ISO help/advice w/Lodge cast iron combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I recently bought this. It just came in the mail. Excited! I haven't worked with them in quite awhile. I do have one of there dutch oven pots that I have used a lot. Link to what I bought is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JKG9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking for any advise on the new product. It has small amount of instructions and does state to oil preferably when pan is still warm after use. It doesn't say anything about putting oil on it before the first use.

I have Extra Virgin Olive oil a lot in my house and occasionally have other oils. Does it matter what oil I use? It states Vegetable oil. Actually it says only use Soy Vegetable Oil. Really?

The other thing that comes in mind is for the frying pan. it says heat and cool gradually. So that mans if I'm going to say sear or even mostly cook meat for example on high, I shouldn't just turn it on high right away like I normally would? I have a gas stove.

Any advise so I don't ruin my new pans would be appreciated. :)

The pans are pre-seasoned so you can start cooking right away. Use oil in them as you would any other pan.

A light coating of oil after cooking and cleaning will add to the seasoning and keep the pans in great shape.

I've never heard of the restriction to soy bean oil before. Maybe because it's fairly cheap and has a high smoke point. But so do other oils, such as corn, peanut, safflower, etc. Stick with a neutral flavored oil for seasoning and olive oil for cooking.

What Andy said. Regarding the heating, right, just turn it to medium to heat it up. It will hold a lot of heat and won't cool down quickly if you need to reduce the heat, so it's better not to overheat it in the beginning.

Don't worry. It's really hard to ruin cast iron.

First off, cast iron pans will crack under certain conditions such as very hot pan and a cold steak. Use medium heat to sear cast iron works just fine. If really season a cast rion pan get good beef fat such as scraps from strip, cut it into 1/2 inch cubes and cook it to cracklings. Remove the cracklings and enjoy them while the pan cools down. Pour out grease and wipe the pan with a paper towel. Let it sit. After each use just wipe out the pan with a paper towel. If burnt on material remains use a dilute dishwashing solution and a rough rag or plastic scrubber. If that doesn't work just put water in pan, a few drops of soap and put on on low heat. Never hard scrub a cast iron pan till its 6th year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom