ISO Ideas Using Leftover Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I have some sauce left over from spaghetti. I already made a pizza with some of it and would welcome some new ideas to use it up. TIA.

I like to boil and shred chicken and put it in the spaghetti sauce even if it's a meat sauce (which mine is). I sometimes don't even put it over pasta, just eat it.

You can mix with some ricotta, Italian sausage, orichietti pasta and bake until bubbly. It's good even without the sausage.

I freeze the leftovers.

Yeah that!. (1) Make Meat Ball Subs. (2) Make Cavatini(sp) by adding cooked italian sausage, pepperoni, bell peppers and wagon wheel pasta. Put cheese on top and bake until heated through. (3) Make Calzones. (4) Slow cook a chuck roast in it(Italian Gravy). (5) Italian Veggies. Salute chopped zuke, onion, peppers and yellow squash. Add just enough sauce to coat and flavor, heat through. (6) Veal or Eggplant Parmesan.:chef:

Assuming this is sauce without meat:

Along the lines of what PattY1 suggested (and she stole some of my ideas :LOL:) - (1) Italian sausage subs, (2) Brown some chicken thighs (legs or breasts), remove to a plate and saute some sliced onion with garlic and mushrooms, add sauce and nestle the chicken back into the skillet, and top with mozzarella, cover and finish in a 350ºF oven for 30-40 minutes. (3) Add to some browned ground lamb with garlic and onion, add a little more oregano, some cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg - you now have a Greek meat sauce to make Moussaka. (4) Sear some cubed steak, then saute some onion and green bell pepper, add your sauce, nestle the beef back into the skillet, cover, and smmer over med-low about 60 minutes - also works with pork chops (shorter cooking time). (5) Use it to make Shrimp Creole to serve over rice or pasta. (6) Use it to sauce some 3-cheese and spinach stuffed shells. ... the list goes on ....

There are so many things you can use red sauce for that it's hard to know where to start!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great ideas. I usually don't have spaghetti left over but I'm still getting used to cooking for only 2 of us instead of 4!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I usually don't have spaghetti left over but I'm still getting used to cooking for only 2 of us instead of 4!

Oh, my, jabbur! I understand. I had "serious" withdrawal symptoms when my family went from 9 (there were more at one point) to 2. I still peel a bucketful of potatoes when mashed potatoes are on the menu. It's been years and I'm still adjusting.

polenta topper? freeze it for next time? Add more veggies and turn it into a stew. Toss a whole chicken in it and make cacciatore. Top meatloaf, chicken parm, add some vodka and cream make vodka sauce. What all is in your sauce?

polenta topper? freeze it for next time? Add more veggies and turn it into a stew. Toss a whole chicken in it and make cacciatore. Top meatloaf, chicken parm, add some vodka and cream make vodka sauce. What all is in your sauce?

Polenta topper is exactly what I do. I make a single serving of polenta by microwaving water to boiling and stirring in coarse cornmeal, top with the sauce and cheese. If I have any leftover meats in the refridgerator (several have been mentioned, but I'll use deli lunchmeats like salami, too) I'll add those.

all great ideas; I do them too. I always make more than I need usually using #10 cans of tomatoes, or baskets of roasted end of season fresh etc. It freezes well and has so many adaptations and applications.

other ideas: swordfish milanese (pounded egg and breadcrumb, pan fried in butter) would be great topped with tomato sauce!

sauted liver is made much milder with the acids from tomato sauce...very tasty!

make a vegetable gratin...squash and eggplant with the sauce and cheese. yum

Right now it's a meat sauce with ground beef, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
Even though it has the beef in it, I think it will be good for some of these suggestions. Thanks everyone. I'm a decent cook, just not very creative sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom