ISO Chuck Steak ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any ideas for a wonderful chuck steak say 3/4 in thick? Tried pan frying and ended up with wet beef jerky with onion powder, garlic powder and liquid smoke flavoring. The wife did not complain but I wanna do better tonight?

Grampyjoe, how about cutting it into chunks and making stroganoff or stew?

(BTW, moved this to its own thread so you get more answers)

I just treat it like any other steak...

Three minutes per side in a hot cast iron skillet, followed by three minutes in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. It works for me and I like the marbling a good chuck steak provides.

I also chunk it up for chili in place of any ground meat products.

Thinly sliced (cross grain) and roasted in a low temp oven for a little while, it makes a nice beginning to a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.

Thinly sliced (cross grain) and roasted in a low temp oven for a little while, it makes a nice beginning to a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.

Mmmmmm Philly Cheesesteak!!! I know what I'm making for dinner now! Thanks Selkie.

Try basmati (nice nutty flavor). Try using a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Saute / toast in a tsp oil (stir over medium high heat), add water or chicken stock, bring to low boil, cover and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 min. Then dish out. I used to dislike rice the way my parents and grandparents made it- bland and starchy. I think they used too much water and cooked it too long. Probably was Uncle Ben's or Carolina back in the 1950's.

Try basmati (nice nutty flavor). Try using a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Saute / toast in a tsp oil (stir over medium high heat), add water or chicken stock, bring to low boil, cover and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 min. Then dish out. I used to dislike rice the way my parents and grandparents made it- bland and starchy. I think they used too much water and cooked it too long. Probably was Uncle Ben's or Carolina back in the 1950's.

This will be "on the burner tomorrow night". I love the white "sticky" rice you get in asian restaurants but she may be suffering from the same malady.

here's a few ideas
1-
pot roast. i always use chuck roast for my pot roast
put in pan - cut up onions,potatoes, carrots, couple stalks of celery, a garlic cloves or 2 chopped up, salt and pepper, some beef broth, cover bake and uncover last 15 20 min. sometimes i throw in parsnips when i have them.

2-
put in pan - pour barb q sauce all over it bake it and then pull it apart and have bq beef hoagies,

Okay, you guys will love this...searched and found a recipe for hoagie rolls, got out the bread machine, got my water to 110 degrees, added all my wet and dry ingredients. Now for the yeast....ummm its 2 and 1/4 tablespoons to a .25 packet of yeast, ok now how do you measure 1/4 tablespoon?(that's the give-away)double check......uh oh...right, TEASPOONS DUMMY! Can I scoop it out? Nope, cause you get the salt and the sugar, etc. Now, start with 3 cups of flour,.....you get the picture. Anywho, the bread is in the machine rising now and the terrier is "rabidly" screaming at it when it pulses...

Season and sear it in a HOT CI skillet then remove. Add oil and thin sliced onions and saute. Add 1 can French Onion soup and deglaze the pan. Stir in 2 Tblsp tomato paste. Return the steak. Add enough water or broth to bring the liquid 3/4 the way up the steak. Cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 46 - 60 minutes.

When done remove the meat and reduce / thicken the sauce if needed.

Other optional additions: Carrots sliced 1/4" thick on the bias or button mushrooms (halved or quartered depending on the size)

Back
Top Bottom