ISO help/advice cooking burger patty (patties)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boskin

Assistant Cook
i want my burger patty

'juicy'
like the youtubers. when they squeeze it before eating it, juices flow out, that are clear ...

when do i kill the stove then (and remove patty from pan)?

so far waht i do is i do a little cut in the middle to see if it's done. if it's clear i would kill stove. problem is, i find that later on this red blood is coming out of it...

but if i put it back to cook more (after seeing the red blood), then later when i do the squeeze test, it's not as moist as youtubers, with juices flowing out. ie cooked for too long

so how to avoid the red blood ? or maybe ignore it? how to know when i should kill the stove basically is what i'm asking

help appreciated. thanks

Well first of all, that's not blood. It's a protein found in red meat called myoglobin. The juices flow out when you cut it open. If you want a juicy burger, don't cut it.

You can learn to tell when a burger is done by pressing it gently with a finger to see how soft it is. Burgers get firmer as they overcook. OR you can buy a digital instant read thermometer and use that to determine doneness. When it's done, let it sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.

As you cook and learn, you will be able to produce consistent results. Practice and take notes.

When forming the burger patties mix and shape lightly.

When cooking the burgers, allow each side to cook undisturbed, that is, don't move them around. Turn only once to cook each side.

Don't press down on them with a spatula while they cook. There is a popular burger shop here that presses really a lot while the burgers are cooking. This releases a lot of steam and flavors into the air-- perhaps hoping to draw in more customers and is a detriment to a juicy finished burger.

Use a less than super lean ground beef. We like a mix that is 85/15. That is 85% lean, 15$ fat for a better flavor.

1) Don´t overcook. Usually a couple of minutes on each side is enough.
2) When you make the patty , don´t make it too thick. An inch thick patty, to use an exaggerated example, will be burned on the outside and raw in the middle.
3) Don´t cut the burger while cooking or squash it with a spatula. Just poke the top with your finger to see if its ready.
4) Leave it to rest a little while before serving.

All good advice here, and here's another tip...

If doing really large and/or thick patties,
thin the patties in the middle, making them sort of like a doughnut. Don't go all the way thru, well, I guess you could if you wanted, but this helps to prevent the "raw in the middle" syndrome.

here's more:
it really does help to have the meat at room temperature, bring them out of the fridge earlier. If too cold the outside is searing while the middle is taking up cooking time trying to come to temperature.

I often cook frozen preformed patties. If still frozen I still sear hot on both sides, then lower the heat a lot and finish cooking, more likely than not, I put a weight on it. They still seem to come out juicy, they probably shouldn't but they do... go figure. (could be because of the frozen centres but ...??)

I form my patties gently to avoid making them tough, and dry. Make a 1/4 to 1/3 lb. ball of room temp 80/2o ground meat (can bee beef, chicken, pork). Start pressing the patty flat by pressing, using a thumb to smooth the edges. After each press, turn the patty a bit, and repeat, smoothing the edges with your thumb. When the patty is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, press the center a little thinner than the edges. As the burger cooks, the protiens contract toward the center, giving you a uniform thickness on the whole pattie. This will allow you to evenly cook the whole patty, with no undercookef center. I season as the patty is cooking. Do not press the patty wirh anything, as that squeeses out juices. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes per side, in a lightly oiled pan. When juices on top of the buger run clear, the buger is done. Me, I like aslightly pink middle. Others in the family want well done.
To avoid overcooking when topping with cheese,, place thin sliced cheese of choice on top about 20 seconds before the burger is done. Add a tbs. of water next to the burger, and cover with alid. The steam will melt the cheese beautifully.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom