ISO Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianne

Assistant Cook
Hi
I imagine you must all make carrot cake a lot..I don't, because I just don't have a good recipe for it, but I'd love to try...Can anyone help me out with a good recipe?

Thanks a million

Dianne

Hi Dianne, welcome to DiscussCooking. Here is a basic, traditional carrot cake. My favorite way to serve this is as a double layer cake. If you do a double layer you will have to make more icing.

Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teasp. baking soda
2 teasp. cinnamon
1 teasp. salt
3 cups grated carrots
4 eggs
1 teasp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Sift dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix in grated carrots, vanilla, and eggs.

Beat, and add oil slowly. Pour into a buttered 8"x12" pan, or two 8" diameter round pans. Bake at 325° for 35-45 minutes or until the center is done.

Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 lb. powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, adding butter and vanilla. Add powdered sugar a little at a time (like 1/4 box at a time) while beating. Frost cake.

You can add nuts to your cake as an option (walnuts or pecans) or add chopped nuts to the middle layer, or top with chopped nuts. (personally, I just want to taste that cream cheese icing!!!)

Does anyone have a traditional recipe for carrot cake

Many, many thanks for this recipe. It is really yummy! And that icing!! Can't wait to try it.

Thanks again

Dianne

Kitchenelf, I would like to make this in a 9x9-inch pan since I don't have the size pan that is called for. So, the cake will be thicker than in the pan size that you used. Obviously, the cake will have to bake longer, but should I reduce the temperature some, also? And as far a length of time to bake do you think 10-15 minutes extra will work?

OK, just having a little chuckle here at seeing this, I just posted a cream cheese icing question and here is almost the identical recipe I used for the cake. (I used brown sugar and there was 2 tsps of baking powder in mine. Freaky)

The icing recipe is nearly the same too, since I made this as a 13x9, think that would be too much icing?

Sierra, I think your 9x9 would be overflowing with this recipe. Did you try it? I would reduce the heat and increase cooking time just as you suggested. Can you make say 2/3 of the recipe? That would fit a 9x9 really well.

TNT Carrot Cake

Try this! It always comes out awesome. It's not my original recipe, but it's totally great. The person I got this recipe from won a blue ribbon for this cake at a state fair.

Cake
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 pinch salt
3 cups grated carrots (fully packed)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Icing
1/4 lb butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1 lb powdered sugar

1.Beat oil and sugar, then add eggs.

2.Add and mix the rest of the cake ingredents in the order given Beat for 1 minute.

3.Pour into 3 9" cake pans.

4.Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

5.Icing: Mix butter and cream cheese together until smooth, then add sugar a little at a time.

6.Beat until smooth.

You can add a pinch of nutmeg if you want for a bit of added spice. Once the cakes are layered and iced, you can decorate with icing, nuts, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Enjoy!!! :chef:

Dianne,
I add crushed pineapple on mine. Simply mix in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pineapple to the recipes posted on here. It's delicious with the carrots.

Hey Cherry, you posted the same recipe that kitchenelf did. Teeheehee! Its also the same one I use. Must be a popular recipe huh?

Dina, thanks for the icing advice.

Whoa~
I have the same recipe too (mom made it for a long time too)
but we always add ½ c. chopped pecans to that recipe.

and here's my frosting (as I just posted for Alix earlier)

Frosting:
1 box powd. sugar
1 cube butter, soft
1 box cream cheese
½ tsp. vanilla
milk, as needed

Beat first 4 ingreds together. Add milk.

LOL! I didn't realize that when I posted it. I fail at internet forums!

I think I skimmed it briefly but since the ingredients were in a different order, I assumed it was a different recipe. And the icing recipe is slightly different too, as the one I have on record doesn't include vanilla extract. Sounds like it would taste good though!

Well sorry about reposting the same exact thing. . . haha. . . at least you know it's a good recipe if more than one person reccommends it. :cool:

Whoa~
I have the same recipe too (mom made it for a long time too)
but we always add ½ c. chopped pecans to that recipe.

and here's my frosting (as I just posted for Alix earlier)

Frosting:
1 box powd. sugar
1 cube butter, soft
1 box cream cheese
½ tsp. vanilla
milk, as needed

Beat first 4 ingreds together. Add milk.

My recipe calls for nuts too, but as the kids have allergies I omit. Um, one question about the icing recipe? We have bags of icing sugar here not boxes...think a bag and a box would be the same amount? A bag is roughly a pound here.

carrot cake

This makes the best carrot cake that I have ate. The secret to making a very moist carrot cake is to not really to grate the carrots but use the side of your four sided grater that has the pointy things sticking up to do the carrots. It makes the carrots like mush. Hope you like it.

Carrot Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups self rising four
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups wesson oil
2 1/2 cups flinely grated carrots
sift dry ing. together. Add oil and 1 egg at a time. fold in carrots. cook in 3 layers at 350 for about 25-30 min. just until done.

Icing for Carrot Cake

1 box confectioners suger
1 8oz crean cheese
1 stick butter (not marg) room temp
1 tsp van
1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream sugar, cream cheese and butter together. Add vanilla and nuts. Frost cooled cake.

Back
Top Bottom