ISO Cream Cheese recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mush it up with some mayo, chopped black olives, some garlic powder, maybe a little minced onion, and spread on pumpernickel bread with a little more mayo. Nice sandwich.

Last edited:
jpinmaryland said:
I picked up a couple of packages as it was on special. I guess cheesecake is one option but I want to do something else. Any suggestions?

I guess I am into Mediterranean cooking right now so anything in that field would interesting. Middle eastern or greek too. Perhaps a dessert other than cheesecake. Can you stuff like peppers with cream cheese or is that too sweet?

I recently posted a Mediterranean type of no-bake savory cheese cake. It is delicious and you can play with the ingredients. I usually use sun dried tomatoes, capers, kalmata olives and sometimes pimiento stuffed green olives, and of course garlic. (under title No Bake Appetizer Cheesecake.)

umm is it under appetizers? Dont see it in the last 3 pp. I will try under ethnic...is there a way to search the website?

Okay I found it..

Last edited:
Lots of great ones I have.

Three Cheese and Spinach Turnovers
1 tb Olive oil
1/2 c Red onion, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 bn Fresh spinach, stemmed, chopped
2 oz Soft fresh goat cheese
2 oz Soft cheese (cream cheese, gorgonzola, feta, ricotta, etc)
1/3 c Toasted pine nuts
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
1 ts Minced fresh rosemary
1/2 ts Grated lemon peel
Frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375F
1.Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Increase heat to high; add spinach and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes.
2.Drain spinach mixture, pressing on solids to release as much liquid as possible. Transfer to bowl and cool completely.
3.Add goat cheese, soft cheese, pine nuts, parmesan, rosemary and lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4.Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Cut lengthwise into 3 strips. Brush with butter. Place 1 rounded tb filling at 1 end of dough strip. Starting at 1 corner, fold pastry over filling, forming triangle. Repeat, folding up length of pastry like a flag. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling.
5.Transfer turnovers to baking sheet. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until ready to bake. Bake turnovers until golden, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.

Greek Cheese Filling
3/4 lb Feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 lb Fresh parmesan, grated
8 oz Cream cheese, softened
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 c Onion, finely minced
1 lb Fresh spinach, chopped

1.Mix all ingredients together. Use as a filling. Can be served chilled or used as a filling and then baked. Use in turnovers, pasta shells, pastry shells, mushrooms, etc.

Spinach Pesto Cheesecake
Crust:
3/4 c Fine dry breadcrumbs
1/3 c Walnuts, pecans, or pinenuts, ground
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/3 c Butter, melted

Filling:
1 c Spinach, fresh, coarsely chopped
1/3 c Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 c Walnut, pecan, or pine nut pieces
1 clove Garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c Olive oil
24 oz Cream cheese, softened
3 Eggs
1/4 c Milk

Preheat oven to 300F
1.Combine the breadcrumbs, ground nuts, Parmesan cheese, and butter. Press into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Set aside.
2.In a food processor bowl add spinach, Parmesan cheese, nut pieces, garlic, salt and pepper; process until smooth. With processor running, pour oil through food chute in a steady stream until mixture is blended and creamy.
3.Beat cream cheese at high speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk and then spinach mixture, mixing well.
4.Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about an hour or until center is just set but still slightly jiggle. Turn oven off, and let cheesecake rest in the oven with the door ajar for 1 hour. Cool on wire rack. Serve lukewarm or chilled.

Greek Stuffed Squid
1 lb Squid, whole or steaks
Salt
6 tb Olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
1/3 c Raw long-grain white rice
1/2 c Fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c Fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 tb White wine
1/4 c Pine nuts
1/4 c Raisins
Freshly ground pepper
4 Peeled tomatoes
1/3 c White wine

Preheat oven to 300F
1.Wash and clean the squid, rinsing well, and then lightly salting the whole bodies or steaks thoroughly.
2.Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a heavy frying pan, then add the onion and cook, without browning, until transparent.
3.Stir in the rice and saute a few minutes, until golden. Blend in the parsley, mint, 2 tb wine, pine nuts, and raisins, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4.Add enough water to half cover and cook for a few minutes. Using a spoon stuff the whole squid, or place filling on the steaks and the roll tightly. Seal openings or rolled steaks with skewers or toothpicks.
5.Place the stuffed bodies/steaks in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
6.Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, 1/3 cup wine, and a little salt and pepper in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the squid and dribble the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over the top.
7.Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the squid and rice are tender and the sauce has thickened. Serve warm or cold.

Pear Custard Bars
Crust:
1/2 c butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
3/4 c flour
1/4 ts vanilla extract
2/3 c macadamia nuts, chopped

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 ts vanilla extract
1 can pear halves, drained
1/2 ts sugar
1/2 ts ground cinnamon

Lightly grease a 8 in baking pan. Preheat oven to 350F
1.In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in flour and vanilla until combined. Stir in nuts.
2.Press into greased baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
3.Increase heat to 375F. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, egg and vanilla; mix until combined. Pour over crust.
4.Cut pears into 1/8 in thick slices; arrange in a single layer over filling. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pears.
5.Bake at for 27-30 minutes. Center should be just set and still slightly soft; it will become firmer while cooling. Cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting.

Wow! I like the spinach ones...But the squid one, is that supposed to be there? WHere is the cream cheese in that? wow, nice list.

I am going to try the stuffed jalapenos w/ raspberry filling tonight or soon. I have been working on a sort of canape w/ strawberry, cream cheese, and a tangy tamarind/raspberry sauce. it's pretty neat..

No, the squid does not have cream cheese - I threw that in to see if you were paying attention :). Actually I sent that in response to your request for Meditterranean dishes. Let us know if you like any that you try!

add cubes of it it to scrambled eggs before cooking.

add drained baby shrimp, a little heavy or whipping cream, worcestershire, pepper, snipped fresh parsley and place in a dish. sprinkle w/ paprika and use as a dip for crackers or spoon onto sliced, peeled cucumbers.

yeah, the squid recipe looks interesting. I saw Lydia doing it Italian style and she just used basic bread crumbcrumb mixture. Not sure I'm ready to pull those little squid heads out of their body but I do love 'em fried up.

There are some incredible looking recipes in this thread. And my imagination has been spured to come up with others that I may try. But I have to ask just one thing; What does ISO mean? :ermm:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

it means: In Search of...

This commonly used in those personal ads you see: "ISO: sweet young woman who likes older men," etc...

I have taken to making canapes of some sort with the cream cheese, using tamarind/raspberry sauce; sesame crackers, cream cheese, strawberries and sometiems habanero sauce. Even my wife likes them.

Back
Top Bottom