you can do it:

1. Preheat your oven to a moderate temperature, around 350°F (175°C).
  2. Lightly grease the compartments of the muffin tin with cooking spray or a small amount of oil.
  3. Crack an egg into each individual compartment of the muffin tin.
  4. Place the muffin tin in the preheated oven and let the eggs cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks reach your desired consistency. Keep an eye on them to avoid overcooking.
  5. Once done, carefully remove the muffin tin from the oven, and using a spatula, gently release the compact fried eggs from the compartments.
By using a muffin tin, you can enjoy more controlled egg shapes and prevent the whites from spreading out too much. Plus, you can easily adjust the number of eggs you make according to your needs.

Like Kathleen, I adore gadgets too. I do have an egg cooker. Although it will poach 3 eggs, it is used mostly for hard boiled eggs, does 6 at a time. I have a tendency to not pay attention doing hard boiled when they are on the stove top, mostly with disastrous results.
I keep saying I'm going to try Pepin's en Cocottes but still haven't gotten around to it. Soon - soon!
Would only use the oven for more than 6 eggs, as I don't like using less than 1/2 a muffin tin filled. Making for a large group would work, especially as they are in the oven for so long, it gives you plenty of time to do toast etc.

How cute! I would have 2 as well. Very handy.
Knob on lid looks out of proportion but I'll be it would be just perfect for grabbing.
But functionality over esthetical (?) looks? ;)

I use the microwave and a disposable plastic plate, in which I mix the eggs as well as cook them

I like fried eggs -- over easy. The frying pan works, but the whites spread out too much. I'd like a way to make more compact fried eggs. . .

. . . This is not a big deal, so I am looking for a simple solution. Otherwise, I'll keep making them in the frying pan.

Thanks for any tips.
Lots of different ways to cook eggs as you can see. However, if you want fried eggs, you need a skillet (pan) and a fat. Trying a smaller skillet is a good idea as is an egg ring. Be sure to butter the inside of the ring so the egg won't stick to it.

Since I'm a huge fan of egg yolk and don't care one way or the other about egg whites, I will often start frying eggs then trim off a good amount of the white and toss it so I end up with a neater finished product. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom