ISO advice using old cake mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scandi

Assistant Cook
I have a couple of old cake mixes that I found back in the cupboard. Can I use them and add fresh baking soda or baking powder so they will rise right?

Any one have an experience? I used one and it was tasty but flat.:(

I think you answered your own question!;) You saw the results. I doubt adding stuff will change them much. Welcome though!:)

Craig

Thanks for the idea, and the recipe.
The first box I tried I didn't realize that it was too old, so I didn't add anything. But since I don't bake much, I didn't know for sure if adding something would work. I cook, and can innovate, but I am not much of a practiced baker. I'd like to learn though.

Anyone here know if one can bake without wheat- like oatmeal bread?

Thanks for the welcomes. I love to cook, but have never baked much, and I'd like to learn more about using herbs and spices, so I'm happy to have found you who love fixing food, and hope to learn much from you.

Welcome. My batchlor son makes cake mix cookies all the time. Also...I make some cookies with only oats and no flour. If you google monster cookies, some of them are w/o flour. Also if you google gluten free oatmeal bread there are some recipes that sound pretty good. They use rice flour though. Hope that helps.

Great place!

It's exciting to see a place where so many are helpful, friendly, and informational. Thanks for all of you who have answered with such great links, information, and a welcoming spirit. It is greatly appreciated. thanks.:)

If you want to bake without wheat try googling gluten free recipes. At allrecipes.com there is an explaination of how to use alternative flours. I make cake mix cookies all of the time. They are generally nice soft cookies. You can use any cake mix. Hope they turn out well.

Use them to make cookies. Here is a recipe I used. They taste great. They don't rise much so I would think old cake mixes would do okay. I've used yellow and chocolate mixes so I would think any flavor cake mix would work.
Gooey Butter Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I'm not sure it was exactly the same recipe (recipe is at home), but I tried this at Christmas w/ chocolate cake mix and it was AWESOME!

This is Craig's wife, Karen. He's not home to post but I was just flipping thru and saw this post/question. Be careful about using old baking mixes. I read something once that some kind of toxic mold can grow in them after they get past their expiration date. I vaguely remember the article or post saying it tasted, smelled and/or looked not quite right but the woman went ahead and used it and made her son really sick - as in needing to go to the hospital sick.

Karen

Last edited:
This is Craig's wife, Karen. He's not home to post but I was just flipping thru and saw this post/question. Be careful about using old baking mixes. I read something once that some kind of toxic mold can grow in them after they get past their expiration date. I vaguely remember the article or post saying it tasted, smelled and/or looked not quite right but the woman went ahead and used it and made her son really sick - as in needing to go to the hospital sick.

Karen
You know I read something too...But the one I read was about pancake mix. It sounded pretty bad, but I didn't pay too much attention because we usually use up these things pretty quickly. Maybe we need to google it and see what is what.:neutral:

Karen again. Actually I did Google it after I posted. It was in a Dear Abby column about the pancake mix but there was also another incident reported with brownie mix and the person died. Both had a food and/or mold allergy history. I'd still be careful though, you don't always know what you are allergic to until after you've had the reaction and, for a couple dollars wasted on an old mix, getting sick or making somebody else sick just isn't worth it.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom