ISO Meatloaf Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my husband was first diagnosed with high cholesterol I tried making meat loaves and patties from beans, then just using beans as part of it, with just some meat. They were quite tasty, but fell apart too easily. Now carbs are his major concern.

I like onion in my meatloaf too, but didn't like it that some were not cooked enough, so now I use dried onion flakes.

I have saute'd them before, but I'm lazy and don't like the added step or extra grease.

I saute all veg that go in my meatloaf; uncooked, they shrink and create holes in the loaf, making it difficult to slice neatly.

I don't use much breadcrumbs, so I'm used to having some on hand. Leftover bread gets cubed and used as filler for meatloaf.

Other fillers I use are leftover cornbread, stuffing mix, and seasoned croutons.

I'd probably use oatmeal, but the last time I tried it I guess I used too much, and didn't like the meatloaf, so I've never tried it again.

In case of the salmon patties, I used a little of the Panko because I was out of the seasoned breadcrumbs I normally keep on hand.

I liked that the Panko was unseasoned. If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't have tasted it. I also didn't use egg to bind because it would have overpowered the salmon flavor. I used just enough mayo to hold the patties together.

I made the patties and dredged them in 1/2 chicken Shake n' Bake, 1/2 Panko (for a less salty taste). They were the most delicious and crunchy patties ever.

Here in New England we make cod fish cakes. I don't like them premade. My butcher shop sells them that way. Too salty, too over seasoned.

Simple to make. Soaked and Cleaned salted cod, flaked, S&P, 1 egg, fresh bread crumbs, toasted bread crumbs to coat with. No mayo. :yum:

I like onion in my meatloaf too, but didn't like it that some were not cooked enough, so now I use dried onion flakes.

I have saute'd them before, but I'm lazy and don't like the added step or extra grease.

My excuse for everything . . . . but I am lazy. It works for me. :ohmy:

I process the veggies that go into my meatloaf. No big uncooked chunks, even distribution and moister meatloaf.

I always add a splash of milk to ground meat. It helps to make the meat tender and holds the moisture level high.

Also, anytime I go to a diner to eat, I ALWAYS order meatloaf. There is just something special about diner meatloaf. With a big pool of gravy in the middle of the volcano of mashed potatoes. :yum::yum:

Here in New England we make cod fish cakes. I don't like them premade. My butcher shop sells them that way. Too salty, too over seasoned.

Simple to make. Soaked and Cleaned salted cod, flaked, S&P, 1 egg, fresh bread crumbs, toasted bread crumbs to coat with. No mayo. :yum:

I tried the mayo instead of the egg because sometimes the egg flavor tends to overpower. This was the first time I tried it and I was very pleased with the result and will probably do it that way again. I couldn't taste the Panko or the mayo. just salmon.

The way I made fish patties (tuna or salmon) before, I used seasoned breadcrumbs and an egg. They tasted like fishy fried eggs. Yuk!:ohmy:

Unfortunately, I don't have cod available.

I tried the mayo instead of the egg because sometimes the egg flavor tends to overpower. This was the first time I tried it and I was very pleased with the result and will probably do it that way again. I couldn't taste the Panko or the mayo. just salmon.

The way I made fish patties (tuna or salmon) before, I used seasoned breadcrumbs and an egg. They tasted like fishy fried eggs. Yuk!:ohmy:

Unfortunately, I don't have cod available.

You live in N.O. You could make fish cakes of any number of fish. Do they sell salted cod in the wooden box in your supermarket? Here it is very expensive so I can imaginge what it would cost down there. Most of our salted cod comes in from P.E.I. in Canada. :yum:

Normally, I don't fry anything, but I received 2 cans of salmon, two months in a row, and I just wanted to recreate the salmon croquettes like I used to get in the school lunchroom, oh so many, many years ago.

We kind of got off topic here, though.

Back to meatloaf: I like the idea someone posted of using chili sauce instead of catsup.

If I've used leftover cornbread as my filler, I also use a taco seasoning packet and top with salsa.

Normally, I don't fry anything, but I received 2 cans of salmon, two months in a row, and I just wanted to recreate the salmon croquettes like I used to get in the school lunchroom, oh so many, many years ago.

We kind of got off topic here, though.

Back to meatloaf: I like the idea someone posted of using chili sauce instead of catsup.

If I've used leftover cornbread as my filler, I also use a taco seasoning packet and top with salsa.

When I am lazy I use the McCormick meatloaf seasoning in the packet. :ermm:

Has anyone made the individual meatloaf in muffin tins? Since muffin tins do not have a way of letting out the rendered fat, that the individual loafs would be sitting in a pool of juices and fats. You would have to use a very lean meat.

And when you make a sandwich the next day, do you put it on the bread in slices or do you mash it and then spread it on the bread? I like to mash mine and add a touch of ketchup. Plus spread ketchup on the bread. It helps to hide the taste of the bread. :chef:

I was asked for the Chicken Meatloaf recipe, so here it is. Enjoy.

Chicken Meatloaf
Ingredients:
All veggies must be finely minced
*2 lb. ground chicken (I grind it myself and it's virtually fat free)
*3 stalks celery
*1 stalk bok choy
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1 onion, minced
*2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
*1/8 tsp. Chines 5-spice powder
*2 tbs soy sauce
*2 fresh cayenne, or your favorite hot peppers, *minced (optional)
*3 tbs. milk

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Grease a loaf pan. Place the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan and place in a 350' oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 160' in the loaf center.

When finished, run a knife around all sides, let rest for 10 minutes or so, and turn loaf onto a serving platter. Serve with plumb sauce, or your favorite sweet & sour sauce.

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
Ingredients:
Chicken bones from one whole d-boned chicken
Skin from the same chicken
1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple with can liqueur
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups water
apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/2 onion, finely minced, or 1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
a dash of Chinese 5-spice powder

Place the chicken skins in a dry sauce pan over medium heat, along with the bones. Cook until the skins are crispy. Lightly salt it all and stir to brown the bones on all sides. Add the water and cover. cook at a low boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove the skins and bones. Taste it. Add salt until it tastes just right to you.

Add the remaining ingredients except the vinegar and stir to dissolve the brown sugar. The sauce should have a bright, sharp flavor, where each ingredient can be tasted, and each is bold. It also should be fairly sweet. Correct the seasonings until you get the flavor just where you want it. But remember, add spices sparingly. You can always add more if you need to. But once you put it in the pot, you can't take it out.

Ok, is it just right? Good. Now add the vinegar, a splash at a time. Stir it in and taste it. You will know when the sweet and sour components are balanced just right.

Finally, make a slurry of two tbs. cornstarch in a 1/4 cup of water. Slowly stir that into the boiling sauce until it develops to the thickness you want. Remove from heat and cover until the rest of your meal is ready.

This sweet & sour sauce goes great with rice, chicken chow mein, egg rolls, spring rolls, chicken meat balls, chicken meat loaf, pork, bbq'd pork, etc. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom