Is there a savory dish use for my Kitchenaid or did I waste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siniquezu

Assistant Cook
I'm not too much of a sweets and baking fan. I bought my KA in hopes for using the attachments that you can buy for it. Besides that, I find that there is basically only dough kneeding that I can use it for. So without the attachments, are there any savory dishes that I can use my KA for? I might end up junking it.... :x

Take a look at the recipe book that was included.

If I remember correctly, my MIL used her KA to do mashed potatoes. They were nice and fluffy. :) Though not sure what else. If I think of something else, I'll post.

You can use your kitchenaid for:

Grinding meat for homemade sausages, hamburger, meatloaf
Slicing ingredients for homemade pickles, apples for apple pies, potatoes for potato dishes
Shredding cabbage for slaws, home made sauerkraut
Shredding cheeses for pizza, quiche, lasgna
Pureeing tomatoes, pumpkin, or apples for home made sauces
Making ice cream
Making pasta
Making salad dressings
Juicing oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit

I could go on and on......

choclatechef said:
You can use your kitchenaid for:

Grinding meat for homemade sausages, hamburger, meatloaf
Slicing ingredients for homemade pickles, apples for apple pies, potatoes for potato dishes
Shredding cabbage for slaws, home made sauerkraut
Shredding cheeses for pizza, quiche, lasgna
Pureeing tomatoes, pumpkin, or apples for home made sauces
Making ice cream
Making pasta
Making salad dressings
Juicing oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit

I could go on and on......

Yeah.....but these require the attachments.....

I am confused, didn't you just say, you bought it so you could use the attachments?

choclatechef said:
I am confused, didn't you just say, you bought it so you could use the attachments?

I bought it for the attachments but is there anything I can do to make the most out of my KA mixer without the attachments?

There are savory cheesecakes like the one somebody posted on recently. Like I said earlier, you can make salad dressings, mayonnaise, and other sauces.

Pizza doughs, pasta doughs, and sauces of various types.

I'm confused too. You bought a mixer - albeit a powerful and versatile one. The basic attachments that come with any KA are the paddle, the wire whip and the dough hook.

The paddle is the most versatile. You use it to mix or mash ingredients. Mashed potatos were an example - another would be any cooked hard squash or any root vegetable. Shepards pie uses mashed potato as a topping.

The paddle would be good for spreads that use a soft cheese as the base (cream cheese, ricotta, etc). You could also use it for quick breads, which are fun and easy to make. You can use it to make pastry and there are lots of savory dishes like pot pies, quiches, etc. that use pastry. Another suggestion are quenelles or gnocchi.

The wire whip is for mayonnaise, whipping egg whites, whipped cream, etc. Whipped egg whites are used in various savory dishes - souffles come to mind.

Lastly, the dough hook - for any dough that needs kneading - yeast rising bread, pasta, pizza dough, wonton dough, etc.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

PS If you decide to junk that KA, PM me! I'll take it :!: :D

I have to admit that I am among those here that are a little confused over the problem. If you bought your KA with the intended purpose of using the additionally available attachments ... I don't see that it's the fault of the KA that it is what it is without them ... it's just a stand mixer!

As a mixer, if you take away it's ability knead dough ... then there isn't much you could do with it that you couldn't do with a hand mixer. What savory dish would you prepare that you would need to break out a hand mixer???

I'm with sub - if you're going to toss it let us know ... I'll swap you a hand mixer and pay S&H. :)

I like to use it for mixing meatloaf/meatballs. I also find it great for mixing ground pork and seasonings for sausage. As much as I used to enjoy diving in and mixing this stuff with my hands, the KA makes the job a lot easier with much less mess.

scott123 said:
I like to use it for mixing meatloaf/meatballs. I also find it great for mixing ground pork and seasonings for sausage. As much as I used to enjoy diving in and mixing this stuff with my hands, the KA makes the job a lot easier with much less mess.

Thank you! That is the type of response I was looking for.

I'm also not big on sweets and baking, but on the occasions I do them it is a great machine to have. It's worth it to me just for whipping egg whites and whipping cream. If you do decide you don't want it, you won't have any trouble selling it.

I might use my KA for mixing sausage ... but I probably wouldn't for meatloaf or meatballs because it could make them too dense ... but, that's my personal preference.

Michael in FtW said:
I might use my KA for mixing sausage ... but I probably wouldn't for meatloaf or meatballs because it could make them too dense ... but, that's my personal preference.

You are so right, if you are not careful they can turn into meat rocks. I know -- been there, done that!

Michael in FtW said:

Dense meatloaf, imo, has very little to do with processing. Primarilly it relates to two ingredients - not enough water or not enough fat. With enough of both, you have anything but dense. The choice of breadcrumbs impacts density as well.

If anything, the KA mixes some air into my meatloaf mixtures, giving me a fluffier end result. I actually prefer denser meatloaf, but because of the fat content of my beef (80/20) and the amount of liquid my onions give off, my meatloaf is almost always a little too tender for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom