ISO Grill Pan Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
Maybe a bit late for some advice as I ordered one already but ... since I've never owned a grill pan before do any of you have any suggestions for me.

It is cast iron.

Anything at all .. cleaning, what not to cook on it etc.

Can I put it on a BBQ Grill? I know it can go into the oven.

We love most anything beef, pork, chicken or seafood .. any TNT recipes done on the grill pan?

TIA for any help !

I use mine on the grill every now and then.
Get it nice and hot, oil it before cooking,
clean it just like a cast iron skillet.

Thanks GF .. I was hoping to be able to do this .. can't wait to give it a try !

img_1259598_0_c6812fcf82e2fea37e6b734a67282319.jpg

This is what I ordered.

Speaking of grill pans... I'm always interested in them but when I've tried to use it (Lodge cast iron, 10"), it never quite lives up to my expectations. I know I shouldn't be expecting flavor exactly like the grill, but even the appearance I can't quite achieve. For instance, is it even possible to get results like the ones in these photos?

Staub Grill Pan | Williams-Sonoma

Staub Double-Handled Grill Pan  | Williams-Sonoma

Now, I realize that photos are always going to look better than the real thing, but still, those pictures look just like food that I would expect off an outdoor grill, with the crusty/charred bits around the edges and even more so, the browning of the meat that does not touch the grates. When I use a grill pan, I get good, solid grill marks, but the food does not brown all that much in between the lines, so it doesn't come close to real grilling. I preheat for 3 minutes on high heat and then sear for 3 minutes on each side, and usually finish in the oven. Is there something I can do differently to make my grill pan grilled foods look more like real grilled foods?

That's a question for MsMoffet when she stops in. I believe she uses a grill pan for a lot of her meats and I can't speak for the taste, the food itself looks outstanding, like it was cooked on a grill.

My meats look pretty close to those pictured.

I must say though that I wish I had gotten my grill pan with the taller sides - sheesh the messes I can make with that pan !!

But the flavors are really good.

It's a pretty good substitute for the rainy or too cold weather to fire up the grill outside - not quite as good but better than pan frying.

Taller sides would make it easier to flip veggies with a spatula, too.

I love my grill pan! I have no trouble getting my meat to look like the photos, hot hot pan and give the meat time to sear before flipping. I really like to do chicken breasts in the pan, makes them look so pretty. I'll cook carrots in the microwave and finish them in the grill pan so i can get those neat lines. Great for hotdogs too! I frequently have to use the boiled water method to clean the bottom of the pan so that I don't scrap off all of my seasoning. I too wish I had one with a higher edge, sometimes I'll lay down towels so I don't splatter the entire stove top! Be creative and have fun.

I gave away my grill pan.

It doesn't taste grilled as in outdoor just puts marks on whatever you cook.

And cleaning is difficult.

Grill pans...I have a big round one. Wagner 11 3/8" Fat Free Fryer, made in the USA. Some Chinese and Korean cast iron ware has been found to have unacceptable amounts of lead in it. Nice grill pan. Couple ways to clean it, depending on how "clean" you want it. After it is seasoned, of course. Use hot water and a scrub brush, the long handled kind used for dishes. You can even use a brass or steel bristle scrub brush, like you use on your grill. Or, you can put an inch of water in it and bring it to a boil, let it run for a couple minutes, and turn off the burner, dump the pan, quick scrub with your brush and wipe down with an oiled cloth.

I would have taken your rejects gladly. They could have been used as a Panini maker.

Oh, and pizza on the grill effect. Except bake it in the oven.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom