ISO beef heart recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
okay, I've been pushing around a beef heart in the freezer for too long now. Anyone have a tasty recipe that could maybe disquise the texture? I know it is the texture that has me hesitant to cook the beast. Any pressure cooker, slow cooker, grilled or oven recipes to suggest?:huh:

Hiya, beth -
this is how a friend tricked me into eating beef heart one time. Chop it up into eeensy beensy pieces and use it in a stir fry.

Beef heart is good although I know of no place to find it today. But it has a nice flavor.

Certainly for stew type meals, including chili or even stuff like sloppy joe's they give a better flavor than ground meat in my opinion.

Sure there are many other recipes. But I have not seen beef heart is so many years I cannot get excited.

I was liking the minced idea, even thinking of adding sausage seasonings and using it for pizza topping, but Connie that recipe looks great. It calls for one cup of water and then simmer for 4 hours. Wouldn't the water evaporate away? It does not say to cover the meat, but do you think a person should cover it for 4 hours of simmering??
thanks Charlie, I'll look up zharkoe!

be still my heart, lol

my ex motherinlaw taught me how to fry it, much like chicken fried steak. guess she could get it cheaply during the war. she fed boarders and they all loved it.

it is necessary to slice it fairly thin. kinda tastes like round steak to me. my husband was the fussest eater on the planet and he loved it. dredge in flour and fry very quickly.

babe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We boil it in water... add salt pepper celery onions and garlic.

Slice thin and snack on it. WONDERFUL.

That reminds me ...we have lamb heart or two that we need to eat up.

It calls for one cup of water and then simmer for 4 hours. Wouldn't the water evaporate away? It does not say to cover the meat, but do you think a person should cover it for 4 hours of simmering??

I definately think you should cover it, Beth, and you'll probably have to add more water at some point as well.

My mom used to make a slow-cooker stuffed heart. I don't have the recipe, but it was basically mushrooms and onions inside. I loved it (this as a kid too), but once my dad got sick after eating it, probably b/c of a stomach bug, but was turned off from it ever since. :(

well, I am proud of myself, we ate that whole darn thing. There was only one time where I thought, I just can't do this. What gave me the courage was I had been served it before and it was delicious, if texturally awkward. I ended up mincing much of it and using it on 2 pizzas, one stir fry, 2 crepe dishes and one baked ziti.

The meat is georgous, it is pure muscle, no fat, no grain, no nothing, pure meat. And tastes just like beef.

I have not seen heart in the stores for years. If I ran across one, I would probably braise if over a mirapoix with wine after removing the skin. I used to simply simmer it or cook it in a slow cooker, and loved it as a sandwich. I would be careful not to overcook it. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty tender cut of meat.

Wish I could find it. It is pure muscle, no fat. It is a unique organ and is tasty.

I remember as a kid it was an ingredient in canned Sloppy Joe mix and some canned chilis. Heck it may be in there now but they couch it under the term beef by products or some sort of generic term.

Gosh, am I dumb. I always tell folks to talk to the butcher and the idea just occurred to me.

Why don't I do that?

I suppose it is easier to give advice to others than to take it from yourself.

I have not seen any heart meat in the stores for many years. But the butcher should know.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom