ISO method/methods for making TENDER SOFT AIRY cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
I've tried various ways and methods to make cakes, yet I haven't found the kind I love, namely TENDER SOFT AIRY MOIST CREAMY DELICATE cakes.

I do NOT like sponge cake, for it's too springing and dry to the mouth.

I like pound cake TASTE yet I don't like its being dense.

I have even tried varying some recipes and alter/add what I THINK what might contribute to the qualities I like, yet never successful!

Chiffon cakes are OK to me, because they are SOFT yet not creamy enough in the mouth.

Please shed light with me. thanks

Just about 20 years ago, I went to an Asian country and had several pieces of the cakes. They were almost with light cheesecake consistency, very creamy, yet very airy. The airiness was NOT like sponge or angel cake with visible tiny air pockets and springy. There was almost no crumb dropping when eating. If there was crumb, it was so tiny and buttery.

Thus, I tried adding more sour cream to the recipes I tried or even whipped cream cheese, yet never were they close to the cakes I had in Asia.

What I am trying to find is a recipe that is very much CREAMY creamy and creamy with very small crumb if any...

Last edited:
dcSaute, thank you for your reply. This type of cake has been part of my reasoning too, yet it's still a little too cheesecake-like when I tried making whipped cheesecake. Also, the creamy cakes I described had no crust at all at the bottom either. However, crust or not is not a necessity for cheesecake, correct?.

Yes, I do like your suggestion by experimenting with some more cake flour into.

Thanks

Last edited:
Beat the egg whites into a maeague, then fold into the batter. Chinese cheesecakes have more egg ij them than do New York style cheesecakes. However, New York Cjeesecakes shouldn't be dense and heavy. If should be silky smooth and creamy
If yourNew York style cheesecake is demse, and heavy, you 've cooke it too long. The oven needs to be turned off while the center of the custard still jiggles j ust a
Little.

a crust is not "required" - but something will be needed to get the cake out of the pan. cakes that are moist and tender do not generally 'fall out' of the bake pan regularly.

option: spring form pans

any number of powder ingredients could be used to affect the crumb -

cake flour
rice flour
corn starch
nut flours . . marzipan cheesecake - WOW!

I see many tasty experiments in the making . . .

Just about 20 years ago, I went to an Asian country and had several pieces of the cakes. They were almost with light cheesecake consistency, very creamy, yet very airy.
What I am trying to find is a recipe that is very much CREAMY creamy and creamy with very small crumb if any...

To me, it sounds like you're describing a Japanese Cheesecake (also called Cotton Cheesecake), which is not like a North American cheesecake. A popular version around here is the Uncle Tetsu's (Japanese) cheesecake which is lovely, tender, light, creamy. And similar to a chiffon cake with more richness.

Here's a sample recipe:

Ingredients
• 5 large eggs , at room temperature
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
• 1/2 cup sugar , divided
• 8 oz cream cheese , at room temperature
• 1/2 cup low-fat milk
• 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 Tbsp corn starch

Instructions
1 Line the bottom and side of an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper. Wrap the springform pan with several sheets of foil, sealing it completely.
2 Fill a large baking pan halfway with water. Place it in the oven on the lowest rack. Preheat the oven to 315 F (157 C)
3 Separate the eggs and place the egg whites into a mixing bowl and the yolks into a measuring cup.
4 Beat the egg whites on Low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to Medium Low and beat for another 30 seconds or until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Increase the speed to Medium High and beat until the egg whites just start to thicken. Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually. Continue beating until the egg whites reach the soft peaks stage (approximately 3 minutes using a stand mixer).

5 In a separate bowl, add the cream cheese and milk. Mix on Low speed until creamy and smooth (approximately 2-3 minutes). Add the butter, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute. Add the flour and corn starch and mix for another minute. Finally add the egg yolks and mix for 1 more minute. Strain the batter using a sieve.

6 Add 1/3 of the egg whites and gently fold into the batter until mostly incorporated. Add another 1/3 and gently fold. Add the remaining 1/3 and gently fold.
7 Pour the batter into the lined springform pan. Spread the batter evenly into the pan and smooth out the top using a spatula. Holding the side of the pan, gently lift and drop the pan on the counter about 6 times to remove any big air bubbles.

8 Place the springform pan into the water bath and bake the cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. (It should come out clean.) Bake the cake for an additional 10-15 minutes to brown the top.

9 Turn off the oven and open the oven door slightly (about 2-3 inches) and let the cake cool in the oven for 1 hour.
10 Remove the from the pan. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom