ISO- Meatball Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
OK, I have never made meatballs & I want to make some to go with our spaghetti tonight. I would really appriciate any good, easy recipes for some meatballs! I wanna get my hands dirty today! :LOL:

I don't have a specific recipe, but I like using 3 kinds of meat. For example I like using ground veal, beef, and pork. This adds a lot of flavor.

Hi Crewsk...here's my recipe which I posted quite sometime ago..I also make my own sauce..
Posted: 27-Sep-2004 07:20 AM Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Just made Spaghetti and Meatballs last night...we like mine hope you do too...some measurements may be approx..I go by feel.
8oz chuck
8oz veal
8oz pork
4 garlic cloves minced and sauted till soft in a bit of olive oil
Handful finely chopped fresh Itallian parsley (I have a small hand...)
1/4c grated parmesan cheese or more (I definitly use more)
1/4c breadcrumbs or more (I use dry unflavored)
2lg eggs
salt and pepper
Mix all..until combined but don't overmix...mixture will be moist but will not stick to your hands...that is the test!!
Form meatballs into size of your choice (I make fairly small..ping pong ball size)
Fry in 1/2c mix olive oil and vege or canola oil...till golden..blot off oil..
Add to pot of sauce to finish cooking.
This recipe yields approx 18-20 meatballs...We are only 2 sooo for us its 2 meals!
Enjoy!

there are 2 schools of thought on it, as far as i see it crewsk. the one like abj mentioned, with the mixture of ground beef, veal, and pork; and just straight beef. since i usually add pork to the sauce in the form of sausages and rib ends, i make mine just from beef.

i use 85 percent lean beef, and to every pound, and in a large mixing bowl, i add: 3 large or 2 jumbo eggs, and then i eye about 1/3 of the volume of meat in italian seasoned breadcrumbs, about a cup and a half to 2 cups maybe (if you don't have seasoned breadcrumbs, just mix dried oregano, basil, savory, majoram, and just a pinch of thyme to your regular breadcrumbs), and then i add about a cup of dried parsley.
that's it for the plain meatballs.
i like to add a half cup of finley grated locatelli romano cheese, and about 3 tbsps of (lightly browned in evoo) crushed and finely chopped garlic.
mash and mix the whole thing together with your bare hands until evenly mixed, and then form balls slightly larger than golf balls. brown them on at least 3 sides in a medium hot frying pan in light olive oil, and then into the sauce they go. cook in simmering sauce for at least a hlf hour, until cooked thru.

make mine!!! make mine!!!! (only kidding).
oops, i forgot to add 3 tbsps of dried oregano.

i've never made meatballs that didn't stick to my hands. i would think they would come out tough if they were dry to start with. crewsk, lemme know which method you use, and if you try abj's way, let me know how the dry thing turned out. k?

Bucky...mine aren't dry...but like a meatloaf mixture its moist but doesn't stick to your hands when forming.

So she should pick mine!!!!!!

oops, i meant chez suz's way.

ok crewsk, but i forgot to mention that mine make you run faster and jump higher, and they are good to leave out for santa clause if you want more presents... ;)

I don't use only the meat. I do believe that it would come out too dry if you do that. I did put bread crumbs eggs ect. in it. I was just stating that different types of meat gave it more flavor. If I remember right the meatball recipe that I used that had all three types was from Martha Stewart. I'm not sure if I can find the recipe, but if I do I will post it.

Crewsk,
OK here is the recipe that I tried that I liked so much.

SPAGHETTI & MEATBALLS WITH MARK
(to see a picture go here http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3981&search=true&resultNo=3)

Serves 6 to 8

1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 pound ground veal
1/4 pound ground pork
1/4 pound ground beef
1 egg white
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
Coarse salt (to taste)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound dry spaghetti
3 cups Mark Strausman’s Tomato Sauce

1. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Place ground meats in a large mixing bowl. Remove onions from heat, and add to ground meats. Add egg white, egg yolks, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and breadcrumbs to bowl, and combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red-pepper flakes and oregano, and mix well to combine.

2. Roll the ground-meat mixture into golf ball–sized meatballs. Place on a baking sheet covered with breadcrumbs, and roll. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add meatballs, and brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove meatballs from the pan, and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Discard remaining oil. Return meatballs to pan, and cover with 3 cups tomato sauce. Slowly simmer over medium heat, until meatballs are heated through, about 15 minutes.

3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti, and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes, or according to package instructions. Drain, and add cooked spaghetti to the sauce mixture. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

I love these - they are not your average meatball. They have lots of character!

Ginger Snap Meatballs
1 lb Lean ground meat (beef or pork work best)
3/4 c Bread crumbs
1 Onion, minced finely
Salt and fresh pepper to taste
2 tb Lemon juice
2 tb Water
4 tb Canola oil
2 c Beef broth
1 c Dark Beer (ale, Guinness, honey lager, etc)
1/4 c Brown sugar
3/4 c Gingersnap crumbs

1.Mix meat, bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, 1 tb lemon juice, and water in a bowl. Mix well; form meat mixture into 1 inch balls.
2.Heat oil in a medium skillet; brown meatballs on all sides. Remove balls from pan.
3.Add broth, beer, and 1 tb lemon juice to pan drippings, scraping up leftover bits.
4.Bring broth/pan scrapings to a boil; add brown sugar and gingersnap crumbs. Add meatballs to sauce and cook, covered, 10 minutes or until balls are cooked through. Stir once, then simmer uncovered 5 minutes to reduce sauce slightly. Serve warm with crusty bread or over rice or noodles.

hmmm, i expected maple syrup in there somewhere, kansasgirl, lol.

these look good, especially with the lemon, beer, and gingersnaps. thanks!

Thanks kansasgirl & abj! These look good too.

OK, the votes are now in! I gave thie kids a choice between all the meatball recipes posted here & they chose buckytom's. I'll be saving them all because I want to try them all!

Thank you all for your help & recipes, I really apriciate it! :D

was it the running and jumping part, crewsk? he hee, i cheated a little there. actually, all of our meatball recipes are pretty close. meat(s), breadcrumbs, eggs, herbs.
the next time i make them, i'm gonna try adding more breadcrumbs and less eggs to see if making them less sticky helps.

btw, abj, i agree that the three meats are tasty, i just like all beef since i add pork to the sauce. they even sell packages of the three ground meats together in supermarkets by me especially for meatballs and meatloaf.

I didn't even let them see that part bucky! :LOL: I printed each recipe & let my son read them to his sister & they sat here & talked about it like too little chefs. It was cute! They both agreed on yours but said that they want to try the other ones too. My sons bright idea was for me to make them all tonight! :LOL: As much as I would love to do that, I don't have quite that much time to play in meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom