ISO Christmas Breakfast ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make my order (of real grits)

Uncle Bob, I learned how to make real stone ground grits last time I was in VA. I whisked and I whisked until my arm was breaking, but, d%amn they were good!!! Unfortunately, the quantity of cream and butter he made me whisk in makes my head spin. But my brain was saying yes!!!:LOL:

:huh:
Uncle Bob, I learned how to make real stone ground grits last time I was in VA. I whisked and I whisked until my arm was breaking, but, d%amn they were good!!! Unfortunately, the quantity of cream and butter he made me whisk in makes my head spin. But my brain was saying yes!!!:LOL:

I understand you being caught up in the moment:wub:..but later I have no doubts he will know who the "boss" is.:huh: No cream!! Just water and a little butter!!

:LOL:

Ok, I am a northerner and never had grits till I was probably 20, we went to Florida, Mom ordered grits - I tasted them - to me they tasted like cream of wheat without sugar. Mom loved them, sorry I couldn't agree. Wish I did !
me too. being a southern california girl, the closest thing I ever got to grits was mashed potatoes for breakfast with Roy and Dale in Chatsworth. no grits though, just steak/eggs/mashed pots/peas and juice.

I've grown to rather like them though over the years as they're often times at hotels I stay in where there is breakfast, the continental kinds with all the packages of hot cereals etc. the kind with butter/cheese/bacon are pretty dern good I might say

This recipe was originally posted here on DC by Middie. It would be good with cinnamon/sugar toast or English muffins served with a variety of jams. Some fresh fruit on the side would be nice, also. Make sure that you use an ovenproof pan. I use a castiron skillet.

Bacon Tomato Frittata

8 eggs, or a carton of egg substitute
1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash (I used the garlic and herb)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I left it out though since the bacon is salty enough)
1 Tablespoon oil (I used canola)
4 sliced green onions
2 large plum tomatoes sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (I like a lot of bacon)
2 Tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is okay to use too), as a garnish

Mix together eggs, seasoning, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté around 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low and poor in the egg mixture. Cook 6-9 minutes gently lifting the cooked edges of the egg so that uncooked egg can flow to the bottom of the pan.

Set your oven on broil and top the frittata with the tomatoes, cheese, and bacon. Broil around 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Serve each piece with sour cream.

Last edited:
For our family Christmas breakfast I always made a Swedish tea ring, which I had rising in the frig overnight and got up early to bake. Along with that was broiled grapefruit(sprinkle the grapefruit halves with a little cinnamon and brown sugar and a marschino cherry, and broil) and a lovely plain cheese omelet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom