ISO help for "cold" entrees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
I need some ideas for cold dishes please.. I used search, but may get different replies with this thread. I dont want pasta, n dont want to prepare TOO much, n no meat please... Im thinking maybe a tortilla wrap or sandwich. But all ideas welcome. ;)

Shamalicious,
why not give us a list of ingrediets that you would like to use. Are you doing this just for 2 or for something special? I just posted a recipe for a salad sandwich. It does use tuna, but you could forgo the tuna and add another veggie in it. A sanwich we all like here is foccacia, sliced through to look like snadwich bread, brush the insids with evoo, then fill with grilled eggplant,camalized onions and mushrooms, top with your favorite melting cheese,wrap in foil and put on the grill til the cheese melts.I know you said cold,but these are good at room temp andI've done them a day ahead and just wrapped in foil and refrigerate til an hour or so before I need them.

kadesma

A Chinese chicken salad, with some sliced marinted chicken breast on top and a tangy dressing, is an excellent cold entrée. There are 384 variations available at Cooks.com alone.

Supper salads

SHAMALICIOUS said:
I need some ideas for cold dishes please.. I used search, but may get different replies with this thread. I dont want pasta, n dont want to prepare TOO much, n no meat please... Im thinking maybe a tortilla wrap or sandwich. But all ideas welcome. ;)

Hi. When you say no meat, do you mean just beef, or chicken and fish, too?

I made a salmon salad last weekend with leftover poached salmon that could be served over greens with sliced tomatoes to make a supper salad. Here are some more ideas: Main dish salads, including shrimp salad, chicken salads, and sandwich fillings.

There are so many ideas but I guess as others stated a few more details would be good.

Sandwiches - Cucumber with a tangy cream cheese spread. Season the cheese with some roasted garlic, freshly chopped dill, salt and black pepper

Lettuce Wraps - Fill them with freshly chopped veggies (thinly sliced red, yellow and green bell peppers, some bean sprouts, handful of red cabbage, fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts and a sweet and tangy dressing made with soy sauce, brown sugar, some chili sauce).

Black Bean Wraps - Canned black beans, frozen or fresh corn (blanched and drained), chopped tomatoes, chopped red onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic chopped and a chili if you like heat chopped. Serve in a tortilla and top with some shredded cheese.

Tabbouleh Salad - Bulgar Wheat soaked for 2-3 hours, Drain and add finely chopped cucumbers, freshly chopped parsley, freshly chopped mint, some chopped scallions, salt, lemon juice and some olive oil.

Veggie Sandwiches that are a staple in my house - First make a cilantro and mint chutney (1 bunch of cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 green chili, salt, lots of lime juice, 1 cup of mint and 2 tsp of sugar- Add all of this to a food processor and grind it until a nice paste consistency)

Spread it on regular sandwich bread and top with sliced boiled potatoes, sliced cucumbers and sliced fresh tomatoes). It is excellent

SHAMALICIOUS said:
Hello Shamalicious -

You mention you want no meat and no heat. I would like to suggest a BLT without the bacon. If your bread and tomato is fresh enough, a sandwhich will stand on it's own. You did not mention that dairy was out, so I assume mayo is okay ;-)

Also, if dairy is not out, have you considered various stuffed veggies (like bell, green, or hot peppers) with a mixture of cream cheese and other things that might fit the menu?

A third idea may be a vegitable wrap that starts with lettice or cabbage. If wraps or bread items that can be thin are acceptable, and cream cheese (dairy) is okay, you can use a combination of the wrap material, cream chease, and many different vegitables such as roasted red pepers or mushrooms to make a wrap type item that you slice thin, and everyone can enjoy.

Just to make sure with three suggestions that you have considered the cooling requirement as mayo and cream chees do need to stay at cool temptretures until consummed.

Good Luck,

Casper

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom