ISO help/advice with chicken soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
Its cold and we expect icy weather this weekend.
So yesterday I buy some chicken thighs, aromatics (Mirepoix) and egg noodles.
I have made chicken soup/stock by roasting the chicken first or just putting raw chicken into water. I am going to use boxed chicken stock instead of water this time.
Whats the opinion on roasting the thighs first or using raw thighs? Leave skin on or remove?
I plan to saute the Mirepoix before adding the liquid. Do you guys think I should simmer the thighs in liquid before using the Mirepoix.
I don't want the carrots, onion and celery to disintegrate in the soup.

I make chicken noodle soup from roasted or baked carcasses.
strip the meat & reserve
simmer the bones with onion/carrot/celery/peppercorns/bayleaf - 4-5 hours
chill
it should set up into a nice gel mixture...
remove solid fats on top
reheat slightly

remove meat from bones
toss veggies - they've given their all.

reheat resulting stock, reducing if needed
add onion/carrot/celery
taste for salt & pepper / other seasoning as desired

later add curly egg noodles; 12 - 15 minute pasta cook time

ten minutes prior to service, add chicken meat

I would like to make it today and not have to do several steps. I bought chicken thighs. I can roast, then braise until tender then strip the meat and return the bones to the stock.

I was hoping to skip the roasting. I could brown them up in the soup pot first, then remove and saute the Mirepoix, then add the Mirepoix, and chicken thighs back in with the stock.
Then when the chicken is tender I can remove and strip. Add noodles and return the chicken pieces back in.

Any suggestions on herbs? I have fresh Italian parsley and all sorts of dried herbs.
Am I overdoing this by using boxed chicken stock? I want it to be good and rich.
I could use one box and then add water as needed.

Last edited:
Roasting the chicken to brown it a bit adds extra flavor. However, you can fry the chicken in a bit of butter and oil in the same pot you will by making the soup in to develop that same flavor. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then. remove the chicken from the pot, and add your mirepoix. Cook until the onions become tender, and deglaze with a quart of chicken stock. Remove the chicken meat from the bones. Dice the meat and place back into the pot, with the bones. season with ground thyme, sage, salt, and pepper, and optionally, ginger. After simmering for an hour, check the fluid level, and seasonings. Adjust as needed. Add noodles, rice, pearl barley, or drop biscuit dough for steamed dumplings. Serve with buttered rustic French bread.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If you roast the thighs, skin and all, you´ll probably get a more intense flavour than if you didn´t.
As for the mirepoix (sofrito, garlic/ginger/chile) - it´s the basis for a dish. If it dissolves, no matter; it´s there to provide a flavour base for whatever dish you´re preparing.
Me? I´d toast the thighs, add them to the mirepoix MINUS skin ( I give that to the dog:LOL::LOL:) because it´s a texture I wouldn´t want in my dish. Use the pan juices for the soup.

Classic Jewish penicillin has a few rules that I learned from my friends' moms when I was growing up.

Use raw, skin-on, bone-in chicken parts. Using a whole chicken is good, but adding more wings, backs, and necks to the whole raw bird is even better.

Never allow the soup to boil, and skim off any weird scum often as it slowly simmers.

Add whole onions with their skins on at first, eventually removing them along with the chicken skin and bones before adding the rest of the veggies before the final slow cook.

Finally, it should always have fresh parsley and dill in it.

Last edited:
If you roast the thighs, skin and all, you´ll probably get a more intense flavour than if you didn´t.
As for the mirepoix (sofrito, garlic/ginger/chile) - it´s the basis for a dish. If it dissolves, no matter; it´s there to provide a flavour base for whatever dish you´re preparing.
Me? I´d toast the thighs, add them to the mirepoix MINUS skin ( I give that to the dog:LOL::LOL:) because it´s a texture I wouldn´t want in my dish. Use the pan juices for the soup.

That skin, when fried golden brown, and crispy, is better than bacon. Don't give it to the dog. That's what dog treats are for.;)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nolrth

Thanks. My sofrito is onions, garlic, bell pepper. More Latin origin. My soup had onion, celery, carrot, garlic.

Roasting the chicken to brown it a bit adds extra flavor. However, you can fry the chicken in a bit of butter and oil in the same pot you will by making the soup in to develop that same flavor. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then. remove the chicken from the pot, and add your mirepoix. Cook until the onions become tender, and deglaze with a quart of chicken stock. Remove the chicken meat from the bones. Dice the meat and place back into the pot, with the bones. season with ground thyme, sage, salt, and pepper, and optionally, ginger. After simmering for an hour, check the fluid level, and seasonings. Adjust as needed. Add noodles, rice, pearl barley, or drop biscuit dough for steamed dumplings. Serve with buttered rustic French bread.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thats how I did it. Chief. Since I didn't get many responses early enough I just used a little common sense.
Sauteed/brown the thighs in the soup pot then added about 3 cups stock. Simmered one hour. Removed chicken and resulting stock and then sauteed the aromatics.
Then added the reserved chicken and stock with some thyme, S&P back to the pot.
Simmered another hour and allowed it to sit. Later I cooked my egg noodles in the soup broth and served the bowls like a oriental noodle bowl.
Came out very good.

I know that I'm a day late on this one.but yet, here's how I make my chicken soup, but without the noodles.

I buy the whole chicken.i wash/rinse it of I then put a pot of water on.in which I use bottled water only.on account the city water don't taste right boil until the chicken is falling off the bones.i then set up a large pot with a wire strainer on it.and cheese cloth in the strainer.then pour the chicken and water into it.in which the water is broth by this time.i let it sit and cool.then poor the broth back into the larger pot.then I debone the chicken and place the chicken directly into the broth.then I add the veggies.i also add salt, pepper and bay leaves.

Can I use cubes of chicken breasts or drumsticks to make chicken soup?

Classic Jewish penicillin has a few rules that I learned from my friends' moms when I was growing up.

Use raw, skin-on, bone-in chicken parts. Using a whole chicken is good, but adding more wings, backs, and necks to the whole raw bird is even better.

Never allow the soup to boil, and skim off any weird scum often as it slowly simmers.

Add whole onions with their skins on at first, eventually removing them along with the chicken skin and bones before adding the rest of the veggies before the final slow cook.

Finally, it should always have fresh parsley and dill in it.

Exactly. And that is pure Jewish chicken soup. You can add separately cooked noodles or rice directly into your serving dish. Do not use white meat it is a waste for a soup. All the flavor is in a dark meat. When all is said and done soup should be as clear as a tear, as they say, you should be able to see to the bottom of the pot. Doesn't get any better on a cold night.
No roasting, no store bout soup liquid, no garlic either.

Exactly. And that is pure Jewish chicken soup. You can add separately cooked noodles or rice directly into your serving dish. Do not use white meat it is a waste for a soup. All the flavor is in a dark meat. When all is said and done soup should be as clear as a tear, as they say, you should be able to see to the bottom of the pot. Doesn't get any better on a cold night.
No roasting, no store bout soup liquid, no garlic either.

I love it: as clear as a tear. I've never heard that one befire. Clear with a golden hue. I'd imagine that by keeping cooking temps low, a lot of nutrients are retained. That takes a lot of attention, along with the skimming.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom